+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump on Brexit

Trump on Brexit

“Would it be the way I negotiate? No, I wouldn’t negotiate it the way it’s [being] negotiated… I would have had a different attitude.

I would have said that the European Union is not cracked up to what it’s supposed to be. I would have taken a tougher stand in getting out”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-tougher.html

Re: Trump on Brexit

I won’t click on the link as I’ll be ****ed giving the Mail any cash.

Trump and the Mail. Bellend is interviewed for pile of shite rag using simplistic language over complex issues he has no clue about in order to appeal to like minded cretins?

That’s it I’d say in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post

Trump and the Mail. Bellend is interviewed for pile of shite rag using simplistic language over complex issues he has no clue about in order to appeal to like minded cretins?

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/...gher-attitude/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-talks-with-eu

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-u...-idUSKBN1FH08X

https://www.politico.eu/article/dona...and-on-brexit/

Given that it's Donald Trump saying all of that then I'd suggest that Brexit is a bad idea.

He wants a special trade relationship with the UK. Does that include making the UK into a tax haven, reducing workers' rights, lower wages at the bottom end, reductions in environmental care and animal welfare, turning the NHS into an insurance only system for his rich friends, basically turning the UK into a mini-America? God help us if that happens. I'll be out of here if it does.

Blog Entries

Not a fan then?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Given that it's Donald Trump saying all of that then I'd suggest that Brexit is a bad idea.

He wants a special trade relationship with the UK. Does that include making the UK into a tax haven, reducing workers' rights, lower wages at the bottom end, reductions in environmental care and animal welfare, turning the NHS into an insurance only system for his rich friends, basically turning the UK into a mini-America? God help us if that happens. I'll be out of here if it does.
    Aren't you getting a bit mixed up with some of the globalist strategies?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Whilst I won’t say I’m out of here I agree with what you say.
    The orange faced one has no idea about Brexit and the EU, merely what his ex organ grinder Bannon told him.
    He should mind his own business the colossal prick.

Whilst I won’t say I’m out of here I agree with what you say.
    The orange faced one has no idea about Brexit and the EU, merely what his ex organ grinder Bannon told him.
    He should mind his own business the colossal prick.
    Colossal prick maybe..............small hands though!

Isn't he actually saying what a lot of brexiteers think ?

We're doing a soft shoe shuffle, and perhaps we need to be a bit tougher ??

We're isolated and vulnerable, Trumpet will rape us, a fragmented weak Europe suits him....As it does Putin BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

We can act as tough as we want, but at the end of the day were holding a shit hand.

As Ninianclark says what a pain in the arse.
    David Cameron’s reputation will forever be known as the shit house Prime Minister.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

This is like people saying 'we should have taken it to man city', sometimes you gotta play the shitty hand you are dealt.

I know brexiteers will never buy it but we were always going to be on the back foot in the negotiations, this government went in with the billy big bollocks rhetoric and they have been swiftly put into the position they were always going to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Is it a shit hand ? - they (the EU) sell more to us than we sell to them, or will the German car manufacturers be happy with their Govt when due to tariffs the EU impose on us - we then reciprocate and the millions cars per year we buy from them are all of a sudden 10% (or more) higher. The same goes for the French.

As for the US and the UK - that is all still to be negotiated isnt it - Trump may well be gone before any of that happens - nowt as strange as politics, it's still all a big Pain in the ass though.
    It is a smaller percentage of their exports though, they will therefore be more resilient to a bad deal or no deal.

They are also left in roughly the same place in terms of legislation and trade agreements (two things that take years and years to put together). We have a blank canvas, long term this could be a good thing but short term we are struggling.

Is it a shit hand ? - they (the EU) sell more to us than we sell to them, or will the German car manufacturers be happy with their Govt when due to tariffs the EU impose on us - we then reciprocate and the millions cars per year we buy from them are all of a sudden 10% (or more) higher. The same goes for the French.

As for the US and the UK - that is all still to be negotiated isnt it - Trump may well be gone before any of that happens - nowt as strange as politics, it's still all a big Pain in the ass though.
    Surely if things are 10% higher, then the people who are buying more (which you say is the UK) will be the ones worse off?

Worth a watch, as it's a snapshot of current global economic thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Surely if things are 10% higher, then the people who are buying more (which you say is the UK) will be the ones worse off?
    The more I think about it, the less likely a deal seems

If we get a free trade deal with the U.S. for example, then surely the E.U. aren't going to let us sell on American goods tariff free into Europe.

What if those goods comply with EU standards and have already been approved by the EU.

EG - I dont know - lets say American lawn mowers - they already sell into the EU and UK - at a price of £100 or 120 euros (plus 10% tariff). If we have an arrangement with the US - we buy their lawn mowers - and they buy out hedge trimmers etc - with no tariffs either way.

If that was the case and we had a free trade agreement with the EU - we could in theory sell on those lawn mowers - and keep the 10%. I think that is why people used to argue that trade deals can take a long time.

However as long as you have something your trading partner wants and vice versa - then it is very easy to do it bit by bit. There are only 2 parties involved - where as with the EU area - you would have had 28 countries, all with vested interests - having their say and delaying every last little detail.

If the EU is all about creating one nation superstate, with one currency, no borders - and one sovereign law making body - then they should be able to carry on doing this, whilst at the same time trading with other countries or trading blocks - in my opinion anyway.
    The point I was trying to make is that, in the above scenario, we would be able to undercut every other European seller of American lawnmowers by 10%. I Can't see the EU going for that.

Neither can I, and I get your point, which is why trade will probably be on sector by sector, and there will be restrictions on only goods made in the UK etc - rather than being resold etc
    That could be what we end up with. Going to be a pain for all concerned and probably take forever to sort out. I have to wonder about the Irish border as well. I think a career importing lawnmowers into Northern Ireland and selling them in the south beckons

Back of the net Ninian Clark.

That's what his Trumpness is trying to say in his limited way .

I, and most of my friends, buy three or four new German cars a year so this thread is particularly relevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I, and most of my friends, buy three or four new German cars a year so this thread is particularly relevant to me.
    I thought you would have gone with something Russian, a Lada perhaps? I'm sure they would give you a good discount

Eric - just watched the EU negotiator and a debate on the various possibilities - Im quickly getting to the point - where we should just walk away (perhaps) pay our contributions to the date when it ends - and that is it. No 50 billion pounds etc - just end it, and see if they want to play after we end the talks tomorrow.

I'd be very interested to see what happens next if we walk away, not pay and go to WTO instead.
    Your main argument that we are not in the shit is based upon the fact that Mercedes and BMW making turkeys will not vote for Christmas and then propose an option which according to government analysis results in an 8% fall in economic growth over the next 15 years. That'll show them we mean business!

Eric - just watched the EU negotiator and a debate on the various possibilities - Im quickly getting to the point - where we should just walk away (perhaps) pay our contributions to the date when it ends - and that is it. No 50 billion pounds etc - just end it, and see if they want to play after we end the talks tomorrow.

I'd be very interested to see what happens next if we walk away, not pay and go to WTO instead.
    I guess British people will buy fewer brand new German cars.

But as the majority of our food comes either from or via the EU, we will see our household bills inevitably go up.

Will British or German families feel the pinch first?

I dont know Lardy - both will at various stages. If the Germans can find a new market that wants a million of their cars (at the same price) per year - then they are laughing. They are laughing anyway - a large manufacturing sector that uses a weakened currency with a ready supply of cheap east european labour - they are having their cake and eating it - and they dont have to do the washing up...

And if we can find access to cheaper clothes , food etc - then we'll be ok to. People seem to forget - we wont be banned for the buying or selling of goods into the EU , it's just that the EU may impose a 10% tariff, and we can do the same back - but seeing as we buy more than we sell to them - the UK treasury will be quids in - the UK Govt can then decide where / what to spend that money on.

The figures for Food that we consume, 54% UK produced, 24% EU countries, Africa, Australia, US, Canada etc all about 5% each.

It's a big hassle we could do without - we've left, they can continue on their journey to a 1 nation state, 1 currency, 1 foreign policy, no borders etc - as that's what they want , we've decided to get off the train that's all.
    The German economy isn't reliant on selling us cars. However, we are very reliant on eating food. Finding it cheaper somewhere else is half the battle (though I don't think food works like that; can we ask Canada to sell us their oranges?). We also have to find a way of getting it to our shores.

Your food figures are from 2014, I think. 2016 figures below, a little less than half of British food is from the UK and 30% from the EU. The rest of the world stuff is (from what I've read before) in the main divvied up in ports in Netherlands and the like and then sent on to us. We import about 10 times as many fruits and veg as we export. Even if there are no extra tariffs/customs charges on this (hard to believe) then there's the logistics of the supply chain. Those ports are designed to cope with it all. It's not as simple as getting the cargo ships to drop the rest off at Southampton on the way back.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-uk-supply

Still, wonderful news that WTO tariffs mean we'll be quids in. I can't understand why most countries on WTO are developing, they should be the rich ones, right?

Even if we can find a way to do all this cheaper, and I'm open to the idea that it's possible, the same question that's been in my head since before the referendum is still there. Can the current people in charge, or the opposition, do it? I've seen nothing so far to suggest that they can make it work.

What a big gamble we're taking. But it's only food.