+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilkington staying

Pilkington staying

It's the hair cut that's done it

"The thing with Anthony is, I have to take my hat off to him. We couldn’t give him away in the summer, even teams in next division down. He could have thrown his bat and ball away, but he’s knuckled down, I’ve never seen him train as hard, I’ve not had one problem, played in the Under-23s, talked to the kids when it would have been easier to sulk. He’s been an absolute credit. He came back into my thoughts a few weeks ago. I told him after the game against Sunderland that his reward was he was playing Tuesday and I thought he did alright against Mansfield. Anthony’s got quite a lucrative contract so there’s no club bashing my door down, they’re offering peanuts. I’d rather keep him, especially with Wardy going. Especially with his attitude. My missus says it’s because he’s had his hair cut - he looks like a footballer now. He looks hungry so I’m really pleased with him.”

Re: Pilkington staying

Warrdy going? I assume that should read injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Warrdy going? I assume that should read injured.
    Yeah. Ward crocked. So I thinking it's just interpretation.

Hes a good footballer, and obviously a model pro as well.

I understand we were trying to get him off the wage bill but seeing as we have to pay him anyway I dont know why he hasnt had a look in until recently. Hes a far better player than Feeney for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I understand we were trying to get him off the wage bill but seeing as we have to pay him anyway I dont know why he hasnt had a look in until recently. Hes a far better player than Feeney for starters.
    You don't play a player because you are trying to force him to move to the much lower contracts that are on offer. You are trying to make his situation as bad for him as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    You don't play a player because you are trying to force him to move to the much lower contracts that are on offer. You are trying to make his situation as bad for him as possible.
    Do you really think Pilkington is going to drop thousands a week, wether he plays or not, just to suit Warnock?!?

Either pay up the shortfall in his contract or if youre paying all his wages then make him available. The player holds all the cards these days, the club cant force anything.

Besides, I think Warnock has more about him than to make a players life hell just because he wants him off the wage bill.

Do you really think Pilkington is going to drop thousands a week, wether he plays or not, just to suit Warnock?!?

Either pay up the shortfall in his contract or if youre paying all his wages then make him available. The player holds all the cards these days, the club cant force anything.

Besides, I think Warnock has more about him than to make a players life hell just because he wants him off the wage bill.
    He's a human being, and presumably a well liked member of the squad. If Warnock was to treat him like dirt, he'd lose the respect of the other players as he's working hard.

I agree with you, he's a better option than Feeney and is technically probably our best player.

There is no other reason (As you say he is better than other players). It not to make the players life hell, it is to reiterate that he is not wanted here.

Players careers are short, and a spell not playing always means a hit on future earnings, the player may take a decision to lose thousands now, to gain it somewhere down the line (a six month spell of form could lead to a move).

At the moment its clear to the management that there are no offers on the table, his attitude has been solid so we will use him.

I remember watching him the day after halloween last year. He was blowing out of his arse and he went off on 50 odd minutes.

Sure he'd been out the night before

Hes in the same camp as Connolly excellent professional in and out of the side ,always seem fit even if they are not playing first team footy , unlike some we have seen or got .

Even if your not in the first team , or have difficult traveling distances to and from the club , its not difficult to get on the road in your spare time and get fit , in addition to your set training schedules , it shows dedication and a want to play .

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's a human being, and presumably a well liked member of the squad. If Warnock was to treat him like dirt, he'd lose the respect of the other players as he's working hard.

I agree with you, he's a better option than Feeney and is technically probably our best player.
    Warnock strikes me as the type of guy who wouldnt treat someone how he wouldnt like to be treated himself.

Yes by all means not pick him, make him play in the under 23's, and i have no doubt Warnock told him and his agent to his face that he wants him off the wagebill, but if Pilkington doesnt want to rip up his contract then I think Warnock has been around the block enough times to know theres not much he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyingManCityTickets View Post
    I remember watching him the day after halloween last year. He was blowing out of his arse and he went off on 50 odd minutes.

Sure he'd been out the night before
    perhaps Warnocks lying then

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    There is no other reason (As you say he is better than other players). It not to make the players life hell, it is to reiterate that he is not wanted here.

Players careers are short, and a spell not playing always means a hit on future earnings, the player may take a decision to lose thousands now, to gain it somewhere down the line (a six month spell of form could lead to a move).

At the moment its clear to the management that there are no offers on the table, his attitude has been solid so we will use him.
    Pilkington will be 31 when his lucrative contract runs out. No doubt when it runs out he will find another club.

Why would he want to cut a big contract short by 2 years? If he cuts it in half it will take until hes 33 to make the money he could have made by the time hes 31.

Or he becomes another Manga where he can't match the wages he was offered under OGS, and may end up staying on a reduced wage?

#Pilks4Warrdy

Good news he is being recognised by Warnock, even though perhaps his hand was forced with Ward's injury.

Good attitude from Pilkington, not a big time Charlie and pretty settled here with his family.
    Makes perfect sense.

I like Pilks but think he'll struggle to get a run of starts under Warnock, as he doesn't seem to fit into the system we usually play. He's not a striker like Zohore or Bogle, he's not a winger like NML, Hoilett or Kadeem and he's not really a midfielder. The only position I could see him play is in the middle of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1. Saying that, he's a good option off the bench as he can provide cover for several positions during a game.

That has kind of baffled me as well, he's a good player, and if we were really trying to get rid of him the best way would have been to get him in the shop window?
    Never mind. Just happy to read how hard he has tried...that's really refreshing to hear from a footballer these days.
    Speaks volumes about the team as a whole IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    I like Pilks but think he'll struggle to get a run of starts under Warnock, as he doesn't seem to fit into the system we usually play. He's not a striker like Zohore or Bogle, he's not a winger like NML, Hoilett or Kadeem and he's not really a midfielder. The only position I could see him play is in the middle of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1. Saying that, he's a good option off the bench as he can provide cover for several positions during a game.
    Behind Zohore in a 4411

Agree we should keep Pilks unless we get the right offer but why in the hell are we keeping Feeney?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Or he becomes another Manga where he can't match the wages he was offered under OGS, and may end up staying on a reduced wage?
    Maybe a possiblity in 2019 but I wouldnt expect any player to take a pay cut with 2 years left on their deal unless the club was on the verge of administration.

Good

I rate him more than Healey, Feeney and Harris

If we need something late on its got more chance coming from Pilkington

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Behind Zohore in a 4411
    Good shout but NW doesn't tend to play 4-4-1-1 much though, does he?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    That has kind of baffled me as well, he's a good player, and if we were really trying to get rid of him the best way would have been to get him in the shop window?
    Never mind. Just happy to read how hard he has tried...that's really refreshing to hear from a footballer these days.
    Speaks volumes about the team as a whole IMO.
    Yes I would think it would be best to put them in the shop window and not in the under 23's but like yourself its nice to read that someone who was told he has no future with the club has worked his way back into Warnocks plans.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Good

I rate him more than Healey, Feeney and Harris

If we need something late on its got more chance coming from Pilkington
    Agreed