+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kyle Edmund............................................ ..

Kyle Edmund............................................ ..

has always seemed to be in Andy Murray's shadow to me, but what a great effort by him earlier this morning to reach the last eight of the Australian Open.

Other good news from down under - England have just beaten Australia to to take a 3-0 lead in their match one day series with their hosts with Josh Buttler scoring a hundred and then taking a brilliant, but controversial, catch to dismiss Steve Smith.

Re: Kyle Edmund............................................ ..

After the depression of the Ashes most welcome got my one day ticket for this year's on day er in cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    has always seemed to be in Andy Murray's shadow to me, but what a great effort by him earlier this morning to reach the last eight of the Australian Open
    Even better effort this morning from Edmund after he beat world no. 3 Dimitrov 6-4 3-6 6-3 6-4 to reach the semis.

He cannot expect to go any further as Nadal awaits in the last four.
    Saying that, Djokovic went out yesterday in straight sets and the heat does some funny things to people (though Nadal maybe more accustomed to the extreme heat than Djok).

Tennis does need some young blood with Feds and Nadal no spring chickens and great to see a Brit emerging, especially just as it seems Murray's body seems to be telling him to pack it in.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    After the depression of the Ashes most welcome got my one day ticket for this year's on day er in cardiff
    Ashes defeat was disappointing but we will do them at home,but the boys are making up for it in the one dayers as the barmy army are singing out there were gonna win 5-4

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Even better effort this morning from Edmund after he beat world no. 3 Dimitrov 6-4 3-6 6-3 6-4 to reach the semis.

He cannot expect to go any further as Nadal awaits in the last four.
    Saying that, Djokovic went out yesterday in straight sets and the heat does some funny things to people (though Nadal maybe more accustomed to the extreme heat than Djok).

Tennis does need some young blood with Feds and Nadal no spring chickens and great to see a Brit emerging, especially just as it seems Murray's body seems to be telling him to pack it in.
    Marin Cilic awaits my apologies. Nadal retired hurt with leg injury (wear and tear taking its toll on the big boys).
    Big chance to go all the way for the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Marin Cilic awaits my apologies. Nadal retired hurt with leg injury (wear and tear taking its toll on the big boys).
    Big chance to go all the way for the lad.
    I think he could make the final, absolutely no chance against Federer then though.
    Still even if he goes out at the semis, an amazing performance from him.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    I think he could make the final, absolutely no chance against Federer then though.
    Still even if he goes out at the semis, an amazing performance from him.
    Absolutely right. From relative obscurity getting to a grand slam semi is quite astounding.
    Cilic is a grand slam winner so low expectation again but I would prefer to play than Nadal.

Federer is another level again though.
    Taking that year off was a master stroke from the great man and he is looking as strong as ever.

I haven't managed to see much of this tournament, not just because of the time difference but because my interest in tennis has waned recently, but I may well watch the final if Edmund makes it.

Well he didn't so I don't have to stay up!

Beaten in straight sets, I managed to get to watch the end of the defining second set.
    Cilic had two crucial net cords go his way in the tie break and the stuffing visibly knocked out of Edmund.

Decent effort from him though and looks like he has a bright future.