+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six game ban for Leeds player

Six game ban for Leeds player

Leeds forward Samu Saiz has accepted his six-game ban for spitting in their FA Cup defeat by Newport and apologised for his "inexcusable" actions.

The 26-year-old was sent off by referee Mike Dean in injury time of Sunday's third-round tie at Rodney Parade.

The Spaniard, who will be unavailable until 20 February, has scored nine times in 26 appearances this season.

"I give my word to all those connected to Leeds United that I will learn from this and never repeat it," he said.

He added in a statement on the Championship club's website: "I am grateful for the support I receive from our fans and I understand that I am a role model to the next generation of Leeds supporters, I will ensure that my behaviour moving forward reflects that."

Saiz was previously accused of spitting by then Port Vale boss Michael Brown in August but was cleared of wrongdoing.

Thomas Christiansen's side are sixth in the Championship, six points off second-placed Derby.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42608121

Re: Six game ban for Leeds player

One of the worst things to do on a pitch in my opinion. Appropriately dealt with and a full apology given so thats something I suppose

Filthy shit.

He's got form, so he's deserved this ban. Looks like Leeds will fine him two weeks wages too. Horrible thing to do, and he's their best player so glad we don't have to face him!

dreadful news for a very nice homely lovable, but very unlucky club

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's got form, so he's deserved this ban. Looks like Leeds will fine him two weeks wages too. Horrible thing to do, and he's their best player so glad we don't have to face him!
    Why only 2 weeks and why is it left to the club to fine him ? Money appears to be the motivating factor for most footballers these days so, if the footballing powers that be want to punish, change behaviours and prevent recurrences of such appalling instances as this then hit them hard where if hurts- in their pockets. A standard fine of (say) 10 weeks wages for spitting plus the suspension would send out a message. Similarly, they could up the ante for other offences as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Why only 2 weeks and why is it left to the club to fine him ? Money appears to be the motivating factor for most footballers these days so, if the footballing powers that be want to punish, change behaviours and prevent recurrences of such appalling instances as this then hit them hard where if hurts- in their pockets. A standard fine of (say) 10 weeks wages for spitting plus the suspension would send out a message. Similarly, they could up the ante for other offences as well.
    PFA rules

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby_The_Bhoy View Post
    PFA rules
    Their input into the process should be representing their members if necessary. If the PFA have had a previous input into the level of sanctions it is no wonder offenders may get off lightly - like this one has.