+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barry Davies

Re: Barry Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Can't believe you've failed to mention the legend that was Hugh Johns. Shame on you.
    Glad you mentioned Hugh Johns he was a really good commentator and journalist. I went to his funeral in 2007 where I met and chatted to Barry Davies who was a really delightful and interesting man. I also spoke to Jim Rosenthal, Peter Corrigan and Peter Jackson at the funeral. Interestingly no-one had a good word to say about John Motson.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Glad you mentioned Hugh Johns he was a really good commentator and journalist. I went to his funeral in 2007 where I met and chatted to Barry Davies who was a really delightful and interesting man. I also spoke to Jim Rosenthal, Peter Corrigan and Peter Jackson at the funeral. Interestingly no-one had a good word to say about John Motson.
    Roger Malone was a fantastic commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I never rated Motson and Brian Moore. Like many British commentators, I found them very sycophantic, jingoistic and juvenile. I watch German TV a bit and the commentary is far more balanced and grown up.
    Who the Fu-*k watches German TV other than Germans and you?
    You seem to have a bizarre lifestyle genie, if you don’t mind me saying!

Alan Green has absolutely no place on this thread.

Can't believe you've failed to mention the legend that was Hugh Johns. Shame on you.
    Fair point. CAn I redeem myself by saying I have 6 x 180 minute VHS tapes in my mother’s of highlights of City games and goals, mainly with Hugh Johns commentating?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Fair point. CAn I redeem myself by saying I have 6 x 180 minute VHS tapes in my mother’s of highlights of City games and goals, mainly with Hugh Johns commentating?

Forgiven although in the days of VHS you're pushing it by describing it as having any highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Who the Fu-*k watches German TV other than Germans and you?
    You seem to have a bizarre lifestyle genie, if you don’t mind me saying!
    Why, thank you

Forgiven although in the days of VHS you're pushing it by describing it as having any highlights.
    92/93 season is the jewel in the vhs crown

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Barry Davies was excellent. Motson and Gubba awful.
    Agree entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I couldn’t bear Brian Moore either. Barry Davies was my favourite.
    I think John Murray is the best of the current bunch.
    Agree on John Murray. The best there is on the radio these days. I also liked Darren Fletcher before he moved to the telly. His Friday night programme on 5 Live with Jermaine Jenas is a good listen.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Gubba was useless at both commentary and presenting.

Harry Carpenter was the king of boxing in my opinion

Motson, Davies, Coleman and Moore all bring back good memories to be fair

Alan Green - a complete and utter cock
    Gubba in fairness was the Jack of all trades master of none.
    Harry Carpenter, no question. Ali loved him as did he Ali.
    Green...

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Gubba in fairness was the Jack of all trades master of none.
    Harry Carpenter, no question. Ali loved him as did he Ali.
    Green...
    I think the one thing that all football fans across the country can agree on is that Alan Green is a massive twat.

Great commentator. Just playing some old footage at HT in the scouse match and he was the commentator.

Barry Davies, Brian Moore, John Motson, Harry Carpenter in the boxing, Des Lynam on Grandstand. Is it me or were the commentators and broadcasters so much better pre Sky TV and political correctness took over?

Are we morphing into our parents / grandparents with the old “in my day things were so much better” or were they really that much better?
    It was a travesty that Davies lived in Motty's shadow for too long.

I quite like listening to Martyn Tyler, though some might disagree. He's still a bit old school. How Alan Parry is still commentating is a mystery and the rest on Sky all sound the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It was a travesty that Davies lived in Motty's shadow for too long.

I quite like listening to Martyn Tyler, though some might disagree. He's still a bit old school. How Alan Parry is still commentating is a mystery and the rest on Sky all sound the same.
    Bring back Gordon Sparks, BBC Radio Devon. God knows why he hasn’t been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Wasn't Barry Davies the Franny Lee goal..."look at his face, just look at his face"! ?
    And "Interesting..... VERY INTERESTING".

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Menken View Post
    Bring back Gordon Sparks, BBC Radio Devon. God knows why he hasn’t been mentioned.
    Why would you be interested in Plymouth Argyle?

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Menken View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you been cryogenically frozen and brought back to life?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I think the one thing that all football fans across the country can agree on is that Alan Green is a massive twat.
    The twattiest twat. I’d argue there is no bigger twatted ‘commentator’ (I hate to call him that as it gives him too much credit) in any sport anywhere in the world that conjures up such ill feeling.

I defy anyone to cone up with a bigger twat

(I’m not a fan, in case you hadn’t guessed.... TWAT!)

Not exactly a commentator, but Richard Keys gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Richard Keys?
    Loves a bit of banter

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Not exactly a commentator, but Richard Keys gets my vote.
    "Did you smash It? You smashed it"

I may be in the minority but I liked keys and gray

92/93 season is the jewel in the vhs crown
    Great season for so many different reasons and memories and its fair to say I probably can't remember half of went on👍

Great season for so many different reasons and memories and its fair to say I probably can't remember half of went on👍
    I have you in that tape when we invaded the pitch at Colchester. You weren’t hard to miss in the French flag polo jacket

I had the same jacket so was able to pick myself out in the Man City fa cup invasion

Awww I like Alan Green precisely because he's a massive twat. One comment of his still stands out to me from World Cup '06 when a South American player was feigning an injury, and when the stretcher party came on, he shouted "Oh, here come the Pallbearers!"

Always liked Brian Moore and Tony Gubba (ISS Pro World CUp '98 on the PlayStation). Gerald Sinstadt was always a cozy commentator with a very soothing voice, but could also send you to sleep with it. Most of the current commentators I don't have much time for.

Incidentally, sorry to lower the tone, but does anyone remember the female commentator that they used to have on MOtD? She didn't last long. Sorry to sound sexist, but it just sounded......wrong.