+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Academy Documentary BT sport

Academy Documentary BT sport

If anyone has kids at a football academy I suggest you watch the No Hunger In Paradise documentary on BT Sport.

Very insightful, a real eye opener.

Re: Academy Documentary BT sport

I saw the second half of it and I've read some of the book.
    There are definitely pitfalls involved in the academy system and a lot of perspective is required from parents rather than children.

I've heard parents think that their child is their retirement plan when their 9 years old FFS.

If a parent has perspective and keeps the boy's education as the main priority then it can be a good thing.

A kid can have some great experiences and I know you'll disagree with this but I'd rather play against Man City or Southampton than Penygraig or Penydarren any day of the week.

As Aidy Bothroyd said the parents are the problem.

You wouldn’t shout at your child if he makes mistakes when learning to read so why should football be any different.

Picking kids up at 5,6,7 is a joke in my opinion, we will never agree on that.

You missed the first half of the programme where one 16 year old kid had been in the academy’s at Sheffield Wednesday, Man United, Villa and Atletico Madrid from the age of 5 and by the time he was 11!!!

He then went to Derby until 14 and he’s now with Matlock Town. His, by his own admission, pushy old man was clearly part of the reason why he’s gone from Man U to Matlock.

It's always the parents mate but the coaches and the club's often don't realise the damage they can do as well, especially if the kid hasn't got supportive parents.

The environment is immensely cut throat and parents need to be prepared for that and every eventuality.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that picking up kids at 5 is wrong, however in today's world often the alternative is sitting for 6 hours on an Xbox or iPad so I'd much rather my kid playing football than that.

Things have changed immensely since we were kids and all kids activities require massive parent involvement these days. I have niece's involved in gymnastics, swimming and dancing that require a similar level of equipment and my other lad was involved in rugby and the commitment was huge too.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You missed the first half of the programme where one 16 year old kid had been in the academy’s at Sheffield Wednesday, Man United, Villa and Atletico Madrid from the age of 5 and by the time he was 11!!!

He then went to Derby until 14 and he’s now with Matlock Town. His, by his own admission, pushy old man was clearly part of the reason why he’s gone from Man U to Matlock.
    I think I read about him a while back and he was tied into a contract so therefore couldn't move clubs cos he couldn't afford the buy out clause.

The fact that he's been at so many clubs speaks volumes about the parents in my opinion and their delusions of grandeur.