+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Giggs on the brink of Wales appointment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Giggs on the brink of Wales appointment

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I dont think players who win 9 leagues in 11 years, and 13 in 20 do so by being in a "comfort zone".

Theres a difference between someone having a winning metality and actually winning things, and someone who gives 100% and is desperate to win but never wins anything. .

Comparing Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamys winning mentality is like comparing Phil Taylor to Mervyn King.

Bellamy was a football nomad because he had no respect for his peers and chased the pound note. He was either bombed out because the hassle of managing him outweighed what he produced on the pitch, or he forced a move for money.

He couldnt even respect the great Sir Bobby Robson and even took a golf club to a team mates legs ffs.
    Was it Giggs or Ferguson that had the winning mentality?

Did OGS have it? did Gary Neville? Beckham? Keane?

Well of course, at least visually, Keane did but none of those Man Utd players have gone on to be great leaders of others - the best is Steve Bruce who manages in The Championship and no top Premier League club has even had a pint on him

It’s a complete lottery with the choices the FAW has/had with Osian the only one with any coaching pedigree at all (unless you count Joke City).

To me what got Coleman there (apart from Bale) was his passion about being Welsh - he is of course a Jack just like Hartson so did have a battle with Is bluebirds (one in particular 😀).

I can’t imagine Giggs using Bale’s quote at the euros about all he needed was the dragon on his chest as motivation, whereas I can pictures Bellamy doing and saying exactly the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

Well of course, at least visually, Keane did but none of those Man Utd players have gone on to be great leaders of others - the best is Steve Bruce who manages in The Championship and no top Premier League club has even had a pint on him

It’s a complete lottery with the choices the FAW has/had with Osian the only one with any coaching pedigree at all (unless you count Joke City).

To me what got Coleman there (apart from Bale) was his passion about being Welsh - he is of course a Jack just like Hartson so did have a battle with Is bluebirds (one in particular ��).

I can’t imagine Giggs using Bale’s quote at the euros about all he needed was the dragon on his chest as motivation, whereas I can pictures Bellamy doing and saying exactly the same thing
    They all had it. They were all winners. With the amount of trophies they won thats not just down the manager, the players have to have the same mentality. With all that they won, I dont see how anyone can argue any different.

Wether they go on to have a good management careers is another matter, complete seperate entity to wether they had the winning mentality. It all depends on the environment in which they are allowed to manage.

Since the Premier League and the money involved its fashionable to employ foreign coaches, especially in the top jobs. The premier league and Sky Sports have made players, British players in particular, very, very wealthy and they dont need to have the stress of a managers job. Look at the money Neville, Carragher and Henry are earning at Sky. Why swap that for grey hair and ageing in dog years? Jose Mourinho was the picture of health when he first arrived in this country, very handsome man (not in a gay way). 15 years later he looks half dead.

I applaud the likes of Giggs, Bellamy, Gerrard.etc for looking to go into management when they dont have to. Theyve all got TV work and it would be far easier for them to go down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They all had it. They were all winners. With the amount of trophies they won thats not just down the manager, the players have to have the same mentality. With all that they won, I dont see how anyone can argue any different.

Wether they go on to have a good management careers is another matter, complete seperate entity to wether they had the winning mentality. It all depends on the environment in which they are allowed to manage.

Since the Premier League and the money involved its fashionable to employ foreign coaches, especially in the top jobs. The premier league and Sky Sports have made players, British players in particular, very, very wealthy and they dont need to have the stress of a managers job. Look at the money Neville, Carragher and Henry are earning at Sky. Why swap that for grey hair and ageing in dog years? Jose Mourinho was the picture of health when he first arrived in this country, very handsome man (not in a gay way). 15 years later he looks half dead.

I applaud the likes of Giggs, Bellamy, Gerrard.etc for looking to go into management when they dont have to. Theyve all got TV work and it would be far easier for them to go down that route.
    Players from the PL era are probably wealthy enough to not have to work ever again once they stop playing. I always thought that managers would start coming from lower-league playing careers as the PL millionaires would retire to an island somewhere. It is impressive that football is such an important part of their lives that they simply can't give it up.

To me what got Coleman there (apart from Bale) was his passion about being Welsh - he is of course a Jack just like Hartson so did have a battle with Is bluebirds (one in particular ��).

During the years in the doldrums, I always thought Wales should be run more as a club side. It was difficult, though, when so many players (including Giggs) withdrew from training camps. Can you remember that tournament involving Malta, Tunisia and some other country? Wales had to call up Karl Ready ffs - there was no hint of togetherness.

Now, we get fewer players pulling out, largely due to the lack of friendlies, and using training camps instead. I hope that continues, but the FAW know they can make some decent money through friendlies and maybe Giggs is happy to have friendlies instead of training camps. If Wales go back down the friendlies route, I'm concerned that there will be less appetite for players travelling to places and risking injuries, and there goes the club spirit that Wales currently enjoys.

Bellamy is the natural heir to Gary Speed's legacy, and with Osian Roberts as No.2 there would have been minimal disruption.

To me what got Coleman there (apart from Bale) was his passion about being Welsh - he is of course a Jack just like Hartson so did have a battle with Is bluebirds (one in particular 😀).

This