+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jamie Oliver’s Cardiff restaurant set to close

Re: Jamie Oliver’s Cardiff restaurant set to close

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I wasn't trying to compare their skills cause there is no comparison. Tom Kerridge is half the man he used to be. Literally. Seen how much weight he's lost. Cracking chef.
    I wasn't having a go at you Joe Just the general public who think Oliver is a great chef

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I wasn't having a go at you Joe Just the general public who think Oliver is a great chef
    No worries mate. It's funny you mention Tom Kerridge my misses just bought one of his books. She will just look at the pictures of course and then tell me what to cook.

No worries mate. It's funny you mention Tom Kerridge my misses just bought one of his books. She will just look at the pictures of course and then tell me what to cook.
    Haha. I think he's the first ever to have a Michelin star for a pub

It's all down to profit margins , when that restaurant opened in Cardiff , there was less competition on that level . Now more places have opened he is not probably getting the turnover , combined with cardiffs crippling business rates , the accountants in head office will pull the plug . Nothing no to do with food , apart from the fact it never was or never will be as good as a proprietor owned restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Given the poor quality of food and the number of his restaurants that have closed, I'd suspect he needed better marketing.
    Or better food

Haha. I think he's the first ever to have a Michelin star for a pub
    Blumenthal had one , The Hinds Head just down the road from the Fat Duck

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    It's all down to profit margins , when that restaurant opened in Cardiff , there was less competition on that level . Now more places have opened he is not probably getting the turnover , combined with cardiffs crippling business rates , the accountants in head office will pull the plug . Nothing no to do with food , apart from the fact it never was or never will be as good as a proprietor owned restaurant.
    So what's the excuse for all the other restaurants of his, not located in Cardiff, that have closed? Brexit as he laughably said for one round of closures...

For someone who can’t cook, and doesn’t know why his business is failing his net worth of 240m isn’t too bad.

His ability to flim-flam the public is almost Barnum-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Blumenthal had one , The Hinds Head just down the road from the Fat Duck
    2 Michelin stats sorry

So what's the excuse for all the other restaurants of his, not located in Cardiff, that have closed? Brexit as he laughably said for one round of closures...
    There's almost 100 restaurants in the chain. As Rocco says it's a straightforward business decision by the money men - you're not naïve enough to think he's heavily involved in those things surely?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    There's almost 100 restaurants in the chain. As Rocco says it's a straightforward business decision by the money men - you're not naïve enough to think he's heavily involved in those things surely?
    Are you naive enough to think he has zero input in the direction especially food wise of the chain?

It's a business decision due to heavily losing money down to cost and quality...

Jamie of course doesnt cook at them ( though he has been known to pop into watergate bay to twirl a spoon in the kitchen ) though of course that place cannot be knocked ALL the profits go to the cornwall food foundation and they run the place with apprenticeships, he is giving something back

by all accounts he has a say in the menu's at his places, but thats it, i think the one in Bath is closing down aswell, they were never meant to be overly " high end " places, I always thought of them as a chain restaurant for the mass's

Are you naive enough to think he has zero input in the direction especially food wise of the chain?

It's a business decision due to heavily losing money down to cost and quality...
    That’s why I used the words HEAVILY involved. Keep up.

That’s why I used the words HEAVILY involved. Keep up.
    At least you’ve realised it was a business decision though, fair do’s.

Matt’s right - the brand is targeted at the masses, in the same way that the Jamie Oliver brand is. It’s about making cooking approachable for all - even luddites whose culinary expertise currently sits with Pot Noodle

I would imagine he just got paid a lot of dough to put his name and face on it

I would imagine he just got paid a lot of dough to put his name and face on it
    And that's just for the pizza base.

i thought Carluccio's owned the Jamie Oliver chain, with just Oliver's name as a marketing set up?

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    i thought Carluccio's owned the Jamie Oliver chain, with just Oliver's name as a marketing set up?
    I don't know anything about the subject matter in hand but some individuals and companies own trade marks without ever manufacturing or producing anything themselves. They simply license their brands.

I went there once. If my memory serves me correctly they put a 10% table reservation charge on the bill and also 10% service charge - which wasn't mandatory but probably 90% of people coughed up.

He very obviously is not a shit chef. You or I are shit chefs. He may not be Michelin Star quality, but shit he is not
    I think he's a shit chef.

Bastard took our turkey twizzlers.

I did like the fact that he tried to improve school dinners and make them more healthy. Less pizza n twislers more fresh food. Some see it as a well off mockney ttw@t poking his nose in and they might be on to something but I thought his heart was in the right place.
    Funnily enough, a trip to Jamie's restaurant did remind me of my old school dinners

Jamie Oliver is basically shit as a chef. All TV image, no substance.

He's had restaurants go under for ages - last lot he blamed upon brexit conveniently ignoring his failed restaurants pre-Brexit referendum...

Was dragged there by a family member last year - shit food, paying for the name.
    His special ingredient is saliva.