+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Boiler/plumber advice...

Boiler/plumber advice...

mum (75) called me today to say her radiators were bumping?

so i pops over there, she says she tracked it down to one upstairs but dont know what one and so turned the upstairs ones off... so by the time ive arrived now theres no bumping.. anyways

ive bled and topped up her pressure in the boiler before now so not 1st time ive done that... but can those in the know have a look at something for me here if you dont mind...

reason being she had a plumber in not so long back to fit a new radiator in the extension and obviously dabbled with the boiler... now i did my usual im a plumber youtube video quick check and im sure he has gone a dn left a switch in the wrong position... i spotted it right away as im sure not 100% but im sure it supposed to be turned other way, and whn i youtubed same boiler with a chap topping up the pressure it has exact same layout pipes and he puts the blue switch ive circled yellow in a different position to how ive found it... can my plumber fellows here take a quick looky and let me know... the 2 pressure pics are 1 before i bled the rads and 1 after... turned off heating in between...26694780_10155727267496999_931950042_n.jpg
    26692360_10155727273876999_1372426547_o.jpg
    26696236_10155727270561999_663259907_n.jpg

Re: Boiler/plumber advice...

so...1st pic sorry was after i bled the rads and the pressure had come down a bit...

here in this youtube clip with a pro... it has the same layout of pipes underneath and the blue switch is turned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSXEm3vURp8

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    so...1st pic sorry was after i bled the rads and the pressure had come down a bit...

here in this youtube clip with a pro... it has the same layout of pipes underneath and the blue switch is turned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSXEm3vURp8
    There are 2 blue levers to act as a double safety procedure. If there was one, there is a slight chance it may pass water over time. The 2nd one just acts as another safe guard. The plumber who topped it up last time must have just turned the one off.

ok cheers so that not the cause of the bumping ? then... 2 rads i bled had quite a bit of air in them so would that be the only cause you think

ok cheers so that not the cause of the bumping ? then... 2 rads i bled had quite a bit of air in them so would that be the only cause you think
    If bleeding them doesn’t help, one of the thermostatic valve heads maybe the problem.
    If it happens again, hold the TRV on the radiator that’s making the bumping noise.
    If that stops it, you may need to replace the valve head. In this case, if you buy like for like, then it will be a straight swap over without having to drain the system.

lovely thanks a lot

in my experience of CH systems, the plumber would have drained the system down to fit the new rad, filled it back up and air would have been working its way around the system ( thus you had bleed the 2 rads )

right o... well the phones been quiet since lol so alls good so far

Have you thought about entering the plumbing photograher of the year award? Your snaps are rather impressive

One possibility is that on the new rad the TRV may have been fitted on the return side. Not a certainty but just a maybe.