+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1970's football at its best

1970's football at its best

Quality goals and keeping; great atmosphere and a Hunter v Lee punch up.

For todays new generations this was what football was generally like before the flood of players from all round the globe and their thirst for money took priority.

Re: 1970's football at its best

Franny Lee was a pioneer in the art of diving

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Quality goals and keeping; great atmosphere and a Hunter v Lee punch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_oOEa6Iefc

For todays new generations this was what football was generally like before the flood of players from all round the globe and their thirst for money took priority.
    I was at that game. First football match I ever went to.

Loves this photo:---

s-l1000.jpg

Not so tough now, are you Billy bully

Loved watching that. Don't ever recall Charlie George playing for Derby though!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was at that game. First football match I ever went to.
    I was also at that game. I was working up north and I went with some Leeds fans. Can you remember the half time entertainment?

Generally people look back on halcyon days and think things were better back then.

It's noticeable how much the game has quickened since those days. Footballers at the top level are better athletes than they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    I was also at that game. I was working up north and I went with some Leeds fans. Can you remember the half time entertainment?
    No. I was only 10 and was standing on the what I think was called the Popular Bank (Derby end) I can remember some loud mouth lady in the crowd complaining about Toshack as they had recently played Liverpool. I also remember walking amongst Leeds fans on the way out. They were complaining about the penalty and one of them said something like "you wait 'til you see it on't telly tonight". I remember thinking "how does he know this game with be on MOTD?". Young and naive.

I remember thinking "how does he know this game with be on MOTD?". Young and naive.
    Probably because there were tv cameramen there; they only would have been there if it was being televised and in those days of course only one game was on MOD.

Or they could spy John Motson in his sheepskin coat in the gantry

No. I was only 10 and was standing on the what I think was called the Popular Bank (Derby end) I can remember some loud mouth lady in the crowd complaining about Toshack as they had recently played Liverpool. I also remember walking amongst Leeds fans on the way out. They were complaining about the penalty and one of them said something like "you wait 'til you see it on't telly tonight". I remember thinking "how does he know this game with be on MOTD?". Young and naive.
    There was a police dog display. Dogs jumping through flaming hoops, etc. I can remember someone saying that their pitch was bad enough without dogs crapping all over it.

I was at this game too!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I was at this game too!
    And me

My first ever live game aged seven was November 1971. Wolves 5 Arsenal 1. I cried as I supported Arsenal as a little boy. It snowed. Roger Kirkpatrick was the ref. Charlie George had a mare. Wolves were fabulous and scored five in twenty minutes in the second half.
    I have been to hundreds of games since then but none as dramatic as this.

Long before the sky millions meant retiring players had to find jobs after finishing playing. Francis Lee became a millionaire selling bog rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Generally people look back on halcyon days and think things were better back then.

It's noticeable how much the game has quickened since those days. Footballers at the top level are better athletes than they used to be.
    Not better (but certainly not worse). Atmospheres were certainly more memorable than they are today. Players didn’t really cross geographical boundaries (unless that was Home nations and ROI)

Fitness is not a fair comparison I don’t think but skill is and a significant number of the players (like for like) would walk into many premier league teams today with skill as the barometer.

British players feel like they were much better back then and are more memorable today (but there were so many more of them I guess and I also had a kids fervent enthusiasm for it as well)

I was 7. My first game was a year earlier when my Dad took me to Old Trafford where I saw George Best playing live for the first time (I only saw him once more when he was with Fulham at Ninian Park)

Bobby Charlton scored the only goal that day against Derby but George was my hero (and really still is if I’m honest)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    My first ever live game aged seven was November 1971. Wolves 5 Arsenal 1. I cried as I supported Arsenal as a little boy. It snowed. Roger Kirkpatrick was the ref. Charlie George had a mare. Wolves were fabulous and scored five in twenty minutes in the second half.
    I have been to hundreds of games since then but none as dramatic as this.
    Rodger Kirkpatrick, the ref. I have memories of being about 11 or 12 ( i.e. early 70s)and sitting on the wall at the front of the Bob Bank when a thunderbolt from either Gary Bell or Mel Sutton, knocked him out. This would have been down towards the Canton Stand.

Anyone on here remember this? Please tell me I haven't dreamt this up....

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Rodger Kirkpatrick, the ref. I have memories of being about 11 or 12 ( i.e. early 70s)and sitting on the wall at the front of the Bob Bank when a thunderbolt from either Gary Bell or Mel Sutton, knocked him out. This would have been down towards the Canton Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

He's the ref that used to have us pi$$ing ourselves laughing.

He could run faster backwards than he could forwards. Funny as f ck

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Loved watching that. Don't ever recall Charlie George playing for Derby though!
    Got his only England cap while playing there I believe, also had a ridiculous perm. His performance for them against Real Madrid in the European Cup was one for the ages by all accounts

Motson at the final whistle going on about let's hope the game will be remembered for the good football and not the punch up - tell me, how many of those old enough to remember this game think "that was the one that was won by a good goal by Roger Davies" and how many think "that was the Lee v Hunter punch up game"?

Speaking of John Motson, that video shows how his style changed down the years - if he commentated on that game today, there would be far more talk and a lot of hysterical shouting. I've always thought that the change in commentating style by Motson was a deliberate thing which happened almost overnight because I can remember watching Match of the Day one Sunday morning after recording it and there was a game between Chelsea and Man United on with a ranting,over the top commentary from Motson accompanying it, which was made worse by my hangover, and thinking "what's wrong with him?

I just looked it up and the game was played in 95/96, so I reckon Motson saw how the Premier League was developing and how it was being covered by Sky and took the decision to change his commentary style accordingly - anyway, I've never been a fan whichever version of John Motson I was listening to.

Having watched this, the one thing that sticks in my mind re. the original punch up between Lee & Hunter, is that a large proportion of the Leeds players on the field were there to protect Hunter. Only Charlie George seemed to want to stick up for Lee. The rest of the Derby team don't appear to want to defend him and are nowhere to be seen.....

Kevin keegan v billy bremmner is also a 70s highlight

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Franny Lee was a pioneer in the art of diving
    Rodney Marsh was the worst I'd seen in div 2