+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Giggs on the brink of Wales appointment

Re: Giggs on the brink of Wales appointment

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    One thing that has occurred to me. Perhaps Bellamy wanted to appoint his own team - and that team would be minus Osian Roberts. Perhaps Giggs is happy to keep Osian Roberts? All speculation of course.
    Giggs is bring in Ole as his assistant

Osh is out on his ear

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's my opinion that this happened. It's not stated as fact. The players will make up their own minds too won't they.

I don't think the past will have anything to do with how he approaches a managerial role though, he's not going to take the job knowing the risks if he isn't going to go about it in a professional way, is He?

I
    If his international career had consisted of two distinctive phases then you may have had a point about Giggs looking to prolong his career, but he missed plenty of games with "hamstring injuries" well before he was an age when he would have to consider such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    One thing that has occurred to me. Perhaps Bellamy wanted to appoint his own team - and that team would be minus Osian Roberts. Perhaps Giggs is happy to keep Osian Roberts? All speculation of course.
    Whilst that could potentially true I'd say it's more likely that Bellamy would keep Roberts than Giggs given that he worked under Roberts when Speed was manager, knew how highly both Speed and Coleman thought of Roberts, would seek some kind of continuity and I'm sure would praise his work with the youngsters. I doubt Giggs knows who Roberts is.

This thread is bananas. The most decorated player in British football is not a perfectionist, even though he managed himself both mentally and physically to play and win trophies for over 20 years at the very top. In winning all those trophies he still does not have as much of a winning mentality as someone whos won a measly league cup, and only won the many, many trophies he did over a 20 year period because of the players he played with, even though he was the one common donominator in all of Fergies success and he won more than any of his team mates.

Speed and Coleman were both crap managers before they came to manage Wales.

Of the 3 names mentioned none of them have ever managed a professional team of note before (4 games for Man Utd doesn't count). No one knows what Giggs will do, and are basing their dislike on the fact he didn't turn up for friendlies. Wales have a chance of qualifying for the next Euros as it is 24 teams again meaning half of Europe will qualify. When it comes to World Cups, we could have the best manager on earth and we still wouldn't qualify.

Like Mike said, Keep Bellamy for us.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    This point is gonna be batted back and fiorth like a tennis ball, because of your failure to understand the point I’m making.
    I’m not doubting Giggs ability as a player and all the trophies he has won. He did it surrounded by top class players though, with little “winning mentality” when it came to his country.
    He was shit scared of Fergie, and didn’t have the balls to stand upto him.
    Anyone can have winning mentality at a top club, in there comfort zone.
    Bellamy on the other hand was a footballing nomad, who showed his desire to win everywhere he played, Be it Liverpool, Celtic, Man City or Norwich.
    Ok, he has no where near as many trophies as Giggs, but he is his own man, backs down to nobody, and loved playing for his country, and gave 100% for clubs and country.
    I dont think players who win 9 leagues in 11 years, and 13 in 20 do so by being in a "comfort zone".

Theres a difference between someone having a winning metality and actually winning things, and someone who gives 100% and is desperate to win but never wins anything. .

Comparing Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamys winning mentality is like comparing Phil Taylor to Mervyn King.

Bellamy was a football nomad because he had no respect for his peers and chased the pound note. He was either bombed out because the hassle of managing him outweighed what he produced on the pitch, or he forced a move for money.

He couldnt even respect the great Sir Bobby Robson and even took a golf club to a team mates legs ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Why do you think he would stop doing that if he had got the job? After all, it's hardly as if the team he'd be managing was playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday is it. I would hope that he would have still wanted to be involved in the other age groups if he had become manager.
    Trollope's a cracking coach, crap manager.

We know Osian is doing a great job at the moment, where that's his sole focus. Appoint him manager, we risk his attention being diverted. I'd prefer him staying there, arguably a more valuable job than managing the national side.

Giggs is not for me, a great player does not always make a good manager, besides being a horrible person ( I know that does not matter), I do not think he is the man for the job. There are a lot of good managers out there but the pre-historic FAW you know the organization who wheel in all the old fogies in wheelchairs when they need to carry a vote but want a Welshman for the job even if he is not as good as a non Welshman. What the FAW need is new blood who can take our national team forward, I am sorry to say that will never happen with this load of backward thinking imbeciles.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I dont think players who win 9 leagues in 11 years, and 13 in 20 do so by being in a "comfort zone".

Theres a difference between someone having a winning metality and actually winning things, and someone who gives 100% and is desperate to win but never wins anything. .

Comparing Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamys winning mentality is like comparing Phil Taylor to Mervyn King.

Bellamy was a football nomad because he had no respect for his peers and chased the pound note. He was either bombed out because the hassle of managing him outweighed what he produced on the pitch, or he forced a move for money.

He couldnt even respect the great Sir Bobby Robson and even took a golf club to a team mates legs ffs.
    If Giggs started at Norwich, he'd be chasing the money too. Giggs was at the biggest club in Europe during his time after all.

The average age of the FAW board is something like 65. Not great is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    The average age of the FAW board is something like 65. Not great is it?
    Suppose their wives would be too old for Giggs then. Thank god they don't want Rooney...

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    If Giggs started at Norwich, he'd be chasing the money too. Giggs was at the biggest club in Europe during his time after all.
    If youre auntie had bollocks she would be your uncle.

Giggs was winning things at Man U and Bellamy never played for anyone decent for a reason.

Giggs was at Man U because he was a winner from a young age, long before he broke into the first team.

How many of Giggs critics attend Wales Friendlies or even Wales games. 20 thousand missed the last one against Panama including Ramsey who Wenger pulled out because of a game at the weekend.Friendlies are to give fringe players a chance not for our top players who have extra games in European competitions. We have only had three World class players in my lifetime John Charles,Giggs and Gareth Bale.All missed Welsh games due to other Club commitments so give the guy a chance!

Giggs was winning things at Man U and Bellamy never played for anyone decent for a reason.

Giggs was at Man U because he was a winner from a young age, long before he broke into the first team.
    Youth level? Look how many came from that group.
    Senior level? Man Yoo best club in Europe for most of his career there.
    International level? Performances nowhere near as good as at Man Yoo - because he couldn't elevate players.

Bellamy got on at people due to wanting perfection. Giggs motivating people? Hmm.

I'm absolutely devastated that the choice is Giggs, i can only assume that the panel was dazzled by his status and glittering playing career.

I never really like Giggs in his Wales playing days, as a fan who was at every game to see him not turn up for Wales, but then play for Manchester United on the weekend was a constant betrayal. The decision sent the message that the games were not important and it spread through the squad, and then to the fan base, why should we pay our money when the star attraction cannot be bothered.

Giggs starts this job with a lot less credit with the fans than some former players will get. I also get the impression that Giggs wasnt a popular member of the squad that he played with for Wales. Gabbidon suggests on FOF, that he didn't particularly intergrate himself with the other players.

That being said you would imagine that he could inspire the next generation coming through, and the younger fan will have less of the bad memories associated with him than the middle aged, who carry the grudge. You would hope he is a capable manager because that reputation will not last long if things start badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    How many of Giggs critics attend Wales Friendlies or even Wales games. 20 thousand missed the last one against Panama including Ramsey who Wenger pulled out because of a game at the weekend.Friendlies are to give fringe players a chance not for our top players who have extra games in European competitions. We have only had three World class players in my lifetime John Charles,Giggs and Gareth Bale.All missed Welsh games due to other Club commitments so give the guy a chance!
    Giggs routinely missed games - set the example. After he started that others did too. I remember a tour, think it was USA where 17 international players all pulled out.

Giggs has refused to apply for lower league jobs - below him. Turned down Man Yoo u23 job. Was rejected by Swansea ( yes, that was fixed anyway but still spat the dummy and petulantly claimed he turned them down ).

At least Bellamy has looked to work his way up.

Surely it doesn't matter who the better or more successful player was?

This piece

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...spite-14154068

gives the definite impression that Bellamy came over really well at his interview and that the decision to appoint Giggs was based on his achievements as a player. I appreciate that it is hard for any young managerial wannabe to build a reputation for themselves when they have had very little chance to do so (I disregard those four matches Giggs took charge of in 13/14 at Man United because they prove nothing either way), but the members of the Class of 92 and the players Ferguson signed around that time (e.g. Paul Ince) have not enjoyed much managerial success between them when they have had a go at the job, so all that playing success did little to make them managerial successes. Off the top of my head, I can think of Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce who have made decent managerial careers from Man United sides managed by Alex Ferguson, but they were of an older generation to Giggs - he might turn out to be a good manager of Wales, but I must say that when I hear Bellamy and Giggs talk about the game, I know which one I would be more inclined to choose if I were hiring a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    You can't compare Bale and Giggs when it comes to missing Welsh games for their clubs.

This thread is bananas. The most decorated player in British football is not a perfectionist, even though he managed himself both mentally and physically to play and win trophies for over 20 years at the very top. In winning all those trophies he still does not have as much of a winning mentality as someone whos won a measly league cup, and only won the many, many trophies he did over a 20 year period because of the players he played with, even though he was the one common donominator in all of Fergies success and he won more than any of his team mates.
    It's a cracker isn't it.

If his international career had consisted of two distinctive phases then you may have had a point about Giggs looking to prolong his career, but he missed plenty of games with "hamstring injuries" well before he was an age when he would have to consider such things.
    Prolonged his United career :thumb:

Not rushing to Giggs' defence, but hamstring injuries aren't an age thing. It's more to do with explosive acceleration. Faster players tend to suffer, not older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Prolonged his United career :thumb:
    So you're saying that when he was missing games for us in his teens and early twenties, he was doing it to prolong his club career?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not rushing to Giggs' defence, but hamstring injuries aren't an age thing. It's more to do with explosive acceleration. Faster players tend to suffer, not older ones.
    True. It's just that most people query the magical way his injuries conveniently healed within days to play for Man Yoo.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not doubting that, but I put hamstring injuries in inverted commas because, invariably, they had healed in time for him to play for Man United three or four days after the Wales game he had cried off from.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    True. It's just that most people query the magical way his injuries conveniently healed within days to play for Man Yoo.
    I'm not disputing that, they weren't even suspect - it was even more blatant than that. But he was exactly the kind of player susceptible to hamstring issues.