+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City’s best day for for some time.

Cardiff City’s best day for for some time.

Re: Cardiff City’s best day for for some time.

Great report Bob, only thing I disagree with is the red card. I have watched it a dozen or so times in normal speed and in slow motion, and if Hoilett had his foot planted firmly on the ground, not just touching down, he would have had a broken leg. You could see his leg bend.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ca.../report/374936

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Great report Bob, only thing I disagree with is the red card. I have watched it a dozen or so times in normal speed and in slow motion, and if Hoilett had his foot planted firmly on the ground, not just touching down, he would have had a broken leg. You could see his leg bend.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ca.../report/374936
    You are off your rocker if you think that was a possible leg breaker. Never a red card, did Warnock complain about the referee this week?

👍 debate over Ralls elsewherehas got a bit silly and really it's impossible to judge as it depends who these players have alongside them and what style they are expected to play. I also think some claims are being made on reputation rather than having seen the Wolves players in action more than a couple of times.

I've seen Cairney 3-4 times vs us and a couple of times on TV and think he's excellent. However Ralls is a better tackler and is playing in a side who don't pass the ball anywhere near as well or as often as Fulham, yet he's playing a major part in us being 3rd.

It's a totally subjective argument.

I've also been impressed by a few others.. Bannon was good vs us, and decent in some TV games, but ineffective in others, for example.

As for Sunderland, they were exactly what we needed after the past few weeks. Short of goal threat and unable to create anything .

We looked solid at the back and full of threat going forward.

There was a lot of moaning around me at half time, but I felt we had played much better than recently amd that we were unlucky not to be in front.

I felt one goal would finish it, although I feared for the effect on the atmosphere if they scored first !

Bigger tests to come in the next few weeks with 3 tough aways which may (Mansfield replay depending) or may not be interspersed by Bolton at home.

With Derby and Villa hitting form we need to show that yesterday was just the start of our improvement back to form if we still have aims for top 2.

Yes, I thought we had played much better in first half, Morrison was good at the back and Ralls running show in mf. Only thing missing was a threat up top, Zohore was missing. Of course all that changed second half.
    The sending off was correct.

In terms of the sending off, in my book it was harsh. But I like a bit of feistiness in my football.

I thought Bogle's dismissal was harsh too. This one I'd put on a par with it.

However my judgement is tainted by 17 years of throwing myself into every tackle and never getting sent off for it. Had an awful lot of bookings mind.
    😂
    Anyone else like to make a comparison between the 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    In terms of the sending off, in my book it was harsh. But I like a bit of feistiness in my football.

I thought Bogle's dismissal was harsh too. This one I'd put on a par with it.

However my judgement is tainted by 17 years of throwing myself into every tackle and never getting sent off for it. Had an awful lot of bookings mind.

Anyone else like to make a comparison between the 2 ?
    The game has changed though and the offence is one of being 'out of control' now. Bogle definitely was a sending off, though Pack should also have gone earlier in the match. NDong I thought at the time seemed a bit harsh and I'm still not sure given his foot bounced up off a solid contact with the ball. However he was also out of control and you can see why it was given.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Our best performance for a while.
    Less hoof ball.
    Players running into space, passing the ball, looking for the ball, getting forward to support.

An odd shape to the team but it worked.
    If we were confused by the formation then I presume the opposition were too, which is no bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The game has changed though and the offence is one of being 'out of control' now. Bogle definitely was a sending off, though Pack should also have gone earlier in the match. NDong I thought at the time seemed a bit harsh and I'm still not sure given his foot bounced up off a solid contact with the ball. However he was also out of control and you can see why it was given.
    Surely being 'out of control', is almost impossible to judge.

Most of the time I hacked a striker down it was completely under control 😂

Is ANY slide tackle completely under control ?

It's all a bit fuzzy and subjective to me

I think their player could have juts got a yellow.

He did get the ball but his foot slid off the ball in to Hoilett, but he did have his studs up going in to the tackle so i think was classed as dangerous play, and he did end up smashing his studs in to Holiett's leg, so a red was probably correct.If he'd tried to tack with the side of his foot it wouldn't have even been a booking......probably.

The challenge was clumsy and I thought the red card was harsh. Should have been yellow in my opinion. There was no malice or intent, just a crap challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    You are off your rocker if you think that was a possible leg breaker. Never a red card, did Warnock complain about the referee this week?
    So, one of Cardiffs most 'loyal supporters' wades in again with veiled criticism of NW and an indication that one of our best players wasnt really injured by a tackle that took him out above the ankle and should have got up and on with it straight away as he hadnt really been fouled. All utter rubbish as usual.

Foot goes over the ball, studs are showing, it's a red card.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    �� debate over Ralls elsewherehas got a bit silly and really it's impossible to judge as it depends who these players have alongside them and what style they are expected to play. I also think some claims are being made on reputation rather than having seen the Wolves players in action more than a couple of times.

I've seen Cairney 3-4 times vs us and a couple of times on TV and think he's excellent. However Ralls is a better tackler and is playing in a side who don't pass the ball anywhere near as well or as often as Fulham, yet he's playing a major part in us being 3rd.

It's a totally subjective argument.

I've also been impressed by a few others.. Bannon was good vs us, and decent in some TV games, but ineffective in others, for example.

As for Sunderland, they were exactly what we needed after the past few weeks. Short of goal threat and unable to create anything .

We looked solid at the back and full of threat going forward.

There was a lot of moaning around me at half time, but I felt we had played much better than recently amd that we were unlucky not to be in front.

I felt one goal would finish it, although I feared for the effect on the atmosphere if they scored first !

Bigger tests to come in the next few weeks with 3 tough aways which may (Mansfield replay depending) or may not be interspersed by Bolton at home.

With Derby and Villa hitting form we need to show that yesterday was just the start of our improvement back to form if we still have aims for top 2.
    It generally gets silly when certain individuals are part of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I guess the point about the formation is that as Richards was man marking then there wasn't one. It was constantly changing dependent on where Gooch went. I've no idea how the nuances of that work but it seemed to run fairly smoothly yesterday. Bamba was doing a lot of talking, one early chat with Paterson was interesting. We'd been left a bit exposed on a Sunderland break and I assume Bamba was saying that Paterson should've been back covering. Paterson didn't seem to be apologising, the way he was pointing up the pitch I assume he was saying that this system was giving him a licence to get forward and he can't be in two places at one time. To be fair to Paterson, Medel is still waiting for Mutch to get back.

After two blanks at home, I've no problem trying something different if the players are comfortable with it. Bigger tests to come but credit to Warnock for freshening things up a bit after a bad run rather than just hammering away with plan A like some managers called Slade would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I guess the point about the formation is that as Richards was man marking then there wasn't one. It was constantly changing dependent on where Gooch went. I've no idea how the nuances of that work but it seemed to run fairly smoothly yesterday. Bamba was doing a lot of talking, one early chat with Paterson was interesting. We'd been left a bit exposed on a Sunderland break and I assume Bamba was saying that Paterson should've been back covering. Paterson didn't seem to be apologising, the way he was pointing up the pitch I assume he was saying that this system was giving him a licence to get forward and he can't be in two places at one time. To be fair to Paterson, Medel is still waiting for Mutch to get back.

After two blanks at home, I've no problem trying something different if the players are comfortable with it. Bigger tests to come but credit to Warnock for freshening things up a bit after a bad run rather than just hammering away with plan A like some managers called Slade would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

I think it's a consequence of their formation, their width was going to come from their wing backs, so we could pack the middle of the park. Will be interesting what we do on Saturday away to Wednesday who are almost certain to play 4-4-2.

I think similar personnel though, with slightly different tactics.

Coincidence that the CCFC main web site game to recall v Sunderland was the 4-0 win in 2004 when Sunderland were reduced to 10 men as well with an almost identical crowd of 17,337 (17,703 on Saturday).

Another coincidence is our 5-2 win v Sunderland in 1978 was immediately followed by an away game at..................................... Mansfield (albeit a league game)

I've got too much time on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Coincidence that the CCFC main web site game to recall v Sunderland was the 4-0 win in 2004 when Sunderland were reduced to 10 men as well with an almost identical crowd of 17,337 (17,703 on Saturday).

Another coincidence is our 5-2 win v Sunderland in 1978 was immediately followed by an away game at..................................... Mansfield (albeit a league game)

I've got too much time on my hands
    That was the game the day John Charles died in 2004, wasn't it? The Sunderland fans booed/sang through the minute's silence and we absolutely stuffed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That was the game the day John Charles died in 2004, wasn't it? The Sunderland fans booed/sang through the minute's silence and we absolutely stuffed them.
    That was the one. My lad's first ever City game 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Seems that the FA does not agree with you! Appeal turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So, one of Cardiffs most 'loyal supporters' wades in again with veiled criticism of NW and an indication that one of our best players wasnt really injured by a tackle that took him out above the ankle and should have got up and on with it straight away as he hadnt really been fouled. All utter rubbish as usual.
    Nowhere near as bad as Senior Hoilett last night. Worst I ever saw was McPhail, when he got his marching orders at Layer Rd. Seem to recall it also resulted in a penalty, duly converted by Jamie Currton in 1-3 loss😡😡😡

Mansfield 1 - 4 Cardiff. Comment

Re: Mansfield 1 - 4 Cardiff. Comment

Great review WOL take note