+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do you have to be thick to work for WalesOnline?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Do you have to be thick to work for WalesOnline?

Re: Do you have to be thick to work for WalesOnline?

So that’s our defeat to Mansfield confirmed

Thicker the better.

That’s harsh to call anyone thick but it’s becoming difficult to follow them online as they have gone from news suppliers to spammers.

In the last 24 hours they have tweeted 61 times linked to the same articles that contain barely no news. The worst ones are for transfer updates. Over 20 tweets updating no news. Just linking to the same no news article that includes an exclusive with no evidence to back it up.

Another dozen or more links to FA cup articles that just vary the wording slightly but link to the same story. There was even a full article on the practice draw, maybe that could be a line in the main story but a page all to itself?

There’s an article written by Scott Johnston, fair enough a proper piece. But it’s been tweeted about a number of times with slightly different wording to make it look like different news but all linking to same article.

It’s click bait and I’m guessing it’s a Trinity group policy to attract as many hits as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

It’s click bait and I’m guessing it’s a Trinity group policy to attract as many hits as possible.
    Bingo. Nail on head. They're told to churn out as many pieces as humanly possible so no wonder it's absolute tripe, poorly researched and with spelling errors.

It's becoming relentless now. Three tweets below, all in the past hour, all linking to the same page just worded differently to reel you in. Not just WoL, other sites in the group, all have videos autoplaying when you open the page as well

It bothers me about this site as well. FootyMad who run it are looking to maximise ads and care less for content, so I might be a bit hypocritical here but the ad blocker option seems to be quite effective on this page, but the point is the constant updating on non news. My concern is clickbait rather than an ads issue

At least this stuff doesn't cost serious money like Clubcall did back in the day.

Clickbait has replaced Dialbait.

Thick is the wrong word ,desperate better describes them .

My advise is not click on thier links and watch them sink plenty of good football blogs about , headed up by Mauve and Yellow and CCMB . I use both the above and newsnow.co.uk plus the reliable BBC
    , and pick what looks like decent football sites and newspaper reports .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It's becoming relentless now. Three tweets below, all in the past hour, all linking to the same page just worded differently to reel you in. Not just WoL, other sites in the group, all have videos autoplaying when you open the page as well

It bothers me about this site as well. FootyMad who run it are looking to maximise ads and care less for content, so I might be a bit hypocritical here but the ad blocker option seems to be quite effective on this page, but the point is the constant updating on non news. My concern is clickbait rather than an ads issue

I don't use Twitter or Facebook these days, but when I was I wised up to these tactics a pretty long time ago.

unfollowed anything remotely.like this on both social medias

Wales Online is brilliant for articles on Wales 50 hardest rugby players
    Or the hardest Welsh Rugby players youve never heard about.
    Or what happened to Welsh Rugbys hardest players
    Or what happened to the Welsh Rugby heroes who brought a nation to a standstill.

It will be great as well come 6 nations time - Probably get loads of brilliant reads from English women who have married a Welshman and are now Welsh for the tournament.

We will also have great pictures of middle aged men and women in daffodil hats.

If we are really lucky where else is there to go for hilarious videos of Rugby fans performing the Haka in the street with a random fat copper.

Keep it up Walesonline.

I dunno, but you deffo have to be thick to read their shit

It's yet another sad and dangerous example of corporatism, whereby a large financial vehicle with a sole focus on shareholder returns, buys up all the local print newspapers and then reduces them to a skeleton staff to enhance profits.

What you then end up with is exactly what's been described in this thread. No patch reporters, very few trained journalists, no sub editors and worst of all, no local newspapers covering local issues.

The cynical among us might suggest this helps those at the top in these areas avoid scrutiny.

I actually hope Trinity collapse and pull out entirely, leaving a huge opportunity for us to revert back to the local newspapers and coverage we had say 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    It's yet another sad and dangerous example of corporatism, whereby a large financial vehicle with a sole focus on shareholder returns, buys up all the local print newspapers and then reduces them to a skeleton staff to enhance profits.

What you then end up with is exactly what's been described in this thread. No patch reporters, very few trained journalists, no sub editors and worst of all, no local newspapers covering local issues.

The cynical among us might suggest this helps those at the top in these areas avoid scrutiny.

I actually hope Trinity collapse and pull out entirely, leaving a huge opportunity for us to revert back to the local newspapers and coverage we had say 20 years ago.
    If Trinity Mirror collapse, there won't be a local paper. The Western Mail has a circulation of 15k, the same as the Echo.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post

The only problem with this is barely anyone buys newspapers, a worsening trend which has been the case for about a decade now, so there's no chance of things reverting back to the coverage of decades ago, sadly. The whole industry has a black hole at its centre - no-one's figured out how to make enough money from online ads to replace the loss of print revenue. So you end up with endless redundancies and a drive to hit ever-increasing web targets.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    The only problem with this is barely anyone buys newspapers, a worsening trend which has been the case for about a decade now, so there's no chance of things reverting back to the coverage of decades ago, sadly. The whole industry has a black hole at its centre - no-one's figured out how to make enough money from online ads to replace the loss of print revenue. So you end up with endless redundancies and a drive to hit ever-increasing web targets.
    Some years ago, in London, there were a number of evening papers, eventually, the Evening Standard swallowed them up or put them out of business, then about 10 years ago, 2 new evening papers arrived on the scene. They were free (similar to The Metro), and The Evening Standard saw a huge drop in circulation - not because it was inferior in any way, but because commuters took the free option rather than paying the 30p for the Standard. To counter this, The Standard became a free paper, and because of its experienced team, it managed to put the two free papers out of business.

Of course, The Standard (and The Metro) are owned by The Daily Mail, so there was a huge infrastructure in place to support the freebies.

I think what I'm trying to say is - those with the money and experience will always come out on top, no matter how many innovative ideas come along.

Newspaper industry is dying though and inevitably.

Want to find out about breaking news? Use a mobile phone app.

That's why there's been more emphasis on opinionated "journos" like Owen Jones. An article isn't time dated in the way news changes, on a minute by minute basis.

Newspapers are effectively turning slowly into magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Some years ago, in London, there were a number of evening papers, eventually, the Evening Standard swallowed them up or put them out of business, then about 10 years ago, 2 new evening papers arrived on the scene. They were free (similar to The Metro), and The Evening Standard saw a huge drop in circulation - not because it was inferior in any way, but because commuters took the free option rather than paying the 30p for the Standard. To counter this, The Standard became a free paper, and because of its experienced team, it managed to put the two free papers out of business.

Of course, The Standard (and The Metro) are owned by The Daily Mail, so there was a huge infrastructure in place to support the freebies.

I think what I'm trying to say is - those with the money and experience will always come out on top, no matter how many innovative ideas come along.
    I live in London and the Evening Standard is by no means an example of a quality newspaper. The Standard isn't owned by the Daily Mail, they have a minority share - it's largely subsidised by Evgeny Lebedev as a vanity project. The only reason it has a decent circulation is because it's in the unique situation of having a large public transport commuting population, while that public transport also allows them to distribute for a relatively low cost.
    The free model elsewhere has led to 'newspapers' that are little more than ad-sheets. Newsquest's free London titles are an absolute joke. Free sheets are not the answer.
    Most local newspapers are put together by teams of just out of college youngsters who are overworked and underpaid, lacking experienced mentors who have all either left to work in better paid industries or been made redundant, and under immense pressure to get clicks. This environment is not conducive to good journalism, and is sadly becoming the norm. It's sad because it destroys local democracy and leaves all sorts of bodies free from scrutiny.
    The big mistake was everyone rushed to put their journalism online for free at the turn of the millennium. People got used to not paying for news. Now convincing them to pay for it again is proving nigh-on impossible, so the industry has turned to volume of clicks, instead of quality of product.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    I live in London and the Evening Standard is by no means an example of a quality newspaper. The Standard isn't owned by the Daily Mail, they have a minority share - it's largely subsidised by Evgeny Lebedev as a vanity project. The only reason it has a decent circulation is because it's in the unique situation of having a large public transport commuting population, while that public transport also allows them to distribute for a relatively low cost.
    The free model elsewhere has led to 'newspapers' that are little more than ad-sheets. Newsquest's free London titles are an absolute joke. Free sheets are not the answer.
    Most local newspapers are put together by teams of just out of college youngsters who are overworked and underpaid, lacking experienced mentors who have all either left to work in better paid industries or been made redundant, and under immense pressure to get clicks. This environment is not conducive to good journalism, and is sadly becoming the norm. It's sad because it destroys local democracy and leaves all sorts of bodies free from scrutiny.
    The big mistake was everyone rushed to put their journalism online for free at the turn of the millennium. People got used to not paying for news. Now convincing them to pay for it again is proving nigh-on impossible, so the industry has turned to volume of clicks, instead of quality of product.
    I lived in London from 1981 - 2011 and remember not only the vendors at the tube stations, but also out on the street corners, guys walking in the traffic queues etc.

I knew one vendor who had a little box like pitch at a very busy junction on the North Circular in Finchley. He'd be there from around 3pm Monday to Friday until about 6pm. He told me that selling The Standard there for 3 hours a day made him a very rich man. It was his only income (unless he was an armed robber as well). Once the Free papers came in (can't remember their names now, but started about 2006, lasted about 2 years at most) and The Standard became free, he stopped his pitch. The only place to get a Standard after that was at the tube stations.

I agree, it is in no way a quality paper - but then again, what is?