+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Euro Exchange rate advice?

Euro Exchange rate advice?

Off to Tenerife in a couple of weeks, Need to exchange about £400 into Euros. Was thinking of buying them at Tescos, as I got a couple of weeks before I go is the exchange rate good today compared to say last week? Would you hold on or buy now? No idea what your average pound to euro rate has been? What would be a good average rate to buy at? Cheers

Re: Euro Exchange rate advice?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Off to Tenerife in a couple of weeks, Need to exchange about £400 into Euros. Was thinking of buying them at Tescos, as I got a couple of weeks before I go is the exchange rate good today compared to say last week? Would you hold on or buy now? No idea what your average pound to euro rate has been? What would be a good average rate to buy at? Cheers
    It's impossible to predict the market. What I always do though is pre-book online to collect at the airport. This always gives better deals than you get when you purchase in shops/banks and for sure much better than if you purchase on the day at the airport.

The Euro exchange rate has been pretty static for the last few months at around 1.12/1.13. You will not get that rate fo course . More likely 1.09/.08. However, look at it this way. Let's say the rate changes up or down by 2 cents. On the amount you are buying this will give you or cost you an extra 4/8 euros. Is that amount going to make a huge difference to your holiday? Cost of a couple of pints maybe? My advice is to forget about the rate and enjoy your holiday.

Cheers. Tesco it is then. Lads weekend away

Went into ramsdens blackwood, yesterday 1.106 best locally

Get a Revolut card and withdraw the cash out there, or use it as a normal debit/credit card.

You can store it with ££ and it'll just default to the countries currency that you're in, when you make a purchase (exchanging at the actual rate, rather than the marked down rate you get in bureau's. It's currently 1.132 to the £ at the moment.). Or if you want to exchange to Euro's and lock in a particular rate then you can do. When you're back in the UK, you can transfer any currency back to Sterling without any fees. Then either withdraw it at a cash machine over here; or use it to make purchases back in the UK.

I got one about 12 months ago and have used it in, UK, Ireland, America, Cyprus, Poland, Moldova, France and never had any issue when withdrawing cash; or using it to make payments.

https://www.revolut.com/?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Like Blue Dwr said nobody can predict exchange rates so if you want certainty buy some now. Halifax Clarity for me every time but can only get currency in resort. Try this Bob for current best buys....
    https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

Oh those far off days when 65p bought you a Euro.

Now if we had signed up for the Euro years ago the OP wouldn't
    be having this concern and you wouldn't be lining bankers pockets
    every time you needed Euros by paying them commission.

I'm sure Brexit will only make this more expensive as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    The Euro exchange rate has been pretty static for the last few months at around 1.12/1.13. You will not get that rate fo course . More likely 1.09/.08. However, look at it this way. Let's say the rate changes up or down by 2 cents. On the amount you are buying this will give you or cost you an extra 4/8 euros. Is that amount going to make a huge difference to your holiday? Cost of a couple of pints maybe? My advice is to forget about the rate and enjoy your holiday.
    Good advice

I just use my debit card when i get out there. Maybe take £50's worth of Euro's with me in case the cash machine at the foreign airport is not working but just withdraw cash as I need it out there and purchase things with my card.