+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A question for the economists on here....

A question for the economists on here....

How does the U.S. determine how many dollar bills to print when many of them endlessly circulate on the streets of foreign countries?Does anyone have an idea of the ratio of dollar bills that are in circulation beyond the shores of the US and what effect does it have on the value of the dollar itself?

Re: A question for the economists on here....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How does the U.S. determine how many dollar bills to print when many of them endlessly circulate on the streets of foreign countries?Does anyone have an idea of the ratio of dollar bills that are in circulation beyond the shores of the US and what effect does it have on the value of the dollar itself?

You may as well ask "How long is a piece of string"

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You may as well ask "How long is a piece of string"
    Thanks for your invaluable input, Tony. My understanding of the situation has now improved exponentially

An even more interesting question is why you think a "pissed up bunch of simpletons" would be able to give you an answer to your question.

I’m sure I read somewhere that a few years back there were more paper $ hidden in Columbia than there were in circulation in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I’m sure I read somewhere that a few years back there were more paper $ hidden in Columbia than there were in circulation in the US.
    How do they know, if THEY ARE HIDDEN.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    An even more interesting question is why you think a "pissed up bunch of simpletons" would be able to give you an answer to your question.
    Can you supply the answer yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I’ve got a one dollar bill, that’s a start

Thanks but it doesn't answer my specific questions.

Not exactly the answer, Genie, but this is how the Bank of England deals with a similar problem - the issue of Scottish and Irish notes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21145103