+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City's Goalies

Re: City's Goalies

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    The best goalkeeping display I have ever seen by a City 'keeper was by Bill Irwin at Halifax in January 1976. Halifax threw the proverbial kitchen sink at us and he was magnificent. A few weeks later Tom McAllister gave an even better performance for Rotherham at Ninian Park.

But Marshall for 2012/3, 13/4 and 14/5 for consistency and she volume and quality of saves.
    I was at that game, we drew 1-1 and Mike England scored for us, his only goal for the club I think.

I'd have to pick Marshall I think although Alexander would be up there if he didn't shit out against Christian roberts. I remember us playing QPR when they had Warner in goals every cross we put in he caught when we signed him I don't think the twat came off his line

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I'd have to pick Marshall I think although Alexander would be up there if he didn't shit out against Christian roberts. I remember us playing QPR when they had Warner in goals every cross we put in he caught when we signed him I don't think the twat came off his line
    Warner used to wind me up a bit n all. For a big Kent he never seemed to impose himself on proceedingd don't think he lived up to his billing for us. Still he was better than Bywater not thats anything to shout about

First Team

Ron Healey was my favourite but not altogether sure he would be the best.
    I guess for that we would need to look at Marshall or Heaton.

kasper schmicheal changed our season when he came down here
    tom heaton

Dilwyn John but only really because he was my Dads mate and he played in the same snooker team as him for The Electricity Club in Pontcanna

Our sole season in the Premier League would have been even more of an embarrassment if it hadn't been for David Marshall - that year he was head and shoulders above any other keeper I've seen play for City and I find it amusing that there are so many in this thread making out now that he was, somehow, overrated.

And he was Wlesh Amateur Snooker Champion I think, went on to play for Swansea and Merthyr.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Dilwyn John but only really because he was my Dads mate and he played in the same snooker team as him for The Electricity Club in Pontcanna

Spot on (as teh goalie said to the penalty taker!).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Our sole season in the Premier League would have been even more of an embarrassment if it hadn't been for David Marshall - that year he was head and shoulders above any other keeper I've seen play for City and I find it amusing that there are so many in this thread making out now that he was, somehow, overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I was at that game, we drew 1-1 and Mike England scored for us, his only goal for the club I think.
    Amazing how times have changed. I remember walking up the shop with my uncle to buy the football echo that evening and the two of us guessing who scored the City goal. Needless to say neither of us had even imagined it could have been Mike England. These days we know immediately who scored every goal as they score it and you can see every goal scored in the leagues that day by the evening. So different to 40 plus years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Amazing how times have changed. I remember walking up the shop with my uncle to buy the football echo that evening and the two of us guessing who scored the City goal. Needless to say neither of us had even imagined it could have been Mike England. These days we know immediately who scored every goal as they score it and you can see every goal scored in the leagues that day by the evening. So different to 40 plus years ago.
    They were better days

Showing my age but for me Graham Vearncombe was the best followed by Fred Davies but that could be down to my rose coloured glasses. In later years David Marshall was good and I like the young lad that wears the shirt now, I think he could develop into something special, given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I loved the Football Echo - happy memories

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    And he was Wlesh Amateur Snooker Champion I think, went on to play for Swansea and Merthyr.
    I think he was. Nice guy as well

I think he was. Nice guy as well
    Tidy bloke Dilwyn, he had a house building business, done some work for him in the eighties.

Tidy bloke Dilwyn, he had a house building business, done some work for him in the eighties.
    Gil Rees had a heating business as well. Remember him doing some work for my uncle who ran the Tudor pub on the Embankment (is it still there)

Same uncle was also the first landlord of the Ninian Park pub

Gil Rees had a heating business as well. Remember him doing some work for my uncle who ran the Tudor pub on the Embankment (is it still there)

Same uncle was also the first landlord of the Ninian Park pub
    Was your uncle Dave Thomas? Dave had the Tudor in the early to mid seventies. The pub is a block of flats now.

Was your uncle Dave Thomas? Dave had the Tudor in the early to mid seventies. The pub is a block of flats now.
    Len Price (huge Bluebird as well) - I think he took the Tudor over from Dave Thomas. He was there from around 77 until the Ninian opened

Len Price (huge Bluebird as well) - I think he took the Tudor over from Dave Thomas. He was there from around 77 until the Ninian opened
    He must have taken over the Tudor from Dai Bishop's old man, Bishop had the Tudor after Dave for just a short time, 1977 sounds about right

He must have taken over the Tudor from Dai Bishop's old man, Bishop had the Tudor after Dave for just a short time, 1977 sounds about right
    That’s right - remember it now you say it 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by lazbian View Post
    kasper schmicheal changed our season when he came down here
    Not really.

That was the season we made a horrible start in the league. We lost 2-0 at home to Charlton at the beginning of December and Jones' job was in jeopardy. That defeat was the end of what had been a terrible year, results-wise, and was the cattle prod that got things sorted. Schmeichel had already been at the club for 2 months and made 7 of his 14 appearances at this point of the season.