+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Oliver’s Cardiff restaurant set to close

Jamie Oliver’s Cardiff restaurant set to close

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...-city-14152903

I thought it was doing OK, obviously not.

Re: Jamie Oliver’s Cardiff restaurant set to close

Jamie Oliver is basically shit as a chef. All TV image, no substance.

He's had restaurants go under for ages - last lot he blamed upon brexit conveniently ignoring his failed restaurants pre-Brexit referendum...

Was dragged there by a family member last year - shit food, paying for the name.

Had a meal there last year, was nice enough but expensive.
    There are far better Italian restaurants around the City.
    Giovanni’s is better even though the bloke is a top class kent.

He's never bloody there, should be called ""jamies not here"". Plenty of good home grown Italians in Cardiff , the small one by the City Arms is excellent ,won awards , as is the one in Canton opposite the Kings .

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

He's had restaurants go under for ages - last lot he blamed upon brexit conveniently ignoring his failed restaurants pre-Brexit referendum...

Was dragged there by a family member last year - shit food, paying for the name.
    He very obviously is not a shit chef. You or I are shit chefs. He may not be Michelin Star quality, but shit he is not

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    He very obviously is not a shit chef. You or I are shit chefs. He may not be Michelin Star quality, but shit he is not
    Hmm, yeah. yeah he is.

Recipes are decidedly average at best.

he is to cookery what Charlotte Church is to Opera - an imposter the masses love through ignorance...

I make a far, far better Pot Noodle than he does.

If a pastry chef prepares pastry....

Exactly right. It's not like he's the chef at any of these chain restaurants. It's the same as Nando's and all those other chains.

And, yes, he is a shit chef. He was different to all other TV chefs, hence why he kept getting TV shows. Pukka!

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Exactly right. It's not like he's the chef at any of these chain restaurants. It's the same as Nando's and all those other chains.

And, yes, he is a shit chef. He was different to all other TV chefs, hence why he kept getting TV shows. Pukka!
    Of course it’s a chain and of course he’s not at them. It’s called marketing.

Of course it’s a chain and of course he’s not at them. It’s called marketing.
    Given the poor quality of food and the number of his restaurants that have closed, I'd suspect he needed better marketing.

I did like the fact that he tried to improve school dinners and make them more healthy. Less pizza n twislers more fresh food. Some see it as a well off mockney ttw@t poking his nose in and they might be on to something but I thought his heart was in the right place.

Gordon Ramsay doesn't cook in all his restraints either or Marco Pierre White or countless others so I wouldn't hold that against Oliver but if the food is average and overpriced then that's different.

Lol restraints I'm just gonna leave it in there. Would be good to see that.

I've been in 2 of those restaurants and the food was fine, not spectacular, but good enough.
    I don't think there are ANY really good italian restaurants in Cardiff, the small one by the stadium posibly the best.

I don't think he's a shit chef, I don't think you would get to his position if you were

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I did like the fact that he tried to improve school dinners and make them more healthy. Less pizza n twislers more fresh food. Some see it as a well off mockney ttw@t poking his nose in and they might be on to something but I thought his heart was in the right place.
    Turkey twizzlers were lush as a treat every now and then.

Heart in the right place? Pah. Increased profile to sell more books; happy to paid by a supermarket chain who sold other crap food too.

Agree school dinners need to be healthier but killing choice is always ridiculous.

Turkey twizzlers were da feckin bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post

Gordon Ramsay doesn't cook in all his restraints either or Marco Pierre White or countless others so I wouldn't hold that against Oliver but if the food is average and overpriced then that's different.

Lol restraints I'm just gonna leave it in there. Would be good to see that.
    I don’t consider it over priced.

Appropriate for the investment put into them. My guess is they get closed because of the management in that particular site. When you have a brand it has to live up to itself. If your only lens is Cardiff and that restaurant was poorly managed then I can understand why someone who doesn’t venture out of Cardiff much could think it was typical of the entire chain and therefore tar everything with the same brush

BTW - I agree with you and the Cardiff lens comment is a general one and not directed at you
    Last edited by StraightOuttaCanton; 14-01-18 at 19:06. Reason: Adding extra

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've been in 2 of those restaurants and the food was fine, not spectacular, but good enough.
    I don't think there are ANY really good italian restaurants in Cardiff, the small one by the stadium posibly the best.

I don't think he's a shit chef, I don't think you would get to his position if you were
    Casanova's is actually a really good Italian restaurant in my view. I've never had anything other than wonderful food there - and it's a lot better than a few high end restaurants I've eaten in in Italy itself...

Appropriate for the investment put into them. My guess is they get closed because of the management in that particular site. When you have a brand it has to live up to itself. If your only lens is Cardiff and that restaurant was poorly managed then I can understand why someone who doesn’t venture out of Cardiff much could think it was typical of the entire chain and therefore tar everything with the same brush

BTW - I agree with you and the Cardiff lens comment is a general one and not directed at you
    He's had plenty of restaurants in his chain close. Cardiff isn't a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

What’s the small on Cowbridge rd canton almost opp Tesco? Calabrisella? That’s very good.....surprised Jamie’s was closing mind as chain food crap seems popular in that part of the city centre....

I thought that I read that 12 of them were closing down?

He's had plenty of restaurants in his chain close. Cardiff isn't a one off.
    Your point is broadly irrelevant.That’s what happens with a branded chain operation,

Your point is broadly irrelevant.That’s what happens with a branded chain operation,
    Right - his closures have occurred in batches over numerous years. Which usually tends to indicate a lack of awareness as to why they failed. If you keep repeating the same mistakes...

Blaming Brexit previously was utterly laughable.

Jamie Oliver is a pretender how the feck he's been spoken about in the same league as Ramsay is laughable. Kerridge is the new man on the block now and is a top class chef so Oliver can feck off

Dreadful over priced plastic Italian place.
    Zio Pins or the Italian next to the Globe both on albany road are far superior in my opinion.

Turkey twizzlers were lush as a treat every now and then.

Heart in the right place? Pah. Increased profile to sell more books; happy to paid by a supermarket chain who sold other crap food too.

Agree school dinners need to be healthier but killing choice is always ridiculous.
    I don't remember a Jamie's school dinners recipe book coming out though. Of course he will flog whatever he can and I understand he can look a massive tw@t and use stupid words to "sex up" his TV shows. I still think that he wanted to do something constructive with school meals though. Turkey twislers are obviously fine now n then, of course they are but if you have them in school then have them for tea at home maybe that's not so fine all the time. Still I fully get people being pissed off when Janue Oliver says it cause he can come across as a bit of a nob.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Jamie Oliver is a pretender how the feck he's been spoken about in the same league as Ramsay is laughable. Kerridge is the new man on the block now and is a top class chef so Oliver can feck off
    I wasn't trying to compare their skills cause there is no comparison. Tom Kerridge is half the man he used to be. Literally. Seen how much weight he's lost. Cracking chef.