+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football Association adopts 'Rooney Rule'

Football Association adopts 'Rooney Rule'

The Football Association will interview at least one applicant from a black, Asian and minority ethnic background for future roles in the England set-up.

English football's governing body will adopt its own version of the 'Rooney Rule' implemented in the NFL in 2003.

Chief executive Martin Glenn said the move showed the "FA is for all".

"The FA wants to become a more inclusive organisation where the workforce more represents the people who play football today," Glenn said.

Speaking to BBC Sport, he added: "What it will say is the opportunity to have a career beyond playing is something that the FA is serious about promoting."

The Rooney Rule, named after NFL diversity committee chairman Dan Rooney, requires clubs in American football to interview at least one BAME candidate for each head coach or senior football operation vacancy.

The FA says this move will apply to jobs across England teams but BAME applicants will still need to show they meet the relevant recruitment criteria.

English Football League clubs agreed to introduce their own version of the 'Rooney Rule' from 1 January but the same measure has been applied to roles in their academies since June.

Research conducted in November showed 22 of 482 roles across England's top-four leagues were filled by coaches from BAME backgrounds.

Glenn also revealed moves to make it easier for players and staff to air grievances, while clarifying he will oversee attempts to change the culture around the England Women's team in the wake of the Eniola Aluko controversy.

In August of 2017, Chelsea Ladies striker Aluko said she was victimised for reporting discrimination by ex-England women's team manager Mark Sampson.

Sampson was sacked in September following evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour with female players in a previous role.

The FA is now working with UK Sport to create clarity on codes of conduct for players and coaches.

"We want to make sure everyone who puts on the England shirt has a way to air concerns or grievances in a fair, speedy and prompt manner," Glenn added.

"The lessons we had to learn from the Eniola Aluko affair was that we did not have the right procedures in place for elite people to raise concerns. But I think more subtly we did not have the right climate in place for people to feel they could raise their concerns easily. These measures address both of those."

More ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

Re: Football Association adopts 'Rooney Rule'

This rule is plain daft. It's similar to a rule that the Beeb introduced insisting there is one woman on each panel show. Many comediennes have turned down invites because they don't want to be seen as the token woman.

The next complaint will be that still too many white people are being employed - I would hope that people will be employed on merit rather than meeting some arbitrary quota and target. By the way, isn't it crazy that no women have ever managed a professional football club?

I'm not convinced that there are fewer black coaches because of rampant racism in the game.

I'd be interested in seeing concrete stats like - number of applicants, number of black/Asian applicants, number of each type invited for interview etc etc. Are there any prospective black coaches/managers whi have applied for many jobs without ever getting an interview?

I think it's important to know the facts before lauding this as anything more than a token gesture (designed to deflect the issue in the women's game), and without such facts we can never know the effectiveness of the rule.

Talking of the women's game, Kelly smith said in September that she wanted or preferred a female to replace Sampson. Imagine if she said "a white". Or "A Welshman".

Positive discrimination is acceptable, but is it any more moral?

I think there should be more ginger people in football, at least two players in every team. It's not fair I tell you, football is run by gingerists!

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post

Positive discrimination is acceptable, but is it any more moral?
    There was a time when every face on TV, the face of every company was that of a white male. And in the UK, a posh, white male. Which meant that if you were not a posh, white male, you were excluded. Until the diversity of the public at large is reflected in business and culture, I have no problem with positive discrimination.

Oh good, yet more from those that believe in equality of outcome as opposed to equality of opportunity.

True diversity comes through people that look different.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There was a time when every face on TV, the face of every company was that of a white male. And in the UK, a posh, white male. Which meant that if you were not a posh, white male, you were excluded. Until the diversity of the public at large is reflected in business and culture, I have no problem with positive discrimination.
    So, if ten people apply for three vacancies and the three outstanding candidates happen to be white, a Black or Asian candidate is the fourth best candidate and the remaining candidates are not good enough, does that mean the fourth candidate has to get the job?
    Isn't that discriminating against one of the more suitably qualified applicants?
    Is that really how it works because that doesn't seem right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    So, if ten people apply for three vacancies and the three outstanding candidates happen to be white, a Black or Asian candidate is the fourth best candidate and the remaining candidates are not good enough, does that mean the fourth candidate has to get the job?
    Isn't that discriminating against one of the more suitably qualified applicants?
    Is that really how it works because that doesn't seem right to me.
    No. The best person still gets the job.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    No. The best person still gets the job.
    Wrong - the post he was referring to had no problem with positive discrimination, which he replied to not the Rooney rule.

The Rooney rule simply doesn't work, it's easily gamed.

In fact, let's expand the Rooney rule further to American sports. Let's have more white basketball players, more white gridiron running backs...

Now with regards to positive discrimination, it's still discrimination. Discrimination in all forms exists - yeah, Ince would have had top level jobs based upon ability and not his name..

The very implementation of rules like this, prove that in the modern world discrimination and skin colour/ethnic issues are still rife.
    When a job becomes available, in any walk of life, Human beings, who have the right qualifications/experience/desire should apply, or be able to apply if they want to. It really is as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Wrong - the post he was referring to had no problem with positive discrimination, which he replied to not the Rooney rule.

The Rooney rule simply doesn't work, it's easily gamed.

In fact, let's expand the Rooney rule further to American sports. Let's have more white basketball players, more white gridiron running backs...

Now with regards to positive discrimination, it's still discrimination. Discrimination in all forms exists - yeah, Ince would have had top level jobs based upon ability and not his name..
    I'm pretty sure that positive discrimination is against the law in the UK under the Equality Act for exactly the reasons that you say, except for some exceptions (like only women working in a women's refuge).

Nobody is prevented from applying for a management role though.

The claim is that "oh, you didn't hire me because of the colour of my skin" which those whose skin is pinky white and fail to get the gig can't claim.

The Rooney rule is now outdated in US sport because it leads to token interviews.

Should we have interviewed Paul Ince to manage us rather than just instantly appointing Warnock for example?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The very implementation of rules like this, prove that in the modern world discrimination and skin colour/ethnic issues are still rife.
    When a job becomes available, in any walk of life, Human beings, who have the right qualifications/experience/desire should apply, or be able to apply if they want to. It really is as simple as that.
    I agree but in the real world people sometimes need a push to assess others equally. Not necessarily because they are being racist but because we're naturally drawn to people who are similar to ourselves.

As a white British male I didn't really appreciate it until I lived in Asia and got overlooked a lot because I was different.

I agree but in the real world people sometimes need a push to assess others equally. Not necessarily because they are being racist but because we're naturally drawn to people who are similar to ourselves.

As a white British male I didn't really appreciate it until I lived in Asia and got overlooked a lot because I was different.
    Good point.

Good. There is clearly an underrepresentation in managerial roles in football and the Rooney rule has been shown to be effective in some American sports.

Hughton made a good point about it

“Whether it’s the Rooney Rule exactly I don’t know but I do agree with a type of rule or legislation which gives opportunities for an interview process. Nobody is saying an organisation has to employ a certain amount of black and ethnic coaches and managers – but they should at least have the opportunity to get to the interview process, to get in front of people. The percentage of black and ethnic minority players is growing higher and higher but those at the top of management hasn’t moved at all.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Good. There is clearly an underrepresentation in managerial roles in football and the Rooney rule has been shown to be effective in some American sports.
    Employers in US sports employ who they want. Just make sure you interview a minority candidate even if you have no intention of employing them.

Employers in US sports employ who they want. Just make sure you interview a minority candidate even if you have no intention of employing them.
    At least they are then hearing ideas, and processes from different people. In some cases the employer maybe impressed by what they are hearing and take a different course. In some cases (and i would guess the majority) they may then choose what is comfortable to them.

I think everyone want people to get the job on their own merit. However a system which allows more people from different back grounds to display their merits, should surely do no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    At least they are then hearing ideas, and processes from different people. In some cases the employer maybe impressed by what they are hearing and take a different course. In some cases (and i would guess the majority) they may then choose what is comfortable to them.

I think everyone want people to get the job on their own merit. However a system which allows more people from different back grounds to display their merits, should surely do no harm.
    Teams, particulrly in NFL cross the "t"s and dot the "i"s to comply. Gruden was appointed Raiders coach incredibly quickly, toekn interviews performed, voila. Owner knows Gruden's history, reputation and ability. He wants to hire him. This whole "oooh someone else might give better ideas" in a sporting context is a load of codswallop.

Let's take a look at player representation in for example NFL. How many white running backs are there, few. Should steps be taken to address that issue too?

If you want people getting the job on own merit then the Rooney rule needs to be scrapped. Given the billions involved in US sport in particular, believing an owner would deliberately turn down the best candidate based upon skin colour is only believed by idiots backing Kaepernick not knowing the actual facts.

Teams, particulrly in NFL cross the "t"s and dot the "i"s to comply. Gruden was appointed Raiders coach incredibly quickly, toekn interviews performed, voila. Owner knows Gruden's history, reputation and ability. He wants to hire him. This whole "oooh someone else might give better ideas" in a sporting context is a load of codswallop.

Let's take a look at player representation in for example NFL. How many white running backs are there, few. Should steps be taken to address that issue too?

If you want people getting the job on own merit then the Rooney rule needs to be scrapped. Given the billions involved in US sport in particular, believing an owner would deliberately turn down the best candidate based upon skin colour is only believed by idiots backing Kaepernick not knowing the actual facts.
    White running backs still get the opportunity to play the game, to play to whatever level their talent dictates, scouts watch them, and then deem them not good enough.

This isnt about black managers getting the job, simply to have a trial (interview) so that their talents can be seem.

As you see in the premiership that club owners fear change with a group of failing managers repeatedly getting jobs at lower end, so I dont expect to see dramatic change in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    White running backs still get the opportunity to play the game, to play to whatever level their talent dictates, scouts watch them, and then deem them not good enough.

This isnt about black managers getting the job, simply to have a trial (interview) so that their talents can be seem.

As you see in the premiership that club owners fear change with a group of failing managers repeatedly getting jobs at lower end, so I dont expect to see dramatic change in that area.
    Except those running backs don't. They really, really don't.

If you are accepting that the rule simply gives "trial" interviews then it's nothing less than demeaning tokenism.

Failing managers? Pardew et al are managers experienced at fighting relegation struggles. That experience is far more vital than any semblance of social engineering. "Well, we could have had Pulis who has never been relegated but I thought we need to be more socially inclusive so hired a Buddhist monk who excelled with his calmness at interview... ok, we lost every game but go us!".

There can never be a semblance of "best person gets job irrespective of race, religion or skin pigmentation" whilst any form of forcing interviews based upon race, religion or skin pigmentation goes on, it merely fosters a divide.

"Research conducted in November showed 22 of 482 roles across England's top-four leagues were filled by coaches from BAME backgrounds."

That's less than 5%. Given that coaches come from a very small pool, they are almost always former pros, and given that the percentage of non-whites playing is a lot higher than 5%, it's hard not to conclude that there is something disadvantaging black (as they're mainly black) players from getting coaching roles.

As I said above, it's not necessarily racism.

Except those running backs don't. They really, really don't.

If you are accepting that the rule simply gives "trial" interviews then it's nothing less than demeaning tokenism.

Failing managers? Pardew et al are managers experienced at fighting relegation struggles. That experience is far more vital than any semblance of social engineering. "Well, we could have had Pulis who has never been relegated but I thought we need to be more socially inclusive so hired a Buddhist monk who excelled with his calmness at interview... ok, we lost every game but go us!".

There can never be a semblance of "best person gets job irrespective of race, religion or skin pigmentation" whilst any form of forcing interviews based upon race, religion or skin pigmentation goes on, it merely fosters a divide.
    Alan Pardew is ****ing useless and is currently taking West Brom down, sacked from Palace, sacked from Newcastle. Absolutely useless.

It isn’t even just minorities who need a chance it’s anyone outside of the old boys club of Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew, Hughes, Pulis etc. Boring old ***** who’ll get you to 40 points then never win another game.

"Research conducted in November showed 22 of 482 roles across England's top-four leagues were filled by coaches from BAME backgrounds."

That's less than 5%. Given that coaches come from a very small pool, they are almost always former pros, and given that the percentage of non-whites playing is a lot higher than 5%, it's hard not to conclude that there is something disadvantaging black (as they're mainly black) players from getting coaching roles.

As I said above, it's not necessarily racism.
    It isn’t racism in most cases, it’s just human nature and people need a little nudge in the direction to give people different to them a chance.

I was listening to Talk Sport talking about this yesterday and they had Leroy Rosenior on to ask him his thoughts.

He said that just giving an interview to a bme person was not really an equal opportunity. They need to go that one step further and give them jobs as the bme’s needed more of “leg up” than a white person because of the way bmes have been treated in this past.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Alan Pardew is ****ing useless and is currently taking West Brom down, sacked from Palace, sacked from Newcastle. Absolutely useless.

It isn’t even just minorities who need a chance it’s anyone outside of the old boys club of Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew, Hughes, Pulis etc. Boring old ***** who’ll get you to 40 points then never win another game.
    Which is what chairmen want, to stay in the Prem. Not difficult to work out that Prem chairmen are risk averse and will go with experience.