+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m uninspired...

I’m uninspired...

I think others around us have strengthened, and as we were the team that looks to be falling away from the top two we haven’t got that injection that I think will take us onwards for the rest of the season.

I’d be surprised if we make the playoffs.

What happened to the player Warnock has been after for years?

Re: I’m uninspired...

I agree buddy. Most of the better Championship teams have strengthened - Afobe to Wolves, Kasey Palmer to Derby, Grabban to Villa, Mitrovic to Fulham, Colback to Forest, even though they. These dealings could be make or break for our Neil. Don't get me wrong, I've loved him being at the club but I think we could look back at yesterday as the day things went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post

Was Adam Forshaw. We went with Grujic instead as Forshaw was messing around.

Totally uninspiring. Journeyman manager signs journeymen footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    I agree buddy. Most of the better Championship teams have strengthened - Afobe to Wolves, Kasey Palmer to Derby, Grabban to Villa, Mitrovic to Fulham, Colback to Forest, even though they. These dealings could be make or break for our Neil. Don't get me wrong, I've loved him being at the club but I think we could look back at yesterday as the day things went wrong.
    Not to mention Besic to Boro. I'm with Toadstool and the last few days have confirmed to me a few things.

1) Swansea will stay up
    2) We will be in the championship next season
    3) Warnock doesn't like players who can actually pass a football
    4) Whoever comes in next will struggle if he's not an advocate of Long ball football.
    5) We still have no long term plan at this club.

I wonder if there will ever be a time when Cardiff City will play good football. The nearest we've got to it in my 30 years as a Cardiff fan was Dave Jones and that was entirely dependent on Jay Bothroyd playing well!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I think others around us have strengthened, and as we were the team that looks to be falling away from the top two we haven’t got that injection that I think will take us onwards for the rest of the season.

I’d be surprised if we make the playoffs.

You aren’t alone, thank god this team won’t gain promotion. If it does there’s going to be at least 18 new players good enough to be brought in and you can bet Tan won’t be spending the money needed for that.
    Don’t think Warnock will be here next season.

If the opposition nullify our wingers we’re absolutely screwed as we have zero creativity in midfield and that’s with Bryson and Gunnars fit.

Uninspiring it may be but how about waiting to see how the side plays before throwing your toys out of the pram?

I bet you’re all a bundle of laughs at the matches...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Uninspiring it may be but how about waiting to see how the side plays before throwing your toys out of the pram?

I bet you’re all a bundle of laughs at the matches...
    I'll be happy to be proved wrong, just don't think yesterday's business worked in our favour.

When I saw the headline talking about a swap deal with Forest on News Now, I thought "as long as it's not Jamie bloody Ward!" while also adding "but it probably is" as an afterthought. After all, based on what we've seen from the team in recent weeks, Ward's spikey "bread and butter" virtues make him an archetypal City player in February 2018.

I really enjoyed Neil Warnock's first year in charge at Cardiff and always defended him and the players when someone accused us of playing "Warnock type football", because there was a dynamism and skill to our attacking play that was at odds with the long ball cloggers vision that critical description was meant to represent.

However, so far at least, our manager's second year at the club is turning into a big disappointment as far as I'm concerned as we turn into what I think is meant by the disparaging "Warnock team" description. I'm not surprised or particularly disappointed to see Lee Tomlin go, but it does mean that the number of players with a bit of flair in the squad is reduced by about 25% as a transformation to an almost total reliance on brute force continues.

Warnock won’t be here next season. Need someone in to provide the Club with long term aspirations in playing style and youth development.
    Bellamy?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When I saw the headline talking about a swap deal with Forest on News Now, I thought "as long as it's not Jamie bloody Ward!" while also adding "but it probably is" as an afterthought. After all, based on what we've seen from the team in recent weeks, Ward's spikey "bread and butter" virtues make him an archetypal City player in February 2018.

I really enjoyed Neil Warnock's first year in charge at Cardiff and always defended him and the players when someone accused us of playing "Warnock type football", because there was a dynamism and skill to our attacking play that was at odds with the long ball cloggers vision that critical description was meant to represent.

However, so far at least, our manager's second year at the club is turning into a big disappointment as far as I'm concerned as we turn into what I think is meant by the disparaging "Warnock team" description. I'm not surprised or particularly disappointed to see Lee Tomlin go, but it does mean that the number of players with a bit of flair in the squad is reduced by about 25% as a transformation to an almost total reliance on brute force continues.
    Spot on.

If Warnock has signed ‘Warnock type pkayers’ Doesn’t that make sense?

I would think that the club has been working really hard to get players in but so is every other club. Grabban would have been a great signing but with villa coming in at the last minute we lost him. I’m quite excited about the lad from Liverpool and the winger from Norwich. Madine to be fair has always been on Warnocks wanted list and he’ll fit in well. He’s a lump of a player and good in the air which is great in a ‘Warnock type team’ which is what we are.

I was disappointed Tomlin left but let’s face he was unfit and hardly played anyhow. At least ward is fit and will be a good option to have on the bench. He’s a busy player and gets in the oppositions faces. He is the sort of player everyone hates playing against. My mate who is a forest season ticket holder described him as a bit of a headcase who likes winding people up so he certainly fits the ‘warnock’ Mold.

I think we need to be patient here and not overreact. I personally think we will make the playoffs, it might not be pretty but when have we ever been!

I think the most worrying aspect of Neil Warnock's management are the signings he has actually spent money on.
    Both Tomlin and Bogie, for whatever reason, have been discarded pretty quickly. Injury has prematurely ended Ward's season, but he didn't appear to be any more than a bench player in Warnock's eyes.. Patterson has made more of an impact as a utility player, but not in his regular position of right back, where both Peltier and Richards have been preferred to him.
    When Warnock leaves at the end of the season, which I'm sure he will do, whether we are promoted or not, what will be his legacy as far as the make up of the squad is concerned?

Well reading some of the comments here , it is clear that, for some, the Warnock honeymoon period is well and truely over!! Looking at the league table, , I see that we are still near the top despite having only limited finance available and given where we were when Warnock took over, I feel that we have made progress. Let's not get too down on ourselves and enjoy the ride.

There a a number of posters who profess not to enjoy Premier League football and prefer the rough and tumble of the Championship. Having watched the game against ManCity on Sunday, I can see what they mean. The pundits were drooling over the fact that Kompany had completed 87 passes with 97% accuracy. How many of those were sideways or back to the keeper? I would suggest most of them. Personally I prefer the "entertainment" of the Championship. As we found out to our cost several years back, the thrill of the chase is often the best part!

Just my opinion of course.

Its a strange one, we have seen Warnock come in as take this team from the relegation spots, to the fans now expecting a promotion.

At the start of the season i looked at the squad and thought top half, maybe having a good crack at the play-offs with a good chance at missing out. Expectations have been exceeded. Has that spell in 2nd place push our fans to a level where we are now expecting a promotion or it is a failure.

I don't mind the style of football that is being played. Wolves, Villa and Derby (along with others) are in a different league budget wise to us, and i don't think we can compete with them for players. I don't mind a system that is direct uses wingers and crosses into the box to a target man forward. I think football is all about styles and if you don't fit a possession based system, then there are alternatives.

I don't think it was a stunning transfer window. However i do feel we have signed some interesting players, and have given the side some more options. If we do make the play-off, i will feel that this season has been a successful one.

I try to be upbeat with the City, on field and off, a view of "there is nothing I can do to affect what happens so make the best of things" type attitude.
    Unfortunately, the initial optimism when NW arrived and the "building of a side to have another go at promotion" for this season looks to have hit the buffers and currently I'm left feeling flat.

I don't entirely blame our Neil for the way we are going and the way we want to play, as some seem to.
    We have been looking to do things on the cheap, which has been accepted by many, and as such we have been unable to attract the "better" players available that seem to have gone elsewhere.
    Is this purely down to our "typical NW style"?
    I don't think so. Okay, the unfair tag that we have been unable to shake off hasn't helped but it seems we have been reluctant to shell out when we have been desperate due to lack of depth.

It looks like we should all prepare for Championship football again next season.
    This was in the back of most realistic minds as probably for the best anyway, but the TW business (or lack of) has confirmed this and I believe that is why most of us feel deflated, particularly with our unexpected great start.

Time is a healer and we should all be right behind Neil and our team soon, starting on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I try to be upbeat with the City, on field and off, a view of "there is nothing I can do to affect what happens so make the best of things" type attitude.
    Unfortunately, the initial optimism when NW arrived and the "building of a side to have another go at promotion" for this season looks to have hit the buffers and currently I'm left feeling flat.

I don't entirely blame our Neil for the way we are going and the way we want to play, as some seem to.
    We have been looking to do things on the cheap, which has been accepted by many, and as such we have been unable to attract the "better" players available that seem to have gone elsewhere.
    I don't think so. Okay, the unfair tag that we have been unable to shake off hasn't helped but it seems we have been reluctant to shell out when we have been desperate due to lack of depth.

It looks like we should all prepare for Championship football again next season.
    This was in the back of most realistic minds as probably for the best anyway, but the TW business (or lack of) has confirmed this and I believe that is why most of us feel deflated, particularly with our unexpected great start.

Time is a healer and we should all be right behind Neil and our team soon, starting on Saturday.
    To be fair we have signed 5 players in this window. A player that was signed for £7 million in his last transfer, a player who has scored 10 goals this season for a struggling club, a highly rated youngster from a top 4 premier league club, and 2 squad players at this level.

Its hard to say there has been a lack of activity, its simply that the fans are not excited by these signings.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

I also think the deflated feeling comes from the awful run of form we’ve had over the last month and a half.
    Our “big hitters” at the start of the season are either injured or massively out of form (Ken/NML) which has put the breaks on a bit.
    Add to that the uninspiring signings after seeing who we’ve been linked with adds to the feeling of deflation I’d say.
    On the flip side, win Saturday and no one will care about any of this.

Only 3 can go up, there’s been a fair few bob splashed out by others around us but I think we’ve been quite frugal. Ok we’ll most probably miss out but will we be in a better state than the others that miss out. A couple of the other non promoted sides could be left with a few financial millstones around their neck, and we know all about that. If we do fail to go up I would like to think we’ll be going into next season, whether with Warnock or not, perhaps a little more stable financially than some of our rivals. Then again who knows what our ‘uninspiring’ signings will bring to the table, Bamba & Hoilett didn’t turn out too bad.

Traffic's classic, "(Sometimes I feel) So Uninspired" ... a bit before most on here but a veritable classic nonetheless.
    https://youtu.be/QXfAbFdj8_E

StT.
    <><

Again I'm not necessarily writing off Madine. He may turn out to be decent. I just don't share the view with others that a striker was our most pressing issue in this window.

I don't see how we're gonna be able to win a midfield battle with what we've got.

Patterson in midfield is a complete no no for me. And Peltier is on the same level as Super Kev and Ben Turner technically.

The only creativity we have left in the whole squad solely rests on Hoiletts shoulders.

Kadeem Harris, Mendez-Laing, Wildschutt can run fast and would all win the 100 metres in school but none of them can see anything different on a football pitch.

I'm not one who demands that the club loosen the purse strings, we've got to work within a tight budget but that budget has been pushed out this window and that is why I'm uninspired cos you would at least expect Warnock to be looking to replace Tomlin given how highly he spoke of him having the x factor at in the summer.

As it is we look completely "functional" and all Warnock's words about sending the fans home excited at 5pm on a Saturday sound a bit hollow.

I'd like us to go up and I'm not one who would rather stay in the championship etc etc but I understand there are big clubs throwing money at it so the odds are against it. If we can't go up though I'd like to at least watch some football which excites me and see players do things other than just run around!

I can totally understand the comments about uninspiring. I'd have preferred Grabban over Madine every time. It was clear from very early on that Grabban would hold out to the last minute to maximise the benefits to him. Wildschut & Grujic look good on paper. I think Grojic will have to man up quickly otherwise games will pass him by.

Jamie Ward? Yippee

At the start of the season Lee Johnson said something along the lines of, "at least the bad influence has been removed from our dressing room", when the only player they'd moved out was Tomlin. I get the feeling there was an element of that with Tomlin in the City dressing room and NW just wanted him out.

We'll soon find out. Leeds (A), Millwall (A), Bolton (H), Boro (H), Ipswich (A), Wurzels (H). 12 points required to keep on track, a tough ask!

We're 4th in the league and have signed a Serbian international, a striker who's scored more goals than this season than Ken, Bogle and Ward have (and just 1 fewer than those three combined). A player who cost Norwich £7m not long ago and has looked good since joining us, actual cover at left-back and a bit of a utility player up front in Ward

We've also let go of that lazy, fat bastard who, talented though he is, has wasted his career. This window could have been much worse and we have had much worse windows recently (January with Solskjaer? Slade's dealings?)

The only transfer I'm disappointed with is Bogle going to Peterborough

Today's training session involved every player aiming the ball at madine's head