+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tans Folly

Tans Folly

Thats what the upper tier is described as by some who cant let the past go but I thought when full yesterday the Ninian Stand looked f*cking superb.

BBC also did a terrific air shot of the stadium yesterday. As much as I yearn for the days of Ninian Park as far as new stadiums go I think ours is right up there.

Shame we dont have a football team to match.

Re: Tans Folly

If we had a team playing good football and a full stadium every week it would be great. The stadium looked amazing full yesterday. The main reason I’d want us to go up would be to see a much fuller stadium every week.

It was built at a time when we really couldn't afford it but I think he was fulfilling one of his promises to extend the ground capacity. If TSVT sticks to his other promises then, I assume, the cost will be picked up by him in his conversion of debt to equity. The fact that it exists has meant that we have had a monopoly of recent major Wales games. Pity about the red seats and ayatollah white seats though.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Thats what the upper tier is described as by some who cant let the past go but I thought when full yesterday the Ninian Stand looked f*cking superb.

BBC also did a terrific air shot of the stadium yesterday. As much as I yearn for the days of Ninian Park as far as new stadiums go I think ours is right up there.

I have let the past go and am a season ticket holder again - but the red stand in a blue stadium does look highly incongruous and is indeed a symbol of what was great folly.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    It was built at a time when we really couldn't afford it but I think he was fulfilling one of his promises to extend the ground capacity. If TSVT sticks to his other promises then, I assume, the cost will be picked up by him in his conversion of debt to equity. The fact that it exists has meant that we have had a monopoly of recent major Wales games. Pity about the red seats and ayatollah white seats though.
    But when its full and people sitting on them, mainly dressed in blue, its looks superb

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have let the past go and am a season ticket holder again - but the red stand in a blue stadium does look highly incongruous and is indeed a symbol of what was great folly.
    The red seats have never ever bothered me tbh. Many grounds have parts of their ground with different colour seats to the main club colours. Staunchly against the red shirts and joined in the protests to get blue back but honestly think people who use the red seats, or the "worm" on the badge as a reason not go are really scraping the barrell.

I was up there for the wales games great veiw of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    It was built because there was funding available from EUFA as part of the agreement to stage the EUFA Super Cup.

But when its full and people sitting on them, mainly dressed in blue, its looks superb

The red seats have never ever bothered me tbh. Many grounds have parts of their ground with different colour seats to the main club colours. Staunchly against the red shirts and joined in the protests to get blue back but honestly think people who use the red seats, or the "worm" on the badge as a reason not go are really scraping the barrell.
    I have written to Google as they still use the Tan badge...

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    It was built because there was funding available from EUFA as part of the agreement to stage the EUFA Super Cup.
    That's a myth.

Thought it looked good when full last night. Adds a different dimension to the ground.

I'm the opposite as I actually like the red stand. It works perfectly for Wales games, the extra capacity has secured said games for us for a while now and it also sets us apart from most of the identikit bowls around today.

Ours seems fairly close to the pitch for a modern stadium as well

Still looks an eyesore to me with those tacky seats. I don't think I'll ever think of it as just another colour. Looks impressive when full though.

The CCS is a fantastic stadium. Looked great full yesterday.
    Just needs PL football.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's a myth.

I know some funding was allocated by UEFA for the upgrade....

It's only called Tan's Folly because it's mostly closed. I think it's quite apt.

I don't feel negatively about it. I think it's great when it's full. I'll admit I'm not particularly impressed with the red seats and the ayatollah thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    I know some funding was allocated by UEFA for the upgrade....
    If you can find any actual evidence for that claim you're a better man than I. There was no mention of it in the club's accounts for the relevant period.

That shot from the air was pretty awesome. just saw it on highlights clip. Did the ground justice.
    Spedger

I keep reading this as "trans folly" which would be a different thread altogether

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I keep reading this as "trans folly" which would be a different thread altogether
    Well Auntie did invite you start a thread