+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another poor attendance yesterday.

Another poor attendance yesterday.

A win takes us temporarily up to 2nd, and plenty of empty seats.
    If we needed say 6points from our last 4 home games, for automatic promotion, it would be amazing how many fans would suddenly find the cash and time off from work etc.
    Just saying like!

Re: Another poor attendance yesterday.

Boring.

If we beat Mansfield, I hope we sell out the Manchester City match, just for the moaning from certain supporters. Guarantee the atmosphere will be better when it's 'full of glory supporters' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Boring.

If we beat Mansfield, I hope we sell out the Manchester City match, just for the moaning from certain supporters. Guarantee the atmosphere will be better when it's 'full of glory supporters' as well.
    I or my wife didn’t go yesterday and we are both season ticket holders , the early kick off was awkward for us as a family....

I thought the crowd was pretty good really. Sunderland brought around 900 which was excellent as well.

I think we will average around 20,000 this season which isn’t bad.

Because a LOT of people don't turn up to football matches in hope to validate themselves...they do it to be ENTERTAINED. I don't think our recent form (the performances not the results) really warrants a high attendance, do you???

it is not exactly rocket science

`I think 17,600 or so was OK, it was on Sky and it was 12.30pm kick off. I think Sunderland would have had more fans if the kick off had been at 3pm, I wonder what time they had to start out on their buses? For City it's probably offset by the money Sky give us.

Although, compared to a few other clubs our crowds don't compare very favourably. It's fair to say though that teams like Middlesbrough, Leeds, Sheffield United, Wolves etc have usually had better crowds than us for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    Because a LOT of people don't turn up to football matches in hope to validate themselves...they do it to be ENTERTAINED. I don't think our recent form (the performances not the results) really warrants a high attendance, do you???

it is not exactly rocket science
    If we lost the last 4 league games before a cup final, I think you'd find people would magically put their dismay at not being entertained aside.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    If we lost the last 4 league games before a cup final, I think you'd find people would magically put their dismay at not being entertained aside.
    Yesterday wasn't a Cup Final though, it was a home game against Sunderland.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    I or my wife didn’t go yesterday and we are both season ticket holders , the early kick off was awkward for us as a family....

I thought the crowd was pretty good really. Sunderland brought around 900 which was excellent as well.

I think we will average around 20,000 this season which isn’t bad.
    To be honest, I was expecting around 15k. Early kick-off, plus Cardiff are not playing very well at the moment.

This is how the average crowd has been going since the start of the season.

1 23,899
    2 20,872
    3 20,088
    4 19,850
    5 21,312
    6 20,900
    7 20,557
    8 19,981
    9 19,576
    10 19,322
    11 19,205
    12 19,411
    13 19,283
    14 19,170

The average attendance after home match 13 is the lowest it has been all season. The club are currently 3rd, a position they have been higher than for the majority of the season. To average 20,000 crowds, the club must average 21,291 over the next 9 games.

These are the average crowds in 2011-12. The last season before the you-know-what. Cardiff were 3rd after home game 14, having spent the first half of the season in 8th/9th spot.

1. 22,639 (5.3% lower than this season)
    2. 22,826 (9.4% higher)
    3. 22,505 (12% higher)
    4. 22,167 (11.7% higher)
    5. 22,234 (4.3% higher)
    6. 22,163 (6% higher)
    7. 21,949 (6.8% higher)
    8. 21,960 (9.9% higher)
    9. 22,025 (12.5% higher)
    10. 22,024 (14% higher)
    11. 22,147 (16.4% higher)
    12. 22,273 (14.7% higher)
    13. 22,266 (15.5% higher)
    14. 22,289 (16.3% higher)

The average crowd in 2011-12 season is 3,119 higher than this season. The ticket prices are unchanged. The team are performing as well as, if not better. In real terms it is less expensive to watch Cardiff City now than it was in 2011/12. On Home match day 3 of 2011/12 Cardiff played the glamorous Doncaster Rovers with 8 points from 5 games, and being 6th in the league. The crowd was 21,863. Cardiff City, this season, played QPR having won all of their previous games. The crowd, 18,520. A difference of 3,343.

In the course of 6 years, the club have lost an average of 3,119 fans a game - despite being better placed on the pitch. I doubt if Newport County are averaging 3,119 fans.

I've heard that there are too many games, too few games, silly kick-off times, and all sorts of other reasons for the drop in crowds. Not one person seems willing to point the finger at Vincent Tan. They prefer to point at a fickle fan base, but here are figures from a season that pales in comparison to this current season - 2011/12 provided ample opportunities for the fickleness of fans to shine through.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    `I think 17,600 or so was OK, it was on Sky and it was 12.30pm kick off. I think Sunderland would have had more fans if the kick off had been at 3pm, I wonder what time they had to start out on their buses? For City it's probably offset by the money Sky give us.

Although, compared to a few other clubs our crowds don't compare very favourably. It's fair to say though that teams like Middlesbrough, Leeds, Sheffield United, Wolves etc have usually had better crowds than us for years.
    Seen a group on the train from central to ninian park, pointed them in the right direction once we got off the train, they drove down at 5am and were staying in Cardiff after the game to save a long drive home. Fair play.

Given our attendances this year, 17700 wasn't bad with sky and early kick offs. In the bigger scheme of things we are certainly 3/4k below what I, and probably the club expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    To be honest, I was expecting around 15k. Early kick-off, plus Cardiff are not playing very well at the moment.

This is how the average crowd has been going since the start of the season.

1 23,899
    2 20,872
    3 20,088
    4 19,850
    5 21,312
    6 20,900
    7 20,557
    8 19,981
    9 19,576
    10 19,322
    11 19,205
    12 19,411
    13 19,283
    14 19,170

The average attendance after home match 13 is the lowest it has been all season. The club are currently 3rd, a position they have been higher than for the majority of the season. To average 20,000 crowds, the club must average 21,291 over the next 9 games.

These are the average crowds in 2011-12. The last season before the you-know-what. Cardiff were 3rd after home game 14, having spent the first half of the season in 8th/9th spot.

1. 22,639 (5.3% lower than this season)
    2. 22,826 (9.4% higher)
    3. 22,505 (12% higher)
    4. 22,167 (11.7% higher)
    5. 22,234 (4.3% higher)
    6. 22,163 (6% higher)
    7. 21,949 (6.8% higher)
    8. 21,960 (9.9% higher)
    9. 22,025 (12.5% higher)
    10. 22,024 (14% higher)
    11. 22,147 (16.4% higher)
    12. 22,273 (14.7% higher)
    13. 22,266 (15.5% higher)
    14. 22,289 (16.3% higher)

The average crowd in 2011-12 season is 3,119 higher than this season. The ticket prices are unchanged. The team are performing as well as, if not better. In real terms it is less expensive to watch Cardiff City now than it was in 2011/12. On Home match day 3 of 2011/12 Cardiff played the glamorous Doncaster Rovers with 8 points from 5 games, and being 6th in the league. The crowd was 21,863. Cardiff City, this season, played QPR having won all of their previous games. The crowd, 18,520. A difference of 3,343.

In the course of 6 years, the club have lost an average of 3,119 fans a game - despite being better placed on the pitch. I doubt if Newport County are averaging 3,119 fans.

I've heard that there are too many games, too few games, silly kick-off times, and all sorts of other reasons for the drop in crowds. Not one person seems willing to point the finger at Vincent Tan. They prefer to point at a fickle fan base, but here are figures from a season that pales in comparison to this current season - 2011/12 provided ample opportunities for the fickleness of fans to shine through.
    Yourargument is rubbish. How many of the games from 2011/2012 were live on the tv and/or had altered kick off times - I would hazard a guess at less than this season. Also in 2011/12 we had had a number of years pressing for promotion and crowds had built up over a period of 5/6 years, whereas now we are starting from the Slade/Trollope disasters of 18 months ago - much less time to have a major effect. Also we have home games to come this season against main rivals Wolves and Bristol City plus old adversary Birmingham and Middlesborough - all of these games will achieve well over 20000 crowds to boost our average.

Unlike you, most people have now got over what happened with Tan a few years ago and recognised that he is doing his best to put things right. Warnock is also the best manager we have had for many years and crowds will continue to build further as we progress under him. Your argument about the rebrand is also shot down by the fact that crowds didn't fall greatly until 2 years after it occured. The home average in 2014/2015, when we had been relegated from Prem the season before, was still over 21000 and it was the next season, under Slade, that it dropped to 16500. The real reason for our crowds dropping therefore is not Tan, its Slades crap management and the way the team was playing under him. Our averages have since increased every season and currently stand at over 19000 - hardly the disaster that you are portraying. Get off Tans and the clubs back.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yourargument is rubbish. How many of the games from 2011/2012 were live on the tv and/or had altered kick off times - I would hazard a guess at less than this season. Also in 2011/12 we had had a number of years pressing for promotion and crowds had built up over a period of 5/6 years, whereas now we are starting from the Slade/Trollope disasters of 18 months ago - much less time to have a major effect. Also we have home games to come this season against main rivals Wolves and Bristol City plus old adversary Birmingham and Middlesborough - all of these games will achieve well over 20000 crowds to boost our average.

Unlike you, most people have now got over what happened with Tan a few years ago and recognised that he is doing his best to put things right. Warnock is also the best manager we have had for many years and crowds will continue to build further as we progress under him. Your argument about the rebrand is also shot down by the fact that crowds didn't fall greatly until 2 years after it occured. The home average in 2014/2015, when we had been relegated from Prem the season before, was still over 21000 and it was the next season, under Slade, that it dropped to 16500. The real reason for our crowds dropping therefore is not Tan, its Slades crap management and the way the team was playing under him. Our averages have since increased every season and currently stand at over 19000 - hardly the disaster that you are portraying. Get off Tans and the clubs back.
    Nicely said.

Thing have changed,my mate bought a ticket cost 25 bucks is not easy ,for everyone to do that at that price ,with the add on's that turns into a 40 pound day, if your lucky

Everyone overlooking woeful Chrimbo effect. Historic nul points is unprecedented, even by our traditionally dismal festive season return. (One win on Boxing Day in 200 years et etc))

I took son and father in law to Hammersmith debacle, knowing Sessingnon and Cairney would boss, and no disappointment there😡😡🤬😡

You were doing ok till you described the Slade and Trollope tenures as “disasters”.
    To me “disasters” would be relagation , or going close to being bust.
    In my book, your either a City fan or not. If you are, then you get your arse down the ground for the thick and thin edge of the wedge.
    You or anyone can wrap this up however you want, but we had the chance to go 2nd yesterday, and the crowd was below our average.
    Early kick offs, game on TV, blah blah blah.
    We are a big City club with fickle and many fair weather fans. Simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thing have changed,my mate bought a ticket cost 25 bucks is not easy ,for everyone to do that at that price ,with the add on's that turns into a 40 pound day, if your lucky
    Cost me 30 quid for food and train fare for me and my daughter. I didn't need to buy tickets, but if I did I'd be looking at 50 quid.
    Can see how many couldn't do that too often.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You were doing ok till you described the Slade and Trollope tenures as “disasters”.
    In my book, your either a City fan or not. If you are, then you get your arse down the ground for the thick and thin edge of the wedge.
    You or anyone can wrap this up however you want, but we had the chance to go 2nd yesterday, and the crowd was below our average.
    I'd go in league 2. Others go for entertainment. Slade wasn't entertainment, so he's got a good point.

So according to you, who you are playing, time of kick off, live on tv, recent performances/results should have no bearing on the attendances at home matches. Sorry but you are not living in the real world if you believe that. Also if you dont think the Slade and Trollope periods were disasters then you are seriously in the minority on that one as well. Losing 5000 off our average gate in under 12 months and flirting with relegation twice class as disasters in my book. We lost between 3000-4000 off the gate yesterday because of the above factors - Sunderland would normally bring 1500-2000 alone, even in their current predicament. With 20000+ in the ground we wouldnt even be having this discussion today.

The crowds are disappointing and it would be nice to be getting 20,000+, but can we stop talking about and it, complaining about it and an analysing it every week?

People have their reasons. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The crowds are disappointing and it would be nice to be getting 20,000+, but can we stop talking about and it, complaining about it and an analysing it every week?

People have their reasons. And there's nothing you can do about it.
    So why join in ? 😀

"Averages have increased every season" - isn't this just the second post Slade season?

Ticket prices are good, the team are good, the stadium is good. Why have the club lost the equivalent of a Newport County off their attendances since 2011/12?

I know a fair few people who give Vincent Tan as their reason. I'm interested to hear other reasons, it's far more productive than yet another "crap crowd yesterday" thread. I usually jump on such threads with evidence (albeit some is anecdotal) that Tan deserves a portion of blame (not all of it) but usually this doesn't sit well with those who still go and hope he opens his cheqye book.

I'm not portraying the crowds as a disaster, but they are significantly lower than you'd realistically expect. It's important stuff, it determines how much money the club has to spend on new players.

21,000 on Boxing Day whilst second in the league? That is pitiful and shows there is a significant loss of interest and appetite to watch Cardiff City.

So why join in ? ��
    Because enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Because enough already.
    To be fair NYCBlue, the title of the thread kinda gave it away. It seems plenty of posters were interested enough to give an opinion. If your fed up of this topic, then there are plenty of other threads to look at. Why even bother looking at this one?

"Averages have increased every season" - isn't this just the second post Slade season?

Ticket prices are good, the team are good, the stadium is good. Why have the club lost the equivalent of a Newport County off their attendances since 2011/12?

I know a fair few people who give Vincent Tan as their reason. I'm interested to hear other reasons, it's far more productive than yet another "crap crowd yesterday" thread. I usually jump on such threads with evidence (albeit some is anecdotal) that Tan deserves a portion of blame (not all of it) but usually this doesn't sit well with those who still go and hope he opens his cheqye book.

I'm not portraying the crowds as a disaster, but they are significantly lower than you'd realistically expect. It's important stuff, it determines how much money the club has to spend on new players.

21,000 on Boxing Day whilst second in the league? That is pitiful and shows there is a significant loss of interest and appetite to watch Cardiff City.

Crowds of course are important , but I dont think they influence the playing budget as much as they may have 20 years ago. Take Norwich as an example. They have to sell and sell quickly as they simply do not have the finances presently to carry on as they are. They have crowds in excess of 26,000 most games, but what they don’t have is a rich benefactor to subsidise them.

Our average crowds you have listed do not take into account 4,000 free children’s tickets which were purchased for the family stand.

If this deal was still in place , then the attendance figures for last season would be 20,000 and 23,000 for this season.

It's always seductive when playing with statistics to pick a base year that suits your argument. In this case the year before the rebrand. Our average went up a few thousand the season after and five thousand more after promotion dropping back to the pre-promotion position the season after. It only started plummeting when we returned to blue. On this analysis going back to blue has had a major influence on crowds from which we have not recovered.

Alternatively our averages slumped to mid 16k under Slade and Trollope but have bounced back under Warnock by almost the size of a Newport County.

Lies, damn lies and statistics eh!

Obviously the year after relegation there were a number of season ticket renewals that cashed out the following year and the Premier lovers drifted away. That coupled with people who walked away because of Tan and the rebrand and haven't come back, the sterile soulless football on show and a lack of connection between the managers/team and fans at the time all contributed to the drop to 16.5k from which we are beginning to recover.

Main reason I think was net emigration to the Balearic Isles though!