+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibre Broadband

Fibre Broadband

Just upgraded, will I really notice a difference ?

Re: Fibre Broadband

Can any body please tell me what a good speed is meant to be in further to Peajays question ad well please. Hope you don't mind Peajay...

If you’re streaming telly then yes.
    Anything over 20 meg is required I’d say for streaming

If you're into gaming or have a young un in the house (like me who has a teenager permanently glued to online xbox) I'd say you will. If you (ahem) download films etc whilst others are online Id say yes. If you have a couple of family members all online the same time all streaming from iplayer etc Id say yes. The smart Tv works seamlessy on it too.

As for speed, Im not teccy enough to know the minimum requirements but I get wifi access upstairs through thick old walls at 25mbs and wired access at 75mbs and its perfect for our family needs. Whether thats overkill I dont know but its what i get on BT infinity and their new hub is brilliant for coverage all through the house. I would change it and downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    If you're into gaming or have a young un in the house (like me who has a teenager permanently glued to online xbox) I'd say you will. If you (ahem) download films etc whilst others are online Id say yes. If you have a couple of family members all online the same time all streaming from iplayer etc Id say yes. The smart Tv works seamlessy on it too.

As for speed, Im not teccy enough to know the minimum requirements but I get wifi access upstairs through thick old walls at 25mbs and wired access at 75mbs and its perfect for our family needs. Whether thats overkill I dont know but its what i get on BT infinity and their new hub is brilliant for coverage all through the house. I would change it and downgrade.
    Just what I wanted to hear, cheers. Got a sky Q installation tomorrow, and sounds it goes hand in hand with fibre.

30mb+ is essential if you download and upload large files, are gaming, constantly streaming etc.

I didnt. Only go it as they threw it in on my last deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Just what I wanted to hear, cheers. Got a sky Q installation tomorrow, and sounds it goes hand in hand with fibre.
    For Netflix you need 26 mega bits per second for the UHD content.

My EE is giving a speed of 18 download according to a line test thing my wife did just now. I am not in the know tech wise but I am a good complainer on the phone. Should I get on to them can they do anything about this. I stream,, browse my wife streams, browses but my son us on his pc, X box every spare minute on COD, FIFA etc. He says speed is shit really with occasional lag but being a teenager has got no solutions, suggestions for me. Any ideas please.Thanks.

Just upgraded, will I really notice a difference ?
    Yes, you should

I used to get 1.3 meg upgraded and now get 36 - 38 meg

Now we couldnt stream anything with 1.3, it would buffer like hell ( even at 720 ) now imagine the 2 children watching Youtube or the youngest doing coding on her Chromebook, i would often find normal surfing hard work

now its flying, 2 lots of NowTV streaming, 1 on youtube and it still flys

I'm currently getting 8.2 meg per second, so bound to see an improvement.

I'm currently getting 8.2 meg per second, so bound to see an improvement.
    Hell yes. Ive run an ethernet cable to my boys xbox so he's always got unhindered super fast connection and now never complains of lagging whatever anyone else does. I download films, the missus watches the soaps on catch up at the same time and its fine

means you can download shitloads of stuff very quickly.

if you want to watch a HD programme on catch up on Sky it's ready to watch in a few seconds

My BT gets maybe 60mb downloads. We can download catch up on SkyQ, watch live streaming football on the PC and have four laptops running with no delay at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    My EE is giving a speed of 18 download according to a line test thing my wife did just now. I am not in the know tech wise but I am a good complainer on the phone. Should I get on to them can they do anything about this. I stream,, browse my wife streams, browses but my son us on his pc, X box every spare minute on COD, FIFA etc. He says speed is shit really with occasional lag but being a teenager has got no solutions, suggestions for me. Any ideas please.Thanks.
    You need to do the test when everything else is not using the net. That will give you a more accurate result.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    You need to do the test when everything else is not using the net. That will give you a more accurate result.
    Not really, that just gives you a reading when there's little contention.

Doing the speed test when under load gives you a more accurate picture as to the speed in real usage conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Not really, that just gives you a reading when there's little contention.

Doing the speed test when under load gives you a more accurate picture as to the speed in real usage conditions.

If the poster phones up and complains that his speed is low, he will be asked to try it again with no other activity taking place. My speed sits at 60 mb/s when the house is empty, but plunges to about 28 mb/s when everyone is home and using it. I'd look a right wally if I phoned up to complain at the time that PS4, streaming, and all other stuff is taking place.

If the poster phones up and complains that his speed is low, he will be asked to try it again with no other activity taking place. My speed sits at 60 mb/s when the house is empty, but plunges to about 28 mb/s when everyone is home and using it. I'd look a right wally if I phoned up to complain at the time that PS4, streaming, and all other stuff is taking place.
    Thanks for the advice lads. If it is slow can they speed it up? Don't mean to sound daft. I will test it again with nothing running.

Thanks for the advice lads. If it is slow can they speed it up? Don't mean to sound daft. I will test it again with nothing running.
    Yes, they can. It may need an engineer visit. I had mine corrected a few months ago - I was barely getting 30 mb/s while paying for 76. Too slow for Netflix to stream in UHD.

Yes, they can. It may need an engineer visit. I had mine corrected a few months ago - I was barely getting 30 mb/s while paying for 76. Too slow for Netflix to stream in UHD.
    Thanks. Much appreciated. I will get on it.

That does somewhat depend on how its setup at the exchange, as sometimes they have no scope to improve it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    That does somewhat depend on how its setup at the exchange, as sometimes they have no scope to improve it
    True, but if they are selling him a speed of, say, upto 52 mb/s and they are only able to deliver 18 mb/s then he's being missold.

True, but if they are selling him a speed of, say, upto 52 mb/s and they are only able to deliver 18 mb/s then he's being missold.
    indeed

mine was sold as upto 52 meg, i get 36 - 38 meg, which is a fair % drop below the max, but I am happy with the speed, its a hell of alot better than 1.3 meg My mrs said we should contact them and see what they can do, i still havent got around to it, i might never get around to it

Get him one of these

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734?storeID=388&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:598893978|agid:24310582250|tid :aud-144400486596:pla-215576371490|crid:86867309210|nw:g|rnd:10187389121 717937920|dvc:m|adp:1o4|mt:|loc:9045365&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk2M4Zr1vj4XIrxdVcJH xtHq372OYqG8hy-s5hQvbOujnAO0deTNWc8aApMrEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Get him one of these

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734?storeID=388&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:598893978|agid:24310582250|tid :aud-144400486596:pla-215576371490|crid:86867309210|nw:g|rnd:10187389121 717937920|dvc:m|adp:1o4|mt:|loc:9045365&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk2M4Zr1vj4XIrxdVcJH xtHq372OYqG8hy-s5hQvbOujnAO0deTNWc8aApMrEALw_wcB
    Or maybe not....

Joe Google "tp link power line adapter"

Plug one into the box downstairs then one into the wall in his room and run an Ethernet cable to it...