+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mendez-Laing's medication.

Mendez-Laing's medication.

Our winger suffers from asthma apparently and Neil Warnock was saying in his pre match interview yesterday that the medication he takes for it was changed during the week. Mendez-Laing has been taking the same medication all season, but there is a suggestion now that this was a mistake because, while it was working fine during the warmer temperatures of the summer and autumn, it's now felt that it might be causing side effects in the cold of winter.

When you have as many players missing games through injuries and illness as we have, I suppose it's inevitable that supporters ask questions about things like treatment of injuries/illness and fitness coaching - I've raised doubts about these things myself, while at the same time feeling that I'm just looking for convenient scapegoats for poor results and performances at a time when we have so many first teamers unavailable, but this sort of thing can only make you wonder whether there is a problem after all.

Re: Mendez-Laing's medication.

Strange one this. Haven't recently started suffering from asthma, it's definitely worse on colder days. However, NML is 25, so it seems strange that this would happen for the first time this season. Saying that, this time last year I'd never owned an inhaler, so it's definitely possible!

The other worry about injuries is mis diagnosis (a few times it's been something different to what they thought) and poor estimated recovery times.

So our match winner is dependent on medication that would see him banned from le Tour?

And it took Dr Warlock to spot the problem? Where were our vaunted medical team?

Oddly, I suggested a bit back that maybe the inclement weather had a bearing on the form of our frontline........

I hope that changing NML’s asthma medication is more successful than we did the same for Sammy Ameobi.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I hope that changing NML’s asthma medication is more successful than we did the same for Sammy Ameobi.
    Oh yeah. Forgot about that. The medical department did as well by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    So our match winner is dependent on medication that would see him banned from le Tour?

And it took Dr Warlock to spot the problem? Where were our vaunted medical team?

Oddly, I suggested a bit back that maybe the inclement weather had a bearing on the form of our frontline........
    It was the medical team that spotted the problem. NW just told the media about it, so no need for you to unnecessarily criticise anyone at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    It was the medical team that spotted the problem. NW just told the media about it, so no need for you to unnecessarily criticise anyone at the club.
    As always, you are right on the button. This is what Warlock said:

"I’d noticed his lungs couldn’t do what he was doing earlier in the season, then I saw at half-time against Mansfield and he looked older than me wheezing away in the corner of the dressing room.

"That’s when I had a chat with him and asked if he was okay inhaling and that. He said he was struggling and we got him to see the doctor They did a few tests and the doctor said they should have looked at it a couple of months ago because earlier in season it was the right thing but in the colder months it should have been something else. Something as simple as that. Hopefully we’ve found the answer."

So as you commented "It was the medical team that spotted the problem".

I'm very, very sorry I got completely the wrong end of the stick and credited Warlock with spotting the problem and very very grateful you've corrected me. I hope no-one on the medical staff at the club has been unduly affected by my unwarranted comments.

A growing problem for footballers as they mostly breath through their mouths
    rather than their noses. Featured on 5 Live and BBC Breakfast about a month ago.

A morning puff from an inhaler was recommended.

3 in 10 elite footballers diagnosed

https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/pre...nduced-asthma/

What a wheeze of a post