+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tactics

Tactics

If, and that’s a big if, we get promoted we should thank Warnock for his services and move on.

Man to man against the best team in the country, one of the best in Europe., was just ridiculous.

Their movement was so good we were never going to live with them with that tactic.

Only they were fearful of getting more injured than just Sane they could have hit us fir some six or more.

Re: Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If, and that’s a big if, we get promoted we should thank Warnock for his services and move on.

Man to man against the best team in the country, one of the best in Europe., was just ridiculous.

Their movement was so good we were never going to live with them with that tactic.
    I asked this question a few months ago, when it was thought that Warnock might only be with us this season. Anyone taking over from Warnock is going to have a big job in changing our style of play that, doing so in a promotion season would be suicidal and could have a knock-on effect for a while. I remember being told that would be a nice dilemma to have!!!

I know I'm copping some flak in another thread, but I felt that looking at our first half performance that we are nowhere near being a Premier League team. That's taking into account the fact that Man City would create great chances, have most of the possession and run us ragged. We whacked away everything from around our box and the ball kept coming back. We never tried to calm things down in our own half, everything had to be hit long. The same shit that has been the cause of our bad run of form in the league was the same shit we served up in the first half. Some will say it's fine to do that against Man City, but we've been doing exactly the same against QPR, Preston, Bolton, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday etc. It's a tactic that will cost us promotion.

Only they were fearful of getting more injured than just Sane they could have hit us fir some six or more.
    atleast we learnt this lesson early...I hope..

I asked this question a few months ago, when it was thought that Warnock might only be with us this season. Anyone taking over from Warnock is going to have a big job in changing our style of play that, doing so in a promotion season would be suicidal and could have a knock-on effect for a while. I remember being told that would be a nice dilemma to have!!!

I know I'm copping some flak in another thread, but I felt that looking at our first half performance that we are nowhere near being a Premier League team. That's taking into account the fact that Man City would create great chances, have most of the possession and run us ragged. We whacked away everything from around our box and the ball kept coming back. We never tried to calm things down in our own half, everything had to be hit long. The same shit that has been the cause of our bad run of form in the league was the same shit we served up in the first half. Some will say it's fine to do that against Man City, but we've been doing exactly the same against QPR, Preston, Bolton, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday etc. It's a tactic that will cost us promotion.

so true iv been saying the same as u great post fella

Watching Kyle Walker attempting to join an attack from deep was a sight to behold. He was like an Olympic sprinter.

I don't think the problem lies in the tactic of getting the ball forward quickly. The problem lies in the inability of our defenders and goalie to also play the ball to one of our players, as well as just getting it forward.

I also really disagree that Warnock is a problem. He's united our club, got us to 3rd in the league on a far lower budget than any other club, and has given us a chance of a play-off place that seemed unlikely earlier before the season kicked off.

I struggle to see what some fans expect to happen in reality when we're picking up players on frees or who are trying to resurrect careers. I think the bloke is a genius and losing to Man City with a few dodgy challenges doesn't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I don't think the problem lies in the tactic of getting the ball forward quickly. The problem lies in the inability of our defenders and goalie to also play the ball to one of our players, as well as just getting it forward.

I also really disagree that Warnock is a problem. He's united our club, got us to 3rd in the league on a far lower budget than any other club, and has given us a chance of a play-off place that seemed unlikely earlier before the season kicked off.

I struggle to see what some fans expect to happen in reality when we're picking up players on frees or who are trying to resurrect careers. I think the bloke is a genius and losing to Man City with a few dodgy challenges doesn't change that.
    Can't really knock warlock he's done a great job so far but he must've been pissed when he came up with those tactics Bennett was in right midfield when man city was in our left hand corner. Patterson should be playing in defence maybe on the right you could get away with but not in midfield or just in front

Firstly, Man City are arguably the best club side on this planet at the moment, and have in de bruyne, arguably the most in form player in the world, add to that, the rest of the world level operators. Even so, it's shameful that during the whole game, we didn't put a move together that consisted of more than three passes, and you could count on one hand where we put three passes together. That is shocking, and the kind of stats that would serve a non league outfit. Your thoughts on Warnock, are pretty much old hat. He isn't and never will be a top level manager, after all of his success at this level, not one premier league club has taken him on, now i'm not sure any other manager with that level of success over a sustained period would still find himself at the same level. I'm enjoying this season, but like I said earlier in the season, the football is crude and not substainable to progress. A mix between direct and a bit of movement and passing is an option, but not the way we play, or indeed the way Warnock has always played.

I agree that tactically there's nothing wrong in getting the ball forward and I think you're spot on about our defenders and keeper not mixing things up and playing it short to our own players from time to time. My feeling, lately, is that our defence will hack it long at every opportunity, whether they're in control of the ball or not. All too often it presents possession back to the opposition. Another concern is our need to keep the ball in the air in the opposition half, instead of keeping the ball on the deck, it's chipped in the air for 3-4 flick ons hoping to create a chance. That is coached into them. We can get the ball down and play football, and when we do, we're usually effective with it.

I also agree that Warnock isn't the problem, but there's going to be one when he leaves.

How many midfield players make themselves available? they don't, and they're told not too, you've got to be a pretty special player if you can hit thirty or forty yard passes into feet of a lone striker or wide player, that's why the tactic is hit the channels and support. Warnock has done a great job on limited resources, but his brand of football isn't sustainable, and that has been shown by his failure when he goes up a level. We didn't create a move worth talking about today, we're not a non-league outfit, we should have been good enough to have at least created a passage of play that included three or four meaningful passes, no matter who the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Can't really knock warlock he's done a great job so far but he must've been pissed when he came up with those tactics Bennett was in right midfield when man city was in our left hand corner. Patterson should be playing in defence maybe on the right you could get away with but not in midfield or just in front
    I fail to see any way in which we could have won that game today with the players we have at our disposal. Warnock has earned the right to try things his way. All our players were dragged all over the place in the first half and Warnock changed it in the second. That just led to the mind-numbing playing the ball around the back from Man City, which is what would have happened in the first half if we'd done that.

Warnock clearly stated before the match that he wanted the game to be entertaining and he achieved that in the first half by letting the players have a taste of matching themselves against the Man City players.

Had NM-L had more ability to make the correct pass after his break then we should have scored. Had Patterson been able to connect with Bennett's cross then we could have scored. They are all 'what-ifs' but NW will have known we weren't going to win today and instead wanted to try and convince some of a record crowd that it was worth coming to future games. He failed, but it wasn't for lack of ambition.

The second half was about making sure the game didn't become embarrassing. From my viewpoint I'm happy that the players did what they could and I felt that any loss by less than 3 goals would be a decent result.

I'm less happy that Zohore and NM-L still haven't found the mojos that they lost when they were injured. I thought this might be the game for them to really put everything in and believe again but it still didn't quite happen for them. We are dependent on them getting back to form quickly if we hope to be anywhere near the play-offs come May. Wildschut may be part of the answer for NM-L but we need someone capable of putting more pressure on Zohore's place and a GOOD striker is essential in the next few days I think.

think i,ve mentioned once or twice in the past that pep basically adopts futsal tactics in the 11 a side game . from his days at barca he's always taken a big interest in the 5 a side game as can be seen on the link . management of space and rotation of players where players with technical intensity can play anywhere . don't think we can blame warnock or the team today just beaten by arguably the best team in europe right now

http://fbbarcelona.blogspot.co.uk/20...by-futsal.html

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I also agree that Warnock isn't the problem, but there's going to be one when he leaves.
    I agree with this.

I fail to see any way in which we could have won that game today with the players we have at our disposal. Warnock has earned the right to try things his way. All our players were dragged all over the place in the first half and Warnock changed it in the second. That just led to the mind-numbing playing the ball around the back from Man City, which is what would have happened in the first half if we'd done that.

Warnock clearly stated before the match that he wanted the game to be entertaining and he achieved that in the first half by letting the players have a taste of matching themselves against the Man City players.

Had NM-L had more ability to make the correct pass after his break then we should have scored. Had Patterson been able to connect with Bennett's cross then we could have scored. They are all 'what-ifs' but NW will have known we weren't going to win today and instead wanted to try and convince some of a record crowd that it was worth coming to future games. He failed, but it wasn't for lack of ambition.

The second half was about making sure the game didn't become embarrassing. From my viewpoint I'm happy that the players did what they could and I felt that any loss by less than 3 goals would be a decent result.

I'm less happy that Zohore and NM-L still haven't found the mojos that they lost when they were injured. I thought this might be the game for them to really put everything in and believe again but it still didn't quite happen for them. We are dependent on them getting back to form quickly if we hope to be anywhere near the play-offs come May. Wildschut may be part of the answer for NM-L but we need someone capable of putting more pressure on Zohore's place and a GOOD striker is essential in the next few days I think.
    Good synopsis and too right regarding a striker, otherwise we can kiss playoffs goodbye.

Not getting too hung up about today, MC are one fantastic outfit and had much more in their locker if they needed it.
    Gutted regarding Bennett now facing a ban in in area we could not afford.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    think i,ve mentioned once or twice in the past that pep basically adopts futsal tactics in the 11 a side game . from his days at barca he's always taken a big interest in the 5 a side game as can be seen on the link . management of space and rotation of players where players with technical intensity can play anywhere . don't think we can blame warnock or the team today just beaten by arguably the best team in europe right now

http://fbbarcelona.blogspot.co.uk/20...by-futsal.html
    Sorry Mozzer but I can't see the link between Futsal and what we saw today. Of course players need to be comfortable on the ball in tight situations like most Spanish players but it was game understanding on a huge pitch which was our undoing today, and has been Citeh's strength all season.

I have seen the joy England DNA have had through 1v1 and Futsal but they have also been heavily reliant on Chelsea Youth players for this which generally consist of big powerful black lads who could compete with Usain Bolt over 100 metres.

Things like Futsal are just a small aspect of a big picture in Spain and their game understanding and tactical awareness is off the scale compared to ours.