+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Radio 2 Popmaster

Radio 2 Popmaster

Anybody hear pop master earlier?
    Close affair.
    1st guy got his 1st question right and the rest wrong. One reason why I don't think I could be on there, not sure I'd have the balls anyway!

By contrast, 2nd guy got them all right...39 points. He'd also been on twice before scoring a max and 36!

Anybody from here been on PM or know anyone who has and how did they do?

Re: Radio 2 Popmaster

Don't know anybody who's been on it. I listen to it most days anywhere between 3 and 21 normally. I have had 30 once. I thought I was chocolate. Got 6 on the next set of questions. Always Struggle with 3 in 10.

By all accounts the people who get max points cheat, having family members searching on line via search engines such as bing as questions are being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Bluebird View Post
    By all accounts the people who get max points cheat, having family members searching on line via search engines such as bing as questions are being asked.
    That's what I'd do too, but it's against the clock so I'd use Google.

Has to be the best quiz on radio. I used to get quite high scores on a regular basis, but now there are far to many questions on music post 2000 and my scores have dropped like a stone.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Has to be the best quiz on radio. I used to get quite high scores on a regular basis, but now there are far to many questions on music post 2000 and my scores have dropped like a stone.
    Same here, love the 60's, 70's and 80's questions but any later and I'm fecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Bluebird View Post
    I think they can sense the cheats whether they have others or have people scanning online. They put the 5 second countdown on early and you can always tell by Ken Bruce's demeanour.

This guy this morning knew them though, proper geek and very concise with his answers, on the border of cocky but in an eggheads type way.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Don't know anybody who's been on it. I listen to it most days anywhere between 3 and 21 normally. I have had 30 once. I thought I was chocolate. Got 6 on the next set of questions. Always Struggle with 3 in 10.
    The 3 in 10 is nigh on impossible. Even if it's your favourite artist whose full set of 33 inch LPs you have stored away, its tough to reel 3 off in 10 seconds.

Got 8 right and one year out once, but nobody believes me!
    I always find you want someone listening to it with you to make you feel more knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    ^^^this

I like trying to beat the contestants on the radio. I usually get around 18-20. A few years ago though I actually managed a 39 / 36. The questions just happened to be perfect for me.

A work with an older guy in his 60's ( I am 24) and between us we smash it, he gets all the 60/70/80's right and i can pick up lots from the 90's and get basically everything after 1999.

If only you could enter as a team!

I don't think many cheat other wise there would be loads in champions league every year.

It's funny with guess the year cause I'm always trying to think what was I doing when that tune was around and which cup final etc was happening. It's not the best system although I'm not usually more than 2 years out either way. Sometimes bang on. After 1980 mind. Properly Guess the others.

You're fekd if you pick the wrong bonus round.

Does my head on when Fern Cotton comes on and butchers it and forgets to say it's a bonus etc so contestants don't look for the clue. Or tells them how well they are doing and they are on a roll then they get the next question wrong.

Trevor Nelson is pretty crap as well but I don't mind him too much.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Anybody hear pop master earlier?
    Close affair.
    1st guy got his 1st question right and the rest wrong. One reason why I don't think I could be on there, not sure I'd have the balls anyway!

By contrast, 2nd guy got them all right...39 points. He'd also been on twice before scoring a max and 36!

Anybody from here been on PM or know anyone who has and how did they do?

Dr POP (who passed away this time last year aged only 52), I think won it one year. Not entirely sure, but I do know he defo got to the final.

I think "THE BOSS" may put me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Dr POP (who passed away this time last year aged only 52), I think won it one year. Not entirely sure, but I do know he defo got to the final.

I think "THE BOSS" may put me straight.

Dr Pop used to go to the pop quiz in the Canton Cross, it was basically a competition to see who came second to his team!

Got 21 once was well impressed with myself usually luck to ge 6

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton Baptiste View Post
    Dr Pop used to go to the pop quiz in the Canton Cross, it was basically a competition to see who came second to his team!
    Ah yes, Dr Pop.
    He used to do other quizzes too including Canton Labour club and Vic park.
    A true pop encyclopedia.
    Really nice fella too.

I love PM. I doubt people cheat as Ken puts the countdown clock on pretty quickly. My scores vary between 3 and the occasional 30.
    What I like about Bruce is that he plays a record in full and doesn’t talk over it unlike the big egos of Chris Evans and Steve Wright