+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rummer Tavern

Re: The Rummer Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Was it the Glastonbury?
    The Glastonbury was a great pub, all night drinking in there, the place never shut.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    The Glastonbury was a great pub, all night drinking in there, the place never shut.
    Some good darts players as well

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Some good darts players as well
    Chuggy and a few other city fans had a darts team in there years ago.

Which bridge? Penarth road or the one by the York pub? The Glendower was not far from the York, is that the one you're thinking of?
    Sorry I meant the pub as you go down the other side of the old Hotel opposite GW s. Anni's dad might even have owned that but don't quote me So straight down St Mary St. And not right under Penarth Rd bridge where Bogiez used yo be.
    The road is rill there but goes into a square now. As I remember there was a pub there. The streets not even there now. The old homeless cabins used to be there as well. Next bridge over would be top of Bute Street. Used to be a pub at the top of that as well. Left hand side looking towards the dicks. Another old school one.

Docks I mean. Not dicks. Phew.!

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    That rings a bell. The Glendower
    Used to go with my old man. Thanks mate.
    It was a good pub, a bloke called Dicky Mint was the landlord last time I was in there, bit of a character he was. It's long gone now sadly, bastard developers had the Glendower, the custom house, the crown and the Glastonbury flattened all around the same time, they call it progress, what a load of shite.

It was a good pub, a bloke called Dicky Mint was the landlord last time I was in there, bit of a character he was. It's long gone now sadly, bastard developers had the Glendower, the custom house, the crown and the Glastonbury flattened all around the same time, they call it progress, what a load of shite.
    Amen to that. I remember that little square of town being a lad starting to go to pubs with my Dad. Exciting times going in there. Chock a block with characters and no trouble as I remember. Rowdy but self policing. The Inn on the River for music as well.

Amen to that. I remember that little square of town being a lad starting to go to pubs with my Dad. Exciting times going in there. Chock a block with characters and no trouble as I remember. Rowdy but self policing. The Inn on the River for music as well.
    otherwise known as 'The pub on the mud'

otherwise known as 'The pub on the mud'
    Thats what my dad called it. Some good old rock n roll in re. Sassafras was it? Terry would kung too kick the tambourine. Take that Noel Gallagher

My Mrs went into labour after a little drink around this lovelly group of pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    My Mrs went into labour after a little drink around this lovelly group of pubs.
    We'll never see the like of pubs like those again sadly.

We'll never see the like of pubs like those again sadly.
    My mother went into labour in the old Blue Moon club. She always had my best interests at hart fair play. She's good like that.

RIP

My mother went into labour in the old Blue Moon club. She always had my best interests at hart fair play. She's good like that.
    What a place that was! ankle deep in piss in the mens bogs, I think the only beer on sale was bottles of newcastle brown and every drug imaginable on sale in there.

used to use the rummer on a regular weekend joint along with the philharmonic before getting wasted in montys till 2am back circa 1983-89 .

great times

talking of past venues is neros still going albit a new name ?

What a place that was! ankle deep in piss in the mens bogs, I think the only beer on sale was bottles of newcastle brown and every drug imaginable on sale in there.
    She airbrushes that bit out. A vibrant venue refreshingly mirroring local character and most importantly playing the up to date sounds is how she recalls it.

She airbrushes that bit out. A vibrant venue refreshingly mirroring local character and most importantly playing the up to date sounds is how she recalls it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    used to use the rummer on a regular weekend joint along with the philharmonic before getting wasted in montys till 2am back circa 1983-89 .

great times

talking of past venues is neros still going albit a new name ?
    Neros was Titos in my day moz, and around the back in the lane was the cavern club which was full of mental cases, the old bill were called there every Friday and Saturday night.

I used to walk 5 mins out of town to the Vulcan. That was a good pub. There was another cracker if you went underneath the bridge by the Great Western and where the new office is now. Little White pub which hasn't been there for donkeys now. Maybe someone can remind me of the name.
    I don’t know the Vulcan in its original location, but it’s (eventually) reappearing at St Fagan’s:

https://museum.wales/stfagans/buildings/the_vulcan_pub/

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    I don’t know the Vulcan in its original location, but it’s (eventually) reappearing at St Fagan’s:

https://museum.wales/stfagans/buildings/the_vulcan_pub/
    I heard of this. Thanks for posting. Was a good pub that. I cant remember his name but a later landlord used to keep The Zoo in Barty. The Vulcan used to be just back down the road from Cardiff Prison as you walk out of town. Past the statue of Jim Driscoll as it is now past the CIA on the left and under the bridge.. Opposite where the university (?) library is. Big block of student flats has replaced it I think.

I came to Cardiff in 1987 so I remember the Vulcan but missed the Glendower and the other pubs in that area.
    I must admit I go in the City Arms, Tiny Rebel, Hopbunker or smallBar in preference to the Runner, Cottage, Borough or Goat Major

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I came to Cardiff in 1987 so I remember the Vulcan but missed the Glendower and the other pubs in that area.
    I must admit I go in the City Arms, Tiny Rebel, Hopbunker or smallBar in preference to the Runner, Cottage, Borough or Goat Major
    Well apart from the Rummer they are all Brains pubs, and Dark aside, Brains beer is shite.

Well apart from the Rummer they are all Brains pubs, and Dark aside, Brains beer is shite.
    Good point, I try to avoid Brains pubs

The Boro is not Brains it's a free house.

The Boro is not Brains it's a free house.
    It's not free, it's cheap, but it's not free