+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High excitement here in Minnesota....

High excitement here in Minnesota....

If you aren't already aware its NFL's Championship games today - ie semi-finals of Superbowl.

As I write the first game is in it's final quarter in which, Jacksonville Jaguars (underdogs) are 20-17 up on favourites New England's Patriots. Patriots of course have Tom Brady at quarterback and - playing at home - are likely to get their noses in front before it's all over.

But I headline the post with the excitement that's been building all week here in Minneapolis (and all across Minnesota) as the Vikings take the field at 11.40pm UK time (I think it's live on Sky) against Philadelphia Eagles in the other semi.

Superbowl itself, in 2 weeks time, will be held here in Minneapolis at Vikings' home US Bank Stadium; if they make it, it will be the first time in Superbowl history that a team will play Superbowl in their own stadium.

Anyone watching at the moment? Give your support to Minnesota Vikings in their game starting soon!

Re: High excitement here in Minnesota....

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    If you aren't already aware its NFL's Championship games today - ie semi-finals of Superbowl.

As I write the first game is in it's final quarter in which, Jacksonville Jaguars (underdogs) are 20-17 up on favourites New England's Patriots. Patriots of course have Tom Brady at quarterback and - playing at home - are likely to get their noses in front before it's all over.

But I headline the post with the excitement that's been building all week here in Minneapolis (and all across Minnesota) as the Vikings take the field at 11.40pm UK time (I think it's live on Sky) against Philadelphia Eagles in the other semi.

Superbowl itself, in 2 weeks time, will be held here in Minneapolis at Vikings' home US Bank Stadium; if they make it, it will be the first time in Superbowl history that a team will play Superbowl in their own stadium.

Anyone watching at the moment? Give your support to Minnesota Vikings in their game starting soon!
    Looks like Brady is going to pull the Pats through.

Good luck, a few weeks ago the Eagles would have been big favs, but they lost their QB, and their momentum.

No spoilers, I'm going to record it and watch as live in the morning.

Nice stadium for the final!

Thanks to JR and Grangetown, much appreciated. I'm by no means an officionado of NFL, just can't help but get behind my 'local' team! It will mean so much to everyone around here. Whoever makes the final, there's a full week of events / celebrations going on in the run-up to the big game.

I did a piece here on the new stadium a while back - cost 1.2 billion. I went to the very first game there in August, 2016 - Chelsea v AC Milan.

Fly Eagles, fly!

Just come in from the pub, settling down to watch it now, c'mon Vikings

Patriots in the Super Bowl. Great final touchdown.

I’ve been to New England recently so I’m happy if they win. Don’t mind if the Vikings do well also because of CB

Dilly, dilly!

Sorry, CB. I have to say, I wasn't expecting this.

Teams who play in domed stadiums about to go 0-13 when on the road in the NFC title game. Deary me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Sorry, CB. I have to say, I wasn't expecting this.
    Wow! What a miserable showing from the Vikes. Keenum and the defence have been outstanding through the whole season, can't imagine what went wrong; a solid start as well. It's all in the head when it comes to final tie games no matter what the sport and Vikings just didn't have it tonight.

Cancel next week's party arrangements.

Having said that, I'm grateful to all my colleagues on here for their support - just wish the win could be delivered to justify all the excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Teams who play in domed stadiums about to go 0-13 when on the road in the NFC title game. Deary me.
    I heard this one during the broadcast but it doesn't hold water. The Vikes played and won at Green Bay in sub-zero temperatures and on grass just a few weeks back and believe me we're well acclimatised to winter conditions living in Minnesota. More inclined to think that after last week's 'miracle in Minneapolis' they just weren't up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I heard this one during the broadcast but it doesn't hold water. The Vikes played and won at Green Bay in sub-zero temperatures and on grass just a few weeks back and believe me we're well acclimatised to winter conditions living in Minnesota. More inclined to think that after last week's 'miracle in Minneapolis' they just weren't up for it.
    The Vikings did not play well, but you have to give credit to the Eagles. They just dominated on both sides of the ball. An awesome display.

The Vikings did not play well, but you have to give credit to the Eagles. They just dominated on both sides of the ball. An awesome display.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, the Eagles played at the top of their game; it's just that Minnesota were at the bottom of theirs which is hugely disappointing. More surprising than anything, it seemed to me that Zimmer was for the first time without any alternative strategies. Big inquest now on what to do about QB; Keenum, Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater. I think as long as he's genuinely fit, he'll go back to where he began and give Bridgewater his chance.

Great comeback, again, by the Pats.
    I’ve struck lucky as I’m in Boston on SuperBowl Sunday.
    I’ve Got tickets for the Celtics at midday then park up in a bar and watch the SB with all the Pats fans.
    Not sure if I should stay local in Backbay or venture over to Fenway or Southy as that way I’ll be with all the locals and I have got an Irish surname so I should be ok.

commiserations from a Packers fan

This super bowl is akin to watching a Swansea v Bristol play off final, I absolutely hate both.

Looks like 6 super bowl rings for Tom can't see foles winning it for the eagles

I thought you'd be happy!

Yank sport = Wank sport.

Dreadful stuff. I know two of you posters live there
    and have " gone native " but really ?

Mind numbing tedium. Football , Basketball and Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Yank sport = Wank sport.

Dreadful stuff. I know two of you posters live there
    and have " gone native " but really ?

Mind numbing tedium. Football , Basketball and Baseball.
    Never mind, Minnesota are in MLS these days and pulling in 30K crowds. New Stadium for 2019, too.

Went along once and they weren't bad at all. And like everything else, every game is live on tv. They're pushing hard to sell season tix now.

I used to love American football

eric dickerson as RB and jim everett at QB for the rams

In my later school years american football was growing over here, we even had a school team

then something happened and i completely lost interest in it, not sure why

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I thought you'd be happy!
    I am! It was a strange experience though. Like watching City beat Villa. No nerves. No drama. It just got more and more straighforward.

International

you should have seen Shula's '72 miami dolhpins play.
    Won the supoerbowl with the only team ever to go a full season undefeated, a record they still hold. Larry zonka was the frist man to rush (carry a ball 1000 yarsd in a season, and (I think) the first man to carry over 100 yards in a superbowl.
    Then in the same era you had quarerbacks like Siezman and Marino, awsome to watch. The refridgertor playing for the bears, about 20 stone and 11 sec 100 yards.
    I watch it sometimes today and still think they never reach the heights those guys did. It was when I started watching it and it was a bit of a golden era for the sport with the Dolphins, the 49ers the Packers Reskins and Patriots all great teams, and huge rivals.