+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fibre Broadband

Re: Fibre Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Joe Google "tp link power line adapter"

Plug one into the box downstairs then one into the wall in his room and run an Ethernet cable to it...
    Hes got one of them mate. Still moaning about lag. I gonna ring them tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Hes got one of them mate. Still moaning about lag. I gonna ring them tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.
    No problem fella.

Worked wonders for me when we had sky 37 meg fibre as it didn't travel too well upstairs over WiFi..android box was a no go but the ps4 was sort of ok.

BT 57 meg is tip top I've binned the tp links.
    Got a few phones/tablets/bt box streaming/smart tv/ ps4 on another tv and got no complaints.

International

I've got virgin fibre optic connection and it is super fast. someone told me it depends where you live too but I don't know if that is true. When it was fist installed one of their guys who I know came round to check it forme and it was over 100. I never have a problem with it normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Just what I wanted to hear, cheers. Got a sky Q installation tomorrow, and sounds it goes hand in hand with fibre.
    Good luck with the touch/voice remote control. We took the batteries out of ours as it kept changing channels by itself.

Takes a while to get used to where things are, I’m still a novice using the new menus but my lad seems to have sussed it now.

ISP's have a max speed that they put on your line, this does not mean that they cannot increase your speed if they wish to do so, the excuse they use is that it is the max speed on your line that will give you a stable connection, I had this problem with BT, and had to chase them up to increase the max line speed, but since changing to Plusnet, my contract says up to 70mbs I am getting 68mbs, if you are using a VPN then the speed will drop slightly, obviously it all depends on how far you are from the exchange and where your nearest green cabinet is positioned

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    ISP's have a max speed that they put on your line, this does not mean that they cannot increase your speed if they wish to do so, the excuse they use is that it is the max speed on your line that will give you a stable connection, I had this problem with BT, and had to chase them up to increase the max line speed, but since changing to Plusnet, my contract says up to 70mbs I am getting 68mbs, if you are using a VPN then the speed will drop slightly, obviously it all depends on how far you are from the exchange and where your nearest green cabinet is positioned
    I can see that green box from my house. About 300 meters. I will ring them when I get home I think. I didn't pay my bill once for months because they cut us off aftet they lost a payment that we made. We had to prove we made it although they wouldn't put the internet back on for me to email them proof. Then I got through to a good lad who said I will give you 3 months free internet by way of apology. He didn't leave a note on the system so a dd still went out
    They denied agreeing to it so they had to listen to the tapes which proved it and gave me a refund and a £100 pound credit to my account. They also failed to book a BT repair properly another time which ended with them supplying free mobile data in the interim and another account credit. Maybe I should switch. I want to start watching internet based tv but again don't know that much about it. Reading this it would be worthless with my current speeds.

ive got BT Infinity. Does the trick for all of us. Eldest daughter is always streaming Netflix, had to move the youngest daughters room around as the TV wasn’t picking up Netflix at the back of the house but now she can get it too so we are sometimes streaming 3 TVs at the same time if I’m on Netflix or Kodi.

Can’t say I notIced any difference in internet speed on my phone though compared to previous when I was with standard Sky Broadband.

BT did send me an email recently to say they’ve boosted me to 76 mps but I checked on my app last night when no one was streaming and was getting 54 max.

Can they only stream 76 to certain areas?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Last time I checked mine - it was around 70mb per second - more than fast enough for me
    its not just about that you might ,you might get that speed to the PC , its also if you get the same speed via your wi fi hub to your devices and television

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    ive got BT Infinity. Does the trick for all of us. Eldest daughter is always streaming Netflix, had to move the youngest daughters room around as the TV wasn’t picking up Netflix at the back of the house but now she can get it too so we are sometimes streaming 3 TVs at the same time if I’m on Netflix or Kodi.

Can’t say I notIced any difference in internet speed on my phone though compared to previous when I was with standard Sky Broadband.

BT did send me an email recently to say they’ve boosted me to 76 mps but I checked on my app last night when no one was streaming and was getting 54 max.

Can they only stream 76 to certain areas?
    yes and how far you are way form the switch box effects speed those closer get better service , i ha d the same back room problem upstairs bought a cracking netgear extender its better than my wifi hub

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I can see that green box from my house. About 300 meters. I will ring them when I get home I think. I didn't pay my bill once for months because they cut us off aftet they lost a payment that we made. We had to prove we made it although they wouldn't put the internet back on for me to email them proof. Then I got through to a good lad who said I will give you 3 months free internet by way of apology. He didn't leave a note on the system so a dd still went out
    They denied agreeing to it so they had to listen to the tapes which proved it and gave me a refund and a £100 pound credit to my account. They also failed to book a BT repair properly another time which ended with them supplying free mobile data in the interim and another account credit. Maybe I should switch. I want to start watching internet based tv but again don't know that much about it. Reading this it would be worthless with my current speeds.
    I can see my green box from my window too, or so I thought, in fact my fibre comes from a box over a mile away, you never really know.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    I can see my green box from my window too, or so I thought, in fact my fibre comes from a box over a mile away, you never really know.
    Sometimes the exchanges are full and then route from anywhere

when i upgraded mine, i was with Sky BB and wanted the Superfast ( whatever they call it ) and i couldnt, yet the guy opposite me upgraded his with sky the next day, how did that happen ? ? ?

I genuinely think you don’t need more the. 25-30 and that’s if There’s a few of you using it.
    I laugh when virgin promises 300, not even schools and hospitals have that, absolutely no need and Virgin are full of shite when it comes to their speeds

If anyone is thinking of going Fibre, We love BT, the free BT hotspots all over are great, I have one on the school pickup, so i can watch Now TV sat in my van while waiting for daughter to arrive, I have even found a hotspot near where she plays netball, so i can stream on that

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I genuinely think you don’t need more the. 25-30 and that’s if There’s a few of you using it.
    I laugh when virgin promises 300, not even schools and hospitals have that, absolutely no need and Virgin are full of shite when it comes to their speeds
    Slightly disagree. I had 37 with sky and upstairs I'd get a weak signal on phone and had to get Ethernet cable to use ps4/android but 57 works wonders with BT and everyone is comfortable on there. Agree high speeds are bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    yes and how far you are way form the switch box effects speed those closer get better service , i ha d the same back room problem upstairs bought a cracking netgear extender its better than my wifi hub

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    in not so sure ,virgin promise me over 100 and i get it ,see test below , however the wif fi hub not so great hence the extendesrs and these boys do the stuff not cheap thouigh

NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ms
    DOWNLOAD
    Mbps
    UPLOAD
    Mbps

good job i wasn't on the sherry when i wrote this ,and accidentally said ""i have the same back door problem ""lol

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    good job i wasn't on the sherry when i wrote this ,and accidentally said ""i have the same back door problem ""lol
    Hey, what you get up to in the privacy of your own home is your business mate. I won’t judge you

I get 38 mbps with my BT infinity. That’s the max my line can handle using a 50 year old phone line.

On BT mobile I get 100 mbps on 4g.

Hey, what you get up to in the privacy of your own home is your business mate. I won’t judge you
    Must be in the same gang as TIT who likes his head banging against the headboard