+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UPVC Window Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UPVC Window Help

I've got UPVC windows at least 25 years old, and I am now unable to open the small (opening outward) windows on the top, when the handle is in the open position, the window still acts locked. When they did work they used to fall fully open when opened slightly, or when the wind got up.

My question is do I repair or will the combination of age and cost to repair mean I will be better off completely replacing?

The window is 2235 x 1250 and I'm guessing at around 6 - £700 to replace and have fitted.

I'm avoiding contacting shops suppliers etc, as you know they will just want my details to 'send someone around to take a look'

Can someone advise on my quandary ?

Re: UPVC Window Help

I had new front door and windows put in 2 years ago. They are a special breed window salesmen.

I had the misfortune of needing new windows and a front door a couple of years ago.

All the best with it

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I had new front door and windows put in 2 years ago. They are a special breed window salesmen.

I had the misfortune of needing new windows and a front door a couple of years ago.

All the best with it
    Hence me asking on here, surely someone 'in the game' can offer some impartial advice ??

I used to fit and maintain them ( privately and for local councils )

25 years is a very good lifespan, you have doubled the norm ( in many cases ) as the double glazed units break down in time and mist up

so the question is, are all the other aspects of the window fine ? ? ? misting up ? ?

as the small opener will just have dropped, the hinges would have most properly gone and the lock isnt disengaging, you could open it by pushing the window UP ( easier from the outside ) and then it should open

then unscrew the hinges on the frame and remove the unit, unscrew the hinges from the window ( check the locking handle works fine ) and take them to a PVCu place, i always used to use Vellacine behind CCS / ASDA ( though both were not even built then, so i dont know if they are still any good )
    they will sell you the hinges and if the locking handle is duff change that

as maintenance goes on them, a annual spray of Dry PTFE spray works wonders ( though today they might have something better )

doesnt TonyTIT do PVCu stuff ?? ? he might be better to advise as i havent done them for 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I used to fit and maintain them ( privately and for local councils )

25 years is a very good lifespan, you have doubled the norm ( in many cases ) as the double glazed units break down in time and mist up

so the question is, are all the other aspects of the window fine ? ? ? misting up ? ?

as the small opener will just have dropped, the hinges would have most properly gone and the lock isnt disengaging, you could open it by pushing the window UP ( easier from the outside ) and then it should open

then unscrew the hinges on the frame and remove the unit, unscrew the hinges from the window ( check the locking handle works fine ) and take them to a PVCu place, i always used to use Vellacine behind CCS / ASDA ( though both were not even built then, so i dont know if they are still any good )
    they will sell you the hinges and if the locking handle is duff change that

as maintenance goes on them, a annual spray of Dry PTFE spray works wonders ( though today they might have something better )

doesnt TonyTIT do PVCu stuff ?? ? he might be better to advise as i havent done them for 15 years

All good advice , apart from the Vellacine bit (robbing barstewards these days), go to KINGS SOLUTIONS, great lads will look after you there.

PS:--- PM'd him but didn't want anyone to call (free, may I add )

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    All good advice , apart from the Vellacine bit (robbing barstewards these days), go to KINGS SOLUTIONS, great lads will look after you there.

Tony, as per my PM I have someone coming around already, and I was grateful of your offer. I just wanted to try and get an understanding on viable options before he came.

Thanks both.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Tony, as per my PM I have someone coming around already, and I was grateful of your offer. I just wanted to try and get an understanding on viable options before he came.

Thanks both.
    Tony done great work for me last year. He fitted my lovely front door (well Mrs M loves it so I guess that means I do as well).

Recommend him to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post

Thanks both.
    I'm not coming anywhere near you if you knock someone out over a window lock.

I'm not coming anywhere near you if you knock someone out over a window lock.
    Thanks again Tony.