+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The pitch is looking worn

Re: The pitch is looking worn

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Did you see them against spurs? I know it was raining but the pitch looked terrible, the wurzels must have some good groundsmen to keep that pitch the way it is but I do think we could have different weather to them but would give the groundsmen the nod
    I walked into the hotel bar where the game was on just in time to see Spurs score their 2nd. 😉In the 5 minutes I saw the pitch looked wet, but not bobbly or bare in patches like ours is.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Yes and some are a lot worse
    Which ones ?
    Forest's looked perfect Saturday
    Didn't see any others

Average annual rainfall in Bristol is 819mm a year. Average annual rainfall in Cardiff is 980mm a year, making Cardiff the 5th wettest City in the UK. Cardiff has almost 20% more rain than Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    It was awful on Sat. The ball was bobbling terribly in front of the Ninian , particularly in the area near the away fans. Worrying when you consider how it's degenerated in previous seasons.
    It's causing havoc for our silky passing style.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Well it has crossed my mind that it is a deliberate act on our part to stop tippy tappy teams.NW is quite capable of ploys like this.
    It has deteriorated quite suddenly mind. It was only a few weeks ago I commented on how 'lush' it was looking for the time of season.

Maybe our Neil has given the instruction to neglect it, after all.

Good to see the lights on in the background of the photo of Grujic holding his shirt. I thought that perhaps they were not being used to keep costs down,

s
    T

The Jacks are further west so more rain and the Ospreys also play their but it looks better than ours at present,sign a new groundsman?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Are Bristols and Swansea's ropy then ?

Swansea even have to share theirs with the egg.

Bristol City do too

Neither looked anywhere near as bad as ours when I last saw them on TV
    The Liberty and Ashton Gate benefit from a grass 'weave' - a more durable surface than normal.

Can take the rigours of scrummaging leaving a decent surface.

http://www.dessosports.com/hybrid-grass

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    The Liberty and Ashton Gate benefit from a grass 'weave' - a more durable surface than normal.

Can take the rigours of scrummaging leaving a decent surface.

http://www.dessosports.com/hybrid-grass
    So we don't have grass weave technology then? If not, it begs the question ... why not?

It seems to me that those who are worried about the pitch are in the main concerned for cosmetic reasons. I notice Lawnmower mentions the ball bobbling a lot in the area by the away fans and, as someone who sits at the other end of the stadium, I cannot argue with him on that point, but a few bare pitches on it does not concern me as long as the pitch is not misbehaving in any way and I saw no evidence of that in Canton stand half of it. it's certainly nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of seasons ago and the only pitch where I've seen us play on in the flesh was pre Christmas Leckwith Stadium pitch which became very bobbly and was definitely a factor which effected the quality of play.

As for Alex Neil, I take anything he says about his opponents post game with a pinch of salt based on our past encounters with his teams - Preston were one of the worst sides to have played down here this season and got lucky to the extent that we were even worse than them on the night.

One small part of the pitch that did become worn was where the Sunderland players did that warm up routine before the kick off involving those small plastic cones and the short exaggerated steps in a small area. As soon as the Sunderland players went off the ground staff were on with forks trying to repair the damage. That particular routine needs to be done behind the goal line where the damage matters less

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just watched the extended highlights on the club site and the pitch looked okay to me.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    So we don't have grass weave technology then? If not, it begs the question ... why not?
    I would imagine that the cost is prohibitive especially if the pitch is only going to be used every other week on average.

Would be interesting to see if most PL pitches are 100% natural or like Swansea's 'weave'.

Perhaps managers prefer the 100% grass if they suspect that any artificial mix may cause problems.

I hope its like a ploughed field when we play man city. 'Ankle ligament damage'