+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BDO Darts Championship

Re: BDO Darts Championship

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Indeed, it seems those running BDO are more concerned with themselves than the actual players.

Money, backing of Sky led to professionalism, something players recognised and wanted. Professionalism leads to higher standards, which drives the sport on.

Those running the BDO are seeing their gravy train drying up.
    Will the PDC be taking on the grass roots level then & organising internationals, county, super league, pub leagues etc? They've shown zero interest in the past and only interest in a select few.

As has been said elsewhere PDC = Premiership = self interest. BDO = FA = all levels. Somebodies got to do it and the PDC not only show no interest, they turn their back on it. I'm not defending the BDO in any way but there's a place for both.

There is indeed place for both.

BDO however want it all. Rather than settle for internationals, grass roots they want their cake and eat it - to run a "world" championship whilst lacking the ability to run the sport professionally.

BDO top brass are desparately clinging to their notion that they run the "real" world championship to gain kudos and prestige.

PDC self interest? What drives a sport to excellence - happy clappy amateurs, low viewing figures or quality professionals with a prefessionally presented product?

Let PDC excel at their professioanl product, let BDO run grass roots. Both can co-exist that way. Just don't pretend BDO "world" championship has any meaning.

There is indeed place for both.

BDO however want it all. Rather than settle for internationals, grass roots they want their cake and eat it - to run a "world" championship whilst lacking the ability to run the sport professionally.

BDO top brass are desparately clinging to their notion that they run the "real" world championship to gain kudos and prestige.

PDC self interest? What drives a sport to excellence - happy clappy amateurs, low viewing figures or quality professionals with a prefessionally presented product?

Let PDC excel at their professioanl product, let BDO run grass roots. Both can co-exist that way. Just don't pretend BDO "world" championship has any meaning.
    Agreed. The problems exist because of a lack of communication between the two and because there is only one really true World Championship. The BDO would never relinquish their version, even if it is growing more inferior by the year. Lakeside is their only jewel, a fading gem that is taken less and less seriously and is a tournament for those who don't want the challenge of the PDC. Best in the world? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Will the PDC be taking on the grass roots level then & organising internationals, county, super league, pub leagues etc? They've shown zero interest in the past and only interest in a select few.

As has been said elsewhere PDC = Premiership = self interest. BDO = FA = all levels. Somebodies got to do it and the PDC not only show no interest, they turn their back on it. I'm not defending the BDO in any way but there's a place for both.
    People seem to forget all the top boys have basically come through the bdo. MVG best was a semi final maybe 2 before going to the pdc

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ah, it's a giant piss up.

Strangely, I go to watch the darts. I thought that's what it was all about. And getting pissed, yes, having a good time and dressing up in silly outfits, yes, but I like watching the darts first and foremost.
    Opinion confirmed

If you want to go to watch the darts, you go to PDC. That's where the quality darts is.

People going to BDO are like those real ale bores droning on with tales of ales of yore...
    It’s ****ing darts for Christ sake

But if you actually want to SEE a dart being thrown 10 feet away from you then the Lakeside is the only place

If you truly want to go and watch the darts then stay at home and watch TV

Richard Veenstra looked good tonight

Yes, tidy arse on him and a cheeky smile too. Definitely fap material.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s ****ing darts for Christ sake

But if you actually want to SEE a dart being thrown 10 feet away from you then the Lakeside is the only place

If you truly want to go and watch the darts then stay at home and watch TV
    I can watch darts being thrown from an even closer distance by going to the pub.

By the sounds of it you're not too bothered about watching the darts, which seems a bit odd for going to a darts tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Yes, tidy arse on him and a cheeky smile too. Definitely fap material.

Those lucious locks did it for me

I can watch darts being thrown from an even closer distance by going to the pub.

By the sounds of it you're not too bothered about watching the darts, which seems a bit odd for going to a darts tournament.
    The only thing I know from your contribution to this thread is that you’re a good google researcher

Your only experience of going to a darts event seems like the PDC Worlds.

My advocacy has been nothing more than to recommend you try both but it seems like you’d rather form your opinions from what you research on the internet or from someone telling you The Lakeside is a shithole.

Odd

The only thing I know from your contribution to this thread is that you’re a good google researcher

Your only experience of going to a darts event seems like the PDC Worlds.

My advocacy has been nothing more than to recommend you try both but it seems like you’d rather form your opinions from what you research on the internet or from someone telling you The Lakeside is a shithole.

Odd
    I've never been to Lakeside. I've been to Ally Pally 4-5 times, a number of Premier League nights around the country, Blackpool, I've also been to a few exhibitions from time to time. I'd like to do a weekend in Minehead and the Grand Slam over the next couple of years.

I'm not interested in going to Lakeside. I grew up watching the Embassy during the 90s and had more interest in that until the early 2000s when I had a Sky Sports subscription. At the time both World Championships were arguably on a par.

Last year was the first time I didn't even watch the BDO world championship on TV. I have been watching less and less of it over the last few years just because it doesn't interest me any more. We know the best BDO players will probably move over again. I can't even see how the winner could be described as the best in the world. Lakeside now is just an average darts tournament, but a great day out if you're right.

It's a shame you rather reply by having a dig at me, not my opinions.

The fact the BDO have to handcuff talented players by laughably having a contract clause that they need to pay back winnings from semi-final of "world" championship if they jump to PDC is hysterical.

Right, because those players can't afford to pay back £4.50 and a doner kebab? Any sensible player wuld simply write it off given the mount of money they can make in PDC if any good.

The fact the BDO have to handcuff talented players by laughably having a contract clause that they need to pay back winnings from semi-final of "world" championship if they jump to PDC is hysterical.

Right, because those players can't afford to pay back £4.50 and a doner kebab? Any sensible player wuld simply write it off given the mount of money they can make in PDC if any good.
    I don't blame them, to be honest. Any organisation worth its salt would want to keep their best talent.

The real issue is still bitterness at the BDO towards the PDC. It wasn't interested in representing its best players 25 years ago and, rather than do something about that, it would rather handcuff its best players in the hope they don't leave. I believe that, if the BDO had marketed itself properly and done more for its best players, in a similar way the PDC has done with more TV exposure, bigger venues etc, darts would be even bigger, players would earn more. Now, the BDO has lost its top brand status to the PDC and that's not coming back.

I'd like to see both organisations merge - the PDC can look after the top players, the BDO would look after everything else. It's what both organisations do best. There could only be one World Championship, though.

My point was more such handcuffing was laughable as it would have little to no effect. Any quality player would sacrifice a piddling amount for the far higher income being with PDC can generate.

You're absolutely right in your post. It's all BDO ego. Let them manage internationals, grass roots. Let the far superior PDC manage the professional game. Just don't pretend the BDO "world" championship is anywhere near relevant.

Only thing I would fault PDC over is the women's game or more accurately lack of it. I'd ike to see PDC along with Sky work on that in a similar fashion to the way Sky have backed netball.

My point was more such handcuffing was laughable as it would have little to no effect. Any quality player would sacrifice a piddling amount for the far higher income being with PDC can generate.

You're absolutely right in your post. It's all BDO ego. Let them manage internationals, grass roots. Let the far superior PDC manage the professional game. Just don't pretend the BDO "world" championship is anywhere near relevant.

Only thing I would fault PDC over is the women's game or more accurately lack of it. I'd ike to see PDC along with Sky work on that in a similar fashion to the way Sky have backed netball.
    Agreed.

I've never been to Lakeside. I've been to Ally Pally 4-5 times, a number of Premier League nights around the country, Blackpool, I've also been to a few exhibitions from time to time. I'd like to do a weekend in Minehead and the Grand Slam over the next couple of years.

I'm not interested in going to Lakeside. I grew up watching the Embassy during the 90s and had more interest in that until the early 2000s when I had a Sky Sports subscription. At the time both World Championships were arguably on a par.

Last year was the first time I didn't even watch the BDO world championship on TV. I have been watching less and less of it over the last few years just because it doesn't interest me any more. We know the best BDO players will probably move over again. I can't even see how the winner could be described as the best in the world. Lakeside now is just an average darts tournament, but a great day out if you're right.

It's a shame you rather reply by having a dig at me, not my opinions.
    Suggest you take another read of your (our) contributions to this post and perhaps re-evaluate

Mind talk and interpretation can have an effect on our views of the world you know

I now know you’ve been to multiple darts events (apart from the Lakeside). I have been to a similar number of darts events from the PDC plus the Lakeside (I think it’s 7 times)

Having tried both, my preference is The Lakeside, and I guess I was trying to justify that experience to anyone who wanted a great experience. I now know you have a closed mind to that and will never go, so no need for me to keep justifying to you.

At the end of the day for me it is about the experience. I’m guessing from your comments that you’re not old enough to have experienced the days when we were at the bottom of what is now League 2 and less than 2,000 people were turning up to watch, but if you had been my guess from your darts approach is that you would probably have been Man Utd or Arsenal fan when you were growing up, because you wanted to watch quality football, and not some lower league drivel

Suggest you take another read of your (our) contributions to this post and perhaps re-evaluate

Mind talk and interpretation can have an effect on our views of the world you know

I now know you’ve been to multiple darts events (apart from the Lakeside). I have been to a similar number of darts events from the PDC plus the Lakeside (I think it’s 7 times)

Having tried both, my preference is The Lakeside, and I guess I was trying to justify that experience to anyone who wanted a great experience. I now know you have a closed mind to that and will never go, so no need for me to keep justifying to you.

At the end of the day for me it is about the experience. I’m guessing from your comments that you’re not old enough to have experienced the days when we were at the bottom of what is now League 2 and less than 2,000 people were turning up to watch, but if you had been my guess from your darts approach is that you would probably have been Man Utd or Arsenal fan when you were growing up, because you wanted to watch quality football, and not some lower league drivel
    Well, most prefer to see quality darts given it's a sporting event.

Comparing darts and football is apples and oranges.

Well, most prefer to see quality darts given it's a sporting event.

Comparing darts and football is apples and oranges.
    I haven't been any Darts event, however I do enjoy watching Darts on TV. Yes the quality of darts at the PDC is leaps and bounds head of the quality on show at the BDO championship, however I have quite enjoyed this years BDO, as I have most years.

I much prefer the atmosphere that comes across from the BDO tournament, in that there is more respect for players when they are throwing. At the PDC you hear the same chants time and time again, "boring, boring tables" etc. In my opinion it appears that the PDC tournaments are now events, in the same way that the Six Nations has become. Yes the quality of rugby (sometimes) is excellent but the supporters are now there for the event rather than the rugby

Good grief, you have taken this personally.

Yes, I have seen us in the bottom division on occasions during the 90s. Not often, not that I need to justify myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    In my opinion it appears that the PDC tournaments are now events, in the same way that the Six Nations has become. Yes the quality of rugby (sometimes) is excellent but the supporters are now there for the event rather than the rugby
    I'm not sure that's so much the case. StraightOuttaCanton has said he prefers the Lakeside for the atmosphere, not so much for the darts.

When we've been struggling in the bottom division I know of fans who have had match tickets but ended up staying in the pub instead of going to watch.

I think going to a sporting event is just that, an event. People go for differing reasons and get enjoyment for differing aspects.

Good match this afternoon between Waites and Baetens.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    I haven't been any Darts event, however I do enjoy watching Darts on TV. Yes the quality of darts at the PDC is leaps and bounds head of the quality on show at the BDO championship, however I have quite enjoyed this years BDO, as I have most years.

I much prefer the atmosphere that comes across from the BDO tournament, in that there is more respect for players when they are throwing. At the PDC you hear the same chants time and time again, "boring, boring tables" etc. In my opinion it appears that the PDC tournaments are now events, in the same way that the Six Nations has become. Yes the quality of rugby (sometimes) is excellent but the supporters are now there for the event rather than the rugby
    That’s a good analogy.

The BDO crowd is indeed respectful but the camrarderie between audience and players is pretty special too.

I don’t recall hearing “Stand Up if you love the darts” being sung at the Lakeside this year, yet it felt like it was every game at PDC. Cringeworthy!
    Last edited by StraightOuttaCanton; 12-01-18 at 21:01. Reason: Typo. Typed low instead of like