+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paterson v. Grujic

Paterson v. Grujic

One, from an average Scottish Prem. side, having recovered from a season-long injury. Put in another 100% performance, challenged for everything, didn't stop moving into spaces, and I don't think gave the ball away once.

The other, highly rated from a top Prem. side, looked like Bambi amongst tigers, gave the ball away constantly - their 2 goals came from his losing possession - and barely put a challenge in.

OK, he's only been playing 'development' football all season and is way off match fitness, but I can't help thinking that Klopp's 'deal' with the City to give him a guaranteed amount of playing time is aimed at toughening him up a bit - by which time he'll be on his way back to Liverpool..

Re: Paterson v. Grujic

Patterson was no better than anyonelse. Looks well out of his depth in AM, especially against City.

I thought he was crap there in general play against Sunderland only he got 2 from set pieces

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    One, from an average Scottish Prem. side, having recovered from a season-long injury. Put in another 100% performance, challenged for everything, didn't stop moving into spaces, and I don't think gave the ball away once.

The other, highly rated from a top Prem. side, looked like Bambi amongst tigers, gave the ball away constantly - their 2 goals came from his losing possession - and barely put a challenge in.

OK, he's only been playing 'development' football all season and is way off match fitness, but I can't help thinking that Klopp's 'deal' with the City to give him a guaranteed amount of playing time is aimed at toughening him up a bit - by which time he'll be on his way back to Liverpool..
    Agreed anonymous and wasteful.

How about Zohore v Pilkington?

Patterson looks useful as a full back, terribly clumbsy and slow in MF

Grujic - u wot m8? send him back to Liverpool and cut the loses on the loan deal (as in pay the damn wages we agreed but don't pay the points I expect us to by playing him)

Patterson plays with heart and determination. He was my man of the match and refused to take a backward step.He may not be a world class player but at our level is a very effect operator.Its a shame to see fans knock him after giving a whole hearted effort like he gave today.
    As for Grujic lets see how he settles in too soon to judge just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Patterson plays with heart and determination. He was my man of the match and refused to take a backward step.He may not be a world class player but at our level is a very effect operator.Its a shame to see fans knock him after giving a whole hearted effort like he gave today.
    As for Grujic lets see how he settles in too soon to judge just yet.
    Patterson, Ralls and Morrison were the stand-out players for me today. None of them at the level of Man City, but then few players are...

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Agreed anonymous and wasteful.

How about Zohore v Pilkington?
    I thought Zohore had a pretty strong game. Fed off scraps and held the ball up as well as any striker in the Prem would. I hope we keep Pilks as he offers something different.

Marko was hopeless but Ralls was contender fo motm? I see we have a new scapegoat now

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Patterson was no better than anyonelse. Looks well out of his depth in AM, especially against City.

I thought he was crap there in general play against Sunderland only he got 2 from set pieces
    I'm glad you said this cos I thought I must have been the only one who thought Patterson was awful

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I thought Zohore had a pretty strong game. Fed off scraps and held the ball up as well as any striker in the Prem would. I hope we keep Pilks as he offers something different.
    From where I was stood in the Canton Zohore looked like he couldn't be bothered

From watching on the telly I agree with you. Couple of strong runs, couple of decent shots, couldn’t have done any more

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    To me and my Mrs we thought he looked absolutely exhausted from the first whistle. I assumed he was ill until I saw Paterson give him a bollocking.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I thought he put in a great shift and was one of our better players.

At one point he was clearly out on his feet and Paterson was telling him to close down while he covered his man, zohore did so and they inevitably played around him. I thought our pressing was poor, you either press in numbers or you might as well stick 11 behind the ball and only engage around the box.

Thought Paterson did OK but he isn't a midfielder, think Damour may have been a more natural fit for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

At one point he was clearly out on his feet and Paterson was telling him to close down while he covered his man, zohore did so and they inevitably played around him. I thought our pressing was poor, you either press in numbers or you might as well stick 11 behind the ball and only engage around the box.

Thought Paterson did OK but he isn't a midfielder, think Damour may have been a more natural fit for this game.
    Unfortunately Damour would not have been suited to the role of trying to win the aerial battle for Etheridge’s goal kicks plus any other long balls that came his way which seemed to be one of Paterson’s key roles yesterday in circumstances where he did well in terms of effort and commitment. A one off role for a one off game ?

Zahore was poor and looked like he couldn't be arsed

The point I was making wasn't so much concerning yesterday's performances by the 2 players, but more of an observation : just because a player is coming from a top Premiership squad, doesn't mean he's going to have an impact in the division below - especially if he's not match-hardened. I also suspect it's a better deal for Liverpool than it is for the City...

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Agreed on Zahore - from where I was sitting (blk 102), hard to know what else he could have done IMHO. Got the ball down from the long balls and held it up well. Midfield then inevitably lost it or passed it straight back to Man City. Saw Paterson shouting at him second half, but as soon as he chased it down Kompany and co just passed it around him, and then more space subsequently opened up for them to move forward into our half. Grujic seemed absent to me.

The long ball to Zohore seemed to be the same tactic used vs Sheffield Wednesday. We seemed to want to get the ball down and play first half, then retorted to long balls in the second. In the end it turned into a glorified exhibition game.

Let's be honest - if Man City were really trying it could have been many more. Top team. Their pace and movement off the ball is top quality. Sane's pace alone is electrifying.

Forget about it now and let's move on to getting 3 points at Leeds next Saturday

I thought Grujic was the only one comfortable in what little posession we had yesterday

The typical "let's judge a player after 2 games" Cardiff city fan attitude.

No-one played well yesterday but from what I've seen of Grujic, if he can settle in and get with the pace of the game he could be a very good player for us at this level.

But nice to see our fans writing a player off after his first start in the league and 1 game against the world's best team. Nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The typical "let's judge a player after 2 games" Cardiff city fan attitude.
    Sadly so! Countless players have been victim of this at CCFC in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Sadly so! Countless players have been victim of this at CCFC in the past.
    I'd rather him over Halford or Bamba if I'm honest, and I'm sure he will grow into the team. He's one of our only players comfortable in possession..

Blue in the Face

Grujic has already shown that he is a massive step up from the likes of Damour. Can't wait for him to settle in. Yesterday should have been a really useful exercise for him in that regard. Yesterday's humbling shouldn't be read into. That was the best side to yet grace the CCS. Even better than yesteryear's Super Cup winners.

Reckon Neil is right with Paterson in that he will be with us for many a year and will eventually become a cult hero, mostly due to his attitude. I am a bit worried that he doesn't look as quick as when he was at Hearts pre-injury, though that could reflect the lack of pace/quality of the Scottish leagues. He needs to settle at RB eventually, but he is proving an useful stop gap through this injury plagued period. In the summer I feel we must off load one of our three RB's for the sake of balance, budget and playing opportunities. On current form, Jazz is the best of the three. But Paterson does have great potential still, so don't write him off!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I'd rather him over Halford or Bamba if I'm honest, and I'm sure he will grow into the team. He's one of our only players comfortable in possession..
    Certainly rather him over Halford. He was the only one of the pitch for us yesterday who tried to get the ball down and play some football in the middle. Granted he didn't have much luck against a world class team like Man City but if he can try to play the same way in the Chamionship and we give him time to adapt he could be a very good acquisition for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Certainly rather him over Halford. He was the only one of the pitch for us yesterday who tried to get the ball down and play some football in the middle. Granted he didn't have much luck against a world class team like Man City but if he can try to play the same way in the Chamionship and we give him time to adapt he could be a very good acquisition for us.
    Fully agree.