+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Genuine question

Genuine question

How do you think Whittingham would have coped/performed at Cardiff City this season?

A regular?

The main man?

A squad player?

Genuine question.

Re: Genuine question

Squad.

Been on the decline the last few seasons, moments of quality have dropped in number.

Could have definitely contributed. He's better than Feeney ffs

I don't think he would have got much of a look in. And as much of a fan of his I am. I don't think he would had much of an impact if he did. Not in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How do you think Whittingham would have coped/performed at Cardiff City this season?

A regular?

The main man?

A squad player?

Genuine question.
    Bit part player, mainly in the development side.

what has he done at his new club

He'd have been a very good squad player, much better option than Damour

He would have sulked off and started his own message board.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

A regular?

The main man?

A squad player?

Genuine question.
    Bit part player at best. Not particularly suited to Warnock's tactics of high energy, pressing high, winning your battles and getting the ball forward quickly. His main competition in the starting line up is Joe Ralls and, set pieces apart, Ralls is the better player with a far better engine.

I think Whitts's stats this season give an idea of what his impact might have been had he still been with us - assists - 0, goals - 0. Rovers forums aren't too complimentary about him. Here's a few of the more recent comments on Roverstalk regarding Whittingham, which I suppose many City fans can relate to from his last few seasons:

"I really don't like Whittingham in the midfield. I feel our attack die off every time he is on the ball."

"Whittingham is just so frustrating to watch at this level. He doesn't move much, and really can't afford to have a playmaker that doesn't move."

"Yeah Whittingham out really isn't a big deal, he's not really got going for us at all."

"Whittingham, Gladwin and Harper have been disappointing."

"As previously stated by others, injuries of Evans and Whittingham could be a blessing in disguise"

"Whittingham is not a defensive midfielder in any way, shape or form. Not sure what his use is past getting a pass in here and there."

Hed have hardly had a look in. Pilkington and Tomlin have hardly played.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hed have hardly had a look in. Pilkington and Tomlin have hardly played.
    Agreed based on our style of play under Warnock, but when at his best Ralls at his best is not fit to lace his boots (in fact no one in our squad is)

I was discussing this yesterday when we sunk to the level of Junior Hoillett taking free kicks when he can't put any power in his shots.

Unfortunately, and much though I loved him when he was in his prime, Whittingham now would only be useful for taking free kicks and set pieces. That's no longer enough if we have ambitions to challenge at the top of the division as a midfielder in a NW team also needs to be mobile, quick and good in the tackle.

I still miss the excitement of seeing him get the ball though and his ability to thread the most exquisite passes...

Play the odd cup game at best. Certainly wouldn't be the go to guy on the bench. Plus if he did play I could see Warnock getting proper fekd off with him letting people run past him.