+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rummer Tavern

The Rummer Tavern

I like the Rummer Tavern, which describes itself as Cardiff’s oldest pub. At the moment it’s closed for refurbishment. Yesterday I walked past, and wasn’t impressed with the new external decor. Shiny new sign, Sky and BT Sports adverts. I hope they don’t destroy the old world charm in the process of updating.

Re: The Rummer Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    I like the Rummer Tavern, which describes itself as Cardiff’s oldest pub. At the moment it’s closed for refurbishment. Yesterday I walked past, and wasn’t impressed with the new external decor. Shiny new sign, Sky and BT Sports adverts. I hope they don’t destroy the old world charm in the process of updating.
    Is that the boozer opposite the castle? By Burger King?

That’s the one.

Was in there last year on a Saturday night and the place was empty.

Used to go in there after college. Feels like your sat in William Shakespeares house. Tidy boozer.

That’s a shame. I’m sure amongst all the fancy bars, gin bars, chain bars, novelty bars, micro brewery’s.etc in town there should still be room for some old fashioned boozers.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That’s a shame. I’m sure amongst all the fancy bars, gin bars, chain bars, novelty bars, micro brewery’s.etc in town there should still be room for some old fashioned boozers.
    We still got the Boro and the Vaults, proper pubs, can't see the landlady Debbie ever changing the Boro, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    We still got the Boro and the Vaults, proper pubs, can't see the landlady Debbie ever changing the Boro, fingers crossed.
    They are proper boozers in the old sense I agree but they haven’t got that wooden beamed charm of the Rummer Tavern. Sort of pub you’d find out in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They are proper boozers in the old sense I agree but they haven’t got that wooden beamed charm of the Rummer Tavern. Sort of pub you’d find out in the sticks.
    The Black Lion in Llandaff always makes me laugh, they've got all the oldie worldy black timber and white walls on the outside and on the inside it looks like a council estate boozer.

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Halinan’s in the good old days was it’s name. Putting tv’s in there is a big mistake.

Was in there 22 November 1963, the day JFK was assassinated, out celebrating my 18th, a very flat night.

A very memorable place for you then!

Cottage

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cottage

What about the Goat Major. I never drunk in there but it was an old school type boozer.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cottage
    Overpriced pi$$

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    What about the Goat Major. I never drunk in there but it was an old school type boozer.
    It was a proper old school pub years ago when it was the Bluebell, especially when Paul and Josie ran it in the early eighties. It's a bit posher now though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Overpriced pi$$
    A pub I've never really got, a bit bland.

It was a proper old school pub years ago when it was the Bluebell, especially when Paul and Josie ran it in the early eighties. It's a bit posher now though.
    I wouldn't say it was posh by any definition of the world, but it does lack much in the way of atmosphere that you would expect from a proper boozer. Not really sure why, as all of the elements of a decent pub are there, perhaps its the layout.

The Queens Vaults is a decent pub, and they serve a good pint (at the correct temperature)
    The City arms isn't too bad.

There are a few others and then a raft of places that want to serve you 250ml of 8% belgian beer for £5 out of a specimen jar or something.

Going back to the rummer, I quite liked it, but I was in there on the Friday before Christmas 2016, and there were maybe 10 people in there tops. For all of its character it cant surely survive like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wouldn't say it was posh by any definition of the world, but it does lack much in the way of atmosphere that you would expect from a proper boozer. Not really sure why, as all of the elements of a decent pub are there, perhaps its the layout.

The Queens Vaults is a decent pub, and they serve a good pint (at the correct temperature)
    The City arms isn't too bad.

There are a few others and then a raft of places that want to serve you 250ml of 8% belgian beer for £5 out of a specimen jar or something.

Going back to the rummer, I quite liked it, but I was in there on the Friday before Christmas 2016, and there were maybe 10 people in there tops. For all of its character it cant surely survive like that.
    Its got carpets now posh as feck. I know what you mean about atmosphere, the pub is soulless these days, 35 years ago the place was bouncing on a Saturday night. Paul the landlord back then was a great bloke, really funny and a good host, gutted when he got killed on new years day late eighties, the huge turnout for his funeral in St Johns church in town spoke volumes about how much he was liked by Cardiff's drinkers.

Agree with this, the Blue Bell was a good pub although the beer was better downstairs than upstairs. I never understood why they needed to change the name.

Going back to The Rummer Tavern there was a period in the late 70s early 80s when it was a fairly soulless place that didn’t sell draught beer but it was OK if you fancied a pint of All Bright or the like if you could stomach the stuff - perish the thought !!

I used to walk 5 mins out of town to the Vulcan. That was a good pub. There was another cracker if you went underneath the bridge by the Great Western and where the new office is now. Little White pub which hasn't been there for donkeys now. Maybe someone can remind me of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I used to walk 5 mins out of town to the Vulcan. That was a good pub. There was another cracker if you went underneath the bridge by the Great Western and where the new office is now. Little White pub which hasn't been there for donkeys now. Maybe someone can remind me of the name.
    Was it the Glastonbury?

Which bridge? Penarth road or the one by the York pub? The Glendower was not far from the York, is that the one you're thinking of?

Whas it the Glatonbury