+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&M in a bit of bother

H&M in a bit of bother

Oh dear

How did an item of clothing with that message get to production stage, and what idiot selected a black kid to model the hoody?

From design to production to marketing how many people did that pass through without someone posing the question ffs?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-advert.html

Re: H&M in a bit of bother

Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Oh dear

How did an item of clothing with that message get to production stage, and what idiot selected a black kid to model the hoody?

From design to production to marketing how many people did that pass through without someone posing the question ffs?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-advert.html
    Dreadful how no-one responsible for the add thought that.

Still, I'm surprised at the Daily Mail reporting it. I thought they were ok with racism against white Brits.

You can guess some 20 ( something ) year old was at the photo shoot with a bunch of models and was just handing out the clothes for them to wear, He / She did not think it was racist, didnt even think of it that way

My oldest ( who is 14 ) has never heard a black person be called a monkey, its a term from the past, Youngsters ( at least my both daughters friends ) do not see skin colour, it doesnt matter to them, i have said it in the past, the kids of today will grow up accepting everyone as equal, doesnt matter if you are black / white, gay / straight etc etc

I notice " Kwame " and " Dylan " are pointing out its just a young kid in a jumper

47E2F80500000578-5245887-Others_pointed_out_there_appeared_to_be_no_racial_undertones_but-m-35_1.jpg

Fair point Blue Matt, but for people of a certain vintage its wholly unacceptable. Its so overtly bad in my eyes its almost funny how it wasnt pulled and as Mr Hartley says, presumably passed through all their internal processes to get to that stage

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Fair point Blue Matt, but for people of a certain vintage its wholly unacceptable. Its so overtly bad in my eyes its almost funny how it wasnt pulled and as Mr Hartley says, presumably passed through all their internal processes to get to that stage
    I agree 100%

I showed it to my daughter when we got home , her response " Oh how cute he looks ", then i asked her to look at the pic in more depth, she couldnt see it ( despite the fact we had a chat about blacks being called monkeys only 4 or 5 weeks ago, it was so irrelevant she forgot it ) I had to point it out to her

The question i always ask, if us " people of a certain vintage " ( as you so eloquently put it ) ignore it, these terms will just die out, as the youngsters do not use them, food for thought perhaps ? ? ?

They are huge as a world wide business

There is a big positive in all of this which Matt refers to. Kids these days including my own are not remotely bothered about skin colour,sexuality etc. My cousins are brown and used to come and see us in Gloucestershire where my parents live. The local kids used to make monkey noises when we played down the local playing field. I hated it.
    That would just not happen these days.

We have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    There is a big positive in all of this which Matt refers to. Kids these days including my own are not remotely bothered about skin colour,sexuality etc. My cousins are brown and used to come and see us in Gloucestershire where my parents live. The local kids used to make monkey noises when we played down the local playing field. I hated it.
    That would just not happen these days.

We have moved on.
    Kids are innocent and oblivious to it All, that's a good thing for sure.

My daughter has a Lithuanian friend, she also had a Chinese friend and a Spanish friend and she's learned basic words off them. I know she can count to 20 in Chinese and Spanish all self taught off Google.

Kids see friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Kids are innocent and oblivious to it All, that's a good thing for sure.

My daughter has a Lithuanian friend, she also had a Chinese friend and a Spanish friend and she's learned basic words off them. I know she can count to 20 in Chinese and Spanish all self taught off Google.

Kids see friendship.

Indeed

I have told the story of my oldest coming home from school ( she was in reception year, so about 5 yr old ) , she said " Dad, we have a Polish girl in our class, she cannot speak English, can i learn Polish ", Hmmmmm i said, yes sure, we will see,
    She asked again, so i looked online for a course, found some Polish girl who would send you the .wav file of the word, so you knew the pronunciation, we learnt it together, we can say a few greetings, have a good weekend, shall we play, how are you. etc etc

It was a shame when the girl learnt to speak English, she was a bloody horrid girl by the time she left for secondary school ( a different one to my daughter thankfully )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I agree 100%

I showed it to my daughter when we got home , her response " Oh how cute he looks ", then i asked her to look at the pic in more depth, she couldnt see it ( despite the fact we had a chat about blacks being called monkeys only 4 or 5 weeks ago, it was so irrelevant she forgot it ) I had to point it out to her

The question i always ask, if us " people of a certain vintage " ( as you so eloquently put it ) ignore it, these terms will just die out, as the youngsters do not use them, food for thought perhaps ? ? ?
    ^^^ Like.

Indeed

I have told the story of my oldest coming home from school ( she was in reception year, so about 5 yr old ) , she said " Dad, we have a Polish girl in our class, she cannot speak English, can i learn Polish ", Hmmmmm i said, yes sure, we will see,
    She asked again, so i looked online for a course, found some Polish girl who would send you the .wav file of the word, so you knew the pronunciation, we learnt it together, we can say a few greetings, have a good weekend, shall we play, how are you. etc etc

It was a shame when the girl learnt to speak English, she was a bloody horrid girl by the time she left for secondary school ( a different one to my daughter thankfully )
    Mine will be off to secondary school next year. I've told her already that some of her friends will likely change as they get older

Mine will be off to secondary school next year. I've told her already that some of her friends will likely change as they get older
    Tough Time for the parents the secondary school 1st year imho

We had a choice of 5 secondary schools, 2 in our town ( that my daughter had to do " taster days " at, she knew both from doing sports and drama stuff at, hated them both ) our first choice we did not get in ( till later ) so she went to one in another town ( though she knew a few from her swimming club, also in the same town ) the tough thing was, none of her primary school went to this school, so she was alone ( apart from them from her swimming club ), after day 2 we had a phone call and would we like to start in the 1st choice school ( where most of her mates went to ) , we asked her and she said " No Dad, we have got all the uniform and PE kit, i like the school, so i a happy to stay " , we discussed it a little more, mainly as all her old mates were at this school, but she has made a few new friends and was happy

I drive her in the morning, and either myself or wife pick her up at 3, we are back to walk down to take to and collect youngest from primary school, so its not too much of a bother

As it happens, she has done well and made loads of " good quality " friends, We couldnt have asked for more not looking forward to youngest starting a 18 months time, as surely we wont be so lucky twice ? ?

We had a choice of 5 secondary schools, 2 in our town ( that my daughter had to do " taster days " at, she knew both from doing sports and drama stuff at, hated them both ) our first choice we did not get in ( till later ) so she went to one in another town ( though she knew a few from her swimming club, also in the same town ) the tough thing was, none of her primary school went to this school, so she was alone ( apart from them from her swimming club ), after day 2 we had a phone call and would we like to start in the 1st choice school ( where most of her mates went to ) , we asked her and she said " No Dad, we have got all the uniform and PE kit, i like the school, so i a happy to stay " , we discussed it a little more, mainly as all her old mates were at this school, but she has made a few new friends and was happy

I drive her in the morning, and either myself or wife pick her up at 3, we are back to walk down to take to and collect youngest from primary school, so its not too much of a bother

As it happens, she has done well and made loads of " good quality " friends, We couldnt have asked for more not looking forward to youngest starting a 18 months time, as surely we wont be so lucky twice ? ?
    Indeed. Both my lads when to a small village primary and then onto a huge secondary school. My older lad really struggled for two or three years although fortunately my younger lad found it very easy. A lot depends on the personality of the kids. My older son has always been academic and serious and not sporty. My younger lad is sporty and a bit of a lad.

Mines one of the "nice kids" so im a little worried in that respect. Shes a bright kid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Indeed. Both my lads when to a small village primary and then onto a huge secondary school. My older lad really struggled for two or three years although fortunately my younger lad found it very easy. A lot depends on the personality of the kids. My older son has always been academic and serious and not sporty. My younger lad is sporty and a bit of a lad.
    Thinly veiled ' My youngest sings "we're Reading, we're Reading, we'll kick yer fecking head in".

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Thinly veiled ' My youngest sings "we're Reading, we're Reading, we'll kick yer fecking head in".

Anyway, my opinion is that this was done purposely. No way this has gone through so many different people and not been spotted.

The virtue signaling crowd dream about days like these.

I agree 100%

Really? I'd say calling a black person a "monkey" is still seen as a racial slur by us youngsters

We are still paying for the ignorance and fear of some of our ancestors.
    If it had been a mischevious looking white kid with blond hair wearing that top, then nobody would have batted an eyelid.
    H&M have probably taken a massive gamble with this

Anyway, my opinion is that this was done purposely. No way this has gone through so many different people and not been spotted.
    I suggest that you look into the charitable causes that the company has been involved with over a long period of time (including UNICEF) - and how you think that their shareholders would be pleased by any deliberate racism is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I suggest that you look into the charitable causes that the company has been involved with over a long period of time (including UNICEF) - and how you think that their shareholders would be pleased by any deliberate racism is beyond me.
    I'd have to know that in the first place wouldn't i oh smarty pants.

It may be "beyond you" but looking at what little I had to go on and how "any publicity is good publicity" it's not hard to imagine it as a possibility.

H&M must be clearly targeting selling these for black children by using a black model. Who as a black person would want to label their child as a "monkey"?!