+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stockholm and Copenhagen

Stockholm and Copenhagen

Apart from the obvious 'take lots of cash' are there any tips for places I should see that I might not know about?

Will be in both places over the weekend.

Re: Stockholm and Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Apart from the obvious 'take lots of cash' are there any tips for places I should see that I might not know about?

I think Tivoli Gardens will be closed which is a shame. Copenhagen is a very pleasant City. You may want to visit somewhere not particularly pleasant called Christiana which is a commune where drugs are openly sold. Don’t take photos though.
    I would have recommended taking the short boat trip to Papiroen which is a Copenhagen Street food place but again closed until Spring.
    The Round tower is worth visiting.

I haven’t been to Stockholm for a few years but found that the prices were pretty comparable to London. If you tend to travel on a budget there are plenty of opportunities to save money but also plenty of scope to blow your wad, as it were. Plenty of great museums there, the Vasa is the most famous one.
    I took a hop on / off bus to the big tv transmitter tower which you can get to the top of for a great view. You also get to go around the harbours etc

Just head to the red light district in Stockholm , it's great

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I think Tivoli Gardens will be closed which is a shame. Copenhagen is a very pleasant City. You may want to visit somewhere not particularly pleasant called Christiana which is a commune where drugs are openly sold. Don’t take photos though.
    I would have recommended taking the short boat trip to Papiroen which is a Copenhagen Street food place but again closed until Spring.
    Tivoli opens on Friday. Hence we planned it to arrive in Copenhagen on Saturday.

We fly Bristol to Stockholm on Thursday, stay 2 nights before getting a train from Stockholm to Copenhagen on Saturday afternoon via the Oresund bridge / tunnel (see pic)

Then two nights in Copenhagen. Have booked City cards for both so will be dashing around the main sights and loading up on meatballs and pastries.

oresund.JPG

Great that’s Tivoli’s open. We went to Copenhagen end March 2016 and it was closed. What I like about the city is it’s very geared up to the outdoors. Lots of students on their pedal cycles everywhere. It’s just a nice place to be.

Just outside Copenhagen is Roskilde, where the Danish Kings and Queens are buried and there is a really good Viking museum. Similarly just outside Stockholm is the Drottningholm summer palace which is worth a visit. In Stockholm there is an Icebar (offshoot of the Ice Hotel) in one of the hotels which is good fun for an hour where you get a thermal cape and flavoured vodka in an iceglass, if you have not been to the one in London.

Tivoli would normally be closed at this time of year, but as it's a big anniversary year, they are opening in February. It opens 2nd Feb. http://www.tivoli.dk/ It's a nice place to walk around but costs about a tenner to get in, without the ticket for the amusement rides. Some of them are really good though!
    Take a boat trip to see a fair amount of the city easily and quickly. If you take the blue Netto boats, they cost less than half the price of the DFDS ones, and they depart from just near eachother on Nyhavn. Nyhavn, the picturesque little harbour is worth taking a walk along. The bars are really expensive there though not surprisingly, so save the beers and food for elsewhere in the city.
    The little mermaid can be seen from the boat trips, so avoid the long walk there in the cold at this time of year. It's pretty disappointing anyway! If you do walk out there, walk from Nyhavn, through the royal palace Amalienborg, and then on through Kastellet, to the mermaid. Kastellet is really nice, an old fort with ramparts, with some great views of the harbour.
    Papirøen street food is closed for good now, shut down at the end of the autumn. Will be re-developed, no doubt into stupidly expensive apartments the city doesn't need!
    Christiania can be pleasant, and at the very least it's an interesting place to have a walk around. Pusher street where the weed is sold generally isn't though, as it's just gangsters being typical gangster dicks.
    Copenhagen isn't the best though at this time of year, due to the dark and cold. Summer is when to visit, as the place just transforms into a massive party zone.
    Avoid the Irish pubs on the walking street, the pubs on the strip between Town Hall square and central station, the tourist traps on Nyhavn, and you'll be able to find pints similar to London prices, and if you don't mind smoking bars, there's tons of cheap places too (the smoking ban doesn't apply to half the places here!)

oh and booze in the supermarkets in Denmark is cheaper than it is in the UK, so a good way to save money. Sweden on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    Tivoli would normally be closed at this time of year, but as it's a big anniversary year, they are opening in February. It opens 2nd Feb. http://www.tivoli.dk/ It's a nice place to walk around but costs about a tenner to get in, without the ticket for the amusement rides. Some of them are really good though!
    Take a boat trip to see a fair amount of the city easily and quickly. If you take the blue Netto boats, they cost less than half the price of the DFDS ones, and they depart from just near eachother on Nyhavn. Nyhavn, the picturesque little harbour is worth taking a walk along. The bars are really expensive there though not surprisingly, so save the beers and food for elsewhere in the city.
    The little mermaid can be seen from the boat trips, so avoid the long walk there in the cold at this time of year. It's pretty disappointing anyway! If you do walk out there, walk from Nyhavn, through the royal palace Amalienborg, and then on through Kastellet, to the mermaid. Kastellet is really nice, an old fort with ramparts, with some great views of the harbour.
    Papirøen street food is closed for good now, shut down at the end of the autumn. Will be re-developed, no doubt into stupidly expensive apartments the city doesn't need!
    Christiania can be pleasant, and at the very least it's an interesting place to have a walk around. Pusher street where the weed is sold generally isn't though, as it's just gangsters being typical gangster dicks.
    Copenhagen isn't the best though at this time of year, due to the dark and cold. Summer is when to visit, as the place just transforms into a massive party zone.
    Avoid the Irish pubs on the walking street, the pubs on the strip between Town Hall square and central station, the tourist traps on Nyhavn, and you'll be able to find pints similar to London prices, and if you don't mind smoking bars, there's tons of cheap places too (the smoking ban doesn't apply to half the places here!)
    Thanks. We got a lost of sights to see. We only there for 2 nights, and not bothered about bars too much. Just happy to mooch for a day or so.

That’s a real shame about Papiroen. We really liked the different food options there. My son went to the street musical festival Distortion a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. It was on start June and was very hot.
    It’s a very enjoyable place to visit.

That’s a real shame about Papiroen. We really liked the different food options there. My son went to the street musical festival Distortion a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. It was on start June and was very hot.
    It’s a very enjoyable place to visit.
    Papriøen will re-open in some form close by. It was only ever going to be temporary when they opened it, as the lease was short term. They just used it before it went for redevelopment. Maybe your son saw me DJ then at Distortion. I've played the last two years on a stage in Nørrebro. Two years ago was amazing, and like you say boiling hot.
    Mike, Copenhagen is a great city for wandering. I often find it a little difficult to recommend particular sights. It doesn't really have that many as such, but I think that's the point. It doesn't need them, because it's all just very nice. Great design, and extremely well planned infrastructure/public spaces make it a really pleasant place to be. The lakes are nice to walk around. The new bridge between Nyhavn and where Papirøen was is also really cool and a great short cut to Christiania. Christianshavn is great for wandering around too, very picturesque. The weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday is also really good, and it's not that cold at all compared to normal, so you might be in luck.

I went to both cities last summer and can't add much to what's already been said.

Sounds a lot better than Leeds away anyway. Have fun.

Just to bump this thread some good advice there - a few of us are coming out for the Wales game in September so the weather should be better. I've been before in the winter and it was Baltic - in fact I know where that phrase comes from now as the coldest place I've ever been was Riga in December.

Anyway I digress - any suggestions on places to stay or even locations. looking for a two 3 or maybe 4 star depending on price in the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just to bump this thread some good advice there - a few of us are coming out for the Wales game in September so the weather should be better. I've been before in the winter and it was Baltic - in fact I know where that phrase comes from now as the coldest place I've ever been was Riga in December.

Anyway I digress - any suggestions on places to stay or even locations. looking for a two 3 or maybe 4 star depending on price in the centre.

I would recommend the Hotel Absalon. It’s on the edge of the red light district but it’s not rough at all and ranked very highly on Tripadviser. It’s a boutique style hotel. It’s very clean and stylishly furnished. The bedrooms are quite small but comfortable. The breakfasts are good and it has a very reasonably priced and cosy bar. It’s a five minute walk from the train station. The train station is right by the airport so it’s very easy to get to.

It’s also very reasonably priced. I would definitely stay there again

I would recommend the Hotel Absalon. It’s on the edge of the red light district but it’s not rough at all and ranked very highly on Tripadviser. It’s a boutique style hotel. It’s very clean and stylishly furnished. The bedrooms are quite small but comfortable. The breakfasts are good and it has a very reasonably priced and cosy bar. It’s a five minute walk from the train station. The train station is right by the airport so it’s very easy to get to.

It’s also very reasonably priced. I would definitely stay there again
    Thanks for that, I did a quick search on Trivago and that was one that looked interesting.

Didn't look too hard because I was hoping for some advice on areas fist before looking at hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Thanks for that, I did a quick search on Trivago and that was one that looked interesting.

Didn't look too hard because I was hoping for some advice on areas fist before looking at hotels.
    We stayed in the Copenhagen Strand for a long weekend last June. Superb location, 10 minutes walking distance from just about anything. One tip we use a lot is use a hop on hop off bus, then go back to the places we like afterwards. Loved Paper Island, shame it's gone. Brilliant city, wonderful people, will be back later this year. Agree with buying finding an Aldi for alcohol ...

Haven’t been to Stockholm, but was in Copenhagen 2 weeks ago, generally very nice, locals were extremely friendly, thought the Mermaid was disappointing but overall a great place, albeit very expensive - more so than London for eating & drinking out......

When in Copenhagen ask for Cornelius the tour guide. He:s expensive and he'll get lost. Something to tell the kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    When in Copenhagen ask for Cornelius the tour guide. He:s expensive and he'll get lost. Something to tell the kids though.
    Ironically when we were there his image was being used on the side of the buses ....

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I have also heard that if you want to get hopelessly lost in Copenhagen for a couple of hours then O'Neill tours come highly recommended.

Thanks. We got a lost of sights to see. We only there for 2 nights, and not bothered about bars too much. Just happy to mooch for a day or so.
    Danish cable channel TV3 Max is showing Leeds Cardiff tomorrow at 16:00. Man Utd Huddersfield is on at the same time on Sky I think, but most pubs will stick the City game on if you ask I would imagine. The Dubliner on Strøget can show loads of games at the same time, so that'd be a good bet.