+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP the "Flying Pig".

RIP the "Flying Pig".

Older readers will remember Liverpool keeper Tommy Lawrence who has died at the age of 77 - there's a nice video of him in this story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42634388

RIP

Re: RIP the "Flying Pig".

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Older readers will remember Liverpool keeper Tommy Lawrence who has died at the age of 77 - there's a nice video of him in this story

RIP
    Ha ha that’s quality 😃👏

Can’t imagine Michael Owen having same problem about not being recognised but Tommy won more leagues for Liverpool.

Remember him well, he did look overweight but was a bloody good keeper.

Is that Ron Yeats stood next to him in that photo? he was a big lump of a player too.

RIP
    Love that video, his eyes lit up when he was asked the question.
    Rest in peace.

Great video, he doesn't look too 'large in that photo. Bit before my time really - I think I only could get two from that photo, Ian Callaghan and Ian St John.

Any one able to name the whole side?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Great video, he doesn't look too 'large in that photo. Bit before my time really - I think I only could get two from that photo, Ian Callaghan and Ian St John.

Callaghan, st.John, Peter Thompson, Roger Hunt, Tommy and Ron Yeats are the only ones I recognise.

Yeah, i remember him, just...big fella was Tommy.
    Tommy Smith and the said Roger Hunt seated.
    Last edited by MacAdder; 10-01-18 at 12:52. Reason: typo!

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Is that Ron Yeats stood next to him in that photo? he was a big lump of a player too.
    When Shankly signed Yeats, at the press conference he told the press he was a Colossus and invited the to 'Take a walk around him"

In the back row it's the guy who use to manage Coventry, name eludes me at the moment - Gordon Milne , Gerry Byrne, Tommy Lawrence, Ron Yeats, Chris Lawler and I think the other one is Gerry Strong. In the front row, you have Ian Callaghan, Roger Hunt, Ian St John and Peter Thompson on the end, but I can't for the life of me remember who it is in between him and St John - I had to look it up, his name is Willie Stevenson.

In the back row it's the guy who use to manage Coventry, name eludes me at the moment - Gordon Milne , Gerry Byrne, Tommy Lawrence, Ron Yeats, Chris Lawler and I think the other one is Gerry Strong. In the front row, you have Ian Callaghan, Roger Hunt, Ian St John and Peter Thompson on the end, but I can't for the life of me remember who it is in between him and St John - I had to look it up, his name is Willie Stevenson.
    I thought that was Tommy Smith when it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I thought that was Tommy Smith when it was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Love that video .... such a humble man .R.I.P

As a Scottish international I though he didn't have much of a Scots accent, but apparently he moved to the North west as a child.