+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paterson v. Grujic

Re: Paterson v. Grujic

I just love the way we all see the same game in different ways and love and hate
    players so passionately , heroes for some and villains for others.

At the end of the day add up how much the respective teams cost to assemble.

That was the only real factor. Spoilt brats versus journeymem pros. Sadly there
    could only really be one winner in Football 2018.

Grujic did some nice things. May he be a more dynamic Whitts in a few games time?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I thought Grujic was the only one comfortable in what little posession we had yesterday
    Funny how people see the game so differently, isn't it? Grujic gave the ball away almost every time. He was really poor imo

I'm not too bothered though, that was as good a team as we'll ever play. I'm just hoping Grujic settles and has a big impact for us.

Some proper polarized opinions in this thread

I thought Grujic was poor, totally off the pace. Two games is too soon to judge though

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Patterson plays with heart and determination. He was my man of the match and refused to take a backward step.He may not be a world class player but at our level is a very effect operator.Its a shame to see fans knock him after giving a whole hearted effort like he gave today.
    As for Grujic lets see how he settles in too soon to judge just yet.
    Not many fans knocking him in and around , if we had the same determination from all players as he shows in games it would be a delight , he's a good player at this level, and needs to find a berth where he matures into it ,currently he's playing everywhere ,if you didn't know you'd think he was a seasoned City player ,reminds me of a larger version of super kev .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    ...reminds me of a larger version of super kev .
    my thoughts too, so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not many fans knocking him in and around , if we had the same determination from all players as he shows in games it would be a delight , he's a good player at this level, and needs to find a berth where he matures into it ,currently he's playing everywhere ,if you didn't know you'd think he was a seasoned City player ,reminds me of a larger version of super kev .
    I think he's going to end this season as an attacking mid and the focus of our punts downfield, with the intention of playing Zohore into space if Ken can start to anticipate the knockdowns properly. I recall NW saying he wasn't very good as a defender...

If he can learn a little more of the art of midfield play then he could be a really effective player in that role. His eye for goal, ability to tackle and determination will be real assets there. Just need to see if he can get his positioning and passing up to speed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I think he's going to end this season as an attacking mid and the focus of our punts downfield, with the intention of playing Zohore into space if Ken can start to anticipate the knockdowns properly.
    Why do I feel really depressed reading this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why do I feel really depressed reading this?
    Not sure. If there's one thing Paterson has shown is that he's really good in the air and at getting the ball to one of our players. You should be pleased that there's now a chance of us getting something out of the punt

Seriously, with other teams rarely giving NM-L and Hoilett space to run into now, we need his aerial ability badly, unless Grujic quickly turns into a player capable of playing killer passes from midfield.

Not sure. If there's one thing Paterson has shown is that he's really good in the air and at getting the ball to one of our players. You should be pleased that there's now a chance of us getting something out of the punt

Seriously, with other teams rarely giving NM-L and Hoilett space to run into now, we need his aerial ability badly, unless Grujic quickly turns into a player capable of playing killer passes from midfield.
    This makes me similarly depressed! Basically we've been found out, have no midfield to create anything, so the rest of the season is going to be route 1. Great.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This makes me similarly depressed! Basically we've been found out, have no midfield to create anything, so the rest of the season is going to be route 1. Great.....
    Come on Eric - this isn't news to you! We've basically got a few points cushion to try and stay in the playoffs any way we can. I'm quite excited that Grujic and Wildschut, combined with Hoilett, have the skill set needed to play through the opposition on the ground if things come together well, whilst Paterson gives us an alternative route through if needed.

The remaining games could be fascinating and tense, which in the end is why we bother turning up to watch...

In all seriousness, I know Man City are good but I don't feeel I'm missing out by supporting Cardiff because the games are never predictable and competition is what I go for, not one sided exhibition matches.

Come on Eric - this isn't news to you! We've basically got a few points cushion to try and stay in the playoffs any way we can. I'm quite excited that Grujic and Wildschut, combined with Hoilett, have the skill set needed to play through the opposition on the ground if things come together well, whilst Paterson gives us an alternative route through if needed.

The remaining games could be fascinating and tense, which in the end is why we bother turning up to watch...

In all seriousness, I know Man City are good but I don't feeel I'm missing out by supporting Cardiff because the games are never predictable and competition is what I go for, not one sided exhibition matches.
    Agreed that Grujic and Wildschut can give us something extra. My worry is the tactics ordered from above.

I think he's going to end this season as an attacking mid and the focus of our punts downfield, with the intention of playing Zohore into space if Ken can start to anticipate the knockdowns properly. I recall NW saying he wasn't very good as a defender...

If he can learn a little more of the art of midfield play then he could be a really effective player in that role. His eye for goal, ability to tackle and determination will be real assets there. Just need to see if he can get his positioning and passing up to speed now.
    I'd say that we're already in that position - we seem to be eager to get the ball back to our keeper a lot of the time who then punts it down the pitch to two players who are poor in the air for their height (Zohore and Mendez-Laing). We have possession of the ball around the half way line and are not being put under much pressure and yet we go backwards to a keeper, who is not the best kicker, who belts it to players who invariably lose the aerial challenge that follows - it just seems so haphazard for me, but I suppose there's more chance of us winning the headers if Paterson is the target.

I'm afraid so.Problem is now that those that have made those comments won't change their minds however well Grujic plays.Some just love a scapegoat!

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    I'm afraid so.Problem is now that those that have made those comments won't change their minds however well Grujic plays.Some just love a scapegoat!
    Pretty sure if Grujic starts doing the business people will change their minds. Everyone did with Ken..

I thought Paterson had plenty to say, but didn't actually do much.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Looked like he got about the pitch watching it in the stadium. Not sure how it came off on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Some proper polarized opinions in this thread

I thought Grujic was poor, totally off the pace. Two games is too soon to judge though
    He started okay but struggled as they took hold of the game ,same against Wednesday ,strong early on, he'll show more i'm sure as he settles in.

Agreed

Apparently it's best to just have players who can run around doing nothing

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Looked like he got about the pitch watching it in the stadium. Not sure how it came off on tv.
    I was at the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Apparently it's best to just have players who can run around doing nothing
    Definitely isn't.

But it does help in some instances, y'know if someone can't read a pass and anticipate where to go then running about will do.

I thought Paterson put himself about and showed desire ,he worked very hard , he did press them , however his midfield contribution wasn't that effective,which really is poor, as he his a top end midfielder , not playing out of position due to injuries to our other midfielders , playing against relatively ordinary other midfielders , shame on you Paterson ,think you have blown your 50 million pound move in this transfer window .