+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BDO Darts Championship

BDO Darts Championship

The one that's non-league compared to the PDC Premiership.

Watched for about 3 minutes. Ho hum.

EDIT:

Wolfie Adams lost to the BDO no 1 ranked player, whoever that was.

BDO no 1 ranked player averaged... 84.

Wolfie's reaction? "It was rubbish, wasn't it?". At least he's honest.

Re: BDO Darts Championship

I also watched the first day of the BDO darts and thought it really was crap.

If Adams had stayed in the PDC he wouldn't have won a cup of tea let alone a World title. That's why he dropped down into the BDO boys league.

It’s entertaining enough because it’s so bad.
    Watched one of the women’s games last year and it took an absolute age for someone to hit a treble. Must’ve been about 20 darts thrown before one was fluked in.

Ladies' darts nights in pubs around the country could be improved by scrapping the usual game of 501 and just going straight for double one, which is where most ladies games finish anyway. The time saved could then be spent drinking more heavily than usual and fighting in the car park.

The Lakeside is all about The Lakeside. The darts is of course crap but being there is 1000 times better than being at the PDC.

It’s almost ‘Access All Areas’ for everyone. If you’ve never been, go with a group of mates

But the ticket that gets you access for The men’s Quarters, semis and final, but sell your final ticket as it’s on a Sunday and your liver is killed from the Thu,Fri & Sat

Love to go the the Lakeside. Looks a far better venue than Ally Pally.

Danny Noppert isn't too bad.

He'll win it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I also watched the first day of the BDO darts and thought it really was crap.

If Adams had stayed in the PDC he wouldn't have won a cup of tea let alone a World title. That's why he dropped down into the BDO boys league.
    Hasn't he just come back from prostate cancer? Woolfie was a good player and beating the pdc players in off the Tele tournaments

Reckon this Noppert guy will be good enough to make the step up eventually, on now

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Reckon this Noppert guy will be good enough to make the step up eventually, on now
    I haven't got BT Sport. How's he doing?

Quote Originally Posted by length View Post
    I haven't got BT Sport. How's he doing?
    Just won the first leg and now it’s his darts

2nd leg to Noppert - Very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I've thought it looks more like an old fashioned workmen's club. I've been to Ally Pally 4 or 5 times and love it.

First set to Noppert.
    This Yank he’s playing is shite - avg 65 at the moment.

I've found a good stream, so I'm watching it now.

That Yank is pants. I've seen better players up the pub.

I've found a good stream, so I'm watching it now.

That Yank is pants. I've seen better players up the pub.
    2-0 up in sets, this Yank isn’t threatening whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've thought it looks more like an old fashioned workmen's club. I've been to Ally Pally 4 or 5 times and love it.
    You’re missing out. Done both. No comparison. Go to The Lakeside, you’ll always watch the PDC on TV after that

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s a great venue. Stay in Camberley and cab into Frimley Green. All the players mingle with the crowd. We were sat at Wolfe’s family table one year before he ditched his wife

Noppert would be better off in the PDC.

Does anyone (Eric) know how it works regarding switching? Would a top BDO player need to go through Q-School?

Noppert made a bit of hard work of that in the end but job done

Does anyone (Eric) know how it works regarding switching? Would a top BDO player need to go through Q-School?
    Nope. They can just switch (and switch back). The challenge is that it’s hard to make enough money if you’re just average in the PDC. Better to be a big fish in the smaller BDO pool

Most that are any good chase the cash though (don’t blame them, but they all love The Lakeside)

This game is PDC quality so far easily

114 average each

A few years ago the PDC offered tour cards to the four Lakeside semifinalists. Now they don't, so potentially the BDO World Champion would need to qualify through Q-School. As far as I understand, any player wanting to move to the BDO from the PDC would be warmly welcomed with no obstacles whatsoever.

I read an article on Glen Durrant recently where he was asking Barry Hearn to give him a tour card, which Hearn subsequently refused. Durrant (and maybe other BDO players) has it in his contract that if he was to switch allegiance, he'd have to forfeit any prize money he won this year.

I disagree with StraightOuttaCanton's remark that it's better to be a big fish at the BDO. Durrant wants to move, he knows he can earn more money at the PDC being an average player. The player currently ranked 40th at the PDC has earned over £100k in 2 years. That's more than all the current BDO players, bar the last two World Champions (Durrant and Waites) have earned in prize money over the last 2 years. Take James Wilson - was ranked BDO no. 1 when he decided to have a go at Q-school. His biggest prize at the BDO was £30k for winning the World Trophy. He's yet to make a ranking semi final at the PDC yet he's earned almost £150k over the last 2 years.

Unless you can win the Lakeside, you can't make that sort of living. Yes, there's prestige in being a BDO world Champion (I feel that prestige is on the wane) but ultimately it's about money. That's not knocking the BDO or being necessarily in favour of the PDC, it's stating fact. The prize money offered by the PDC means dart players can become full time professionals, which they can't really be at the BDO. This suits some fine, like Scott Waites, who considers darts a hobby. It's an interesting position for a dart player to be in - some thrive at the opportunity, some don't. Take Rob Cross - an amazing story. He's earned over £600k this year. He could never have got close to that at the BDO. Next year entry fees in the PDC are being scrapped, so players can take home even more. Players will mainly go where the money is.

Cheers, Eric. I didn't expect such a brilliant answer.

I don't want the PDC to crush the BDO into nothing. I can understand why they would hold off on paying the prize money to a switcher.