+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: F1 Grid Girls Binned

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: F1 Grid Girls Binned

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Sorry, Rjk, I was trying to be a clever-arse by suggesting that it isn't much of a career choice for women if 1. It's based on the basic desires of others, and 2. It's determined by how she looks and how old she is.
    Football isn't much of a career for men given it's determined by physical acts and how old the players are...

Basic desires? Vast majority of F1 viewers are petrol heads. Think you'll find most creaming themselves over the excellent technical features Sky have rather than a fleeting glimpse of a young woman for all of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Football isn't much of a career for men given it's determined by physical acts and how old the players are...

Basic desires? Vast majority of F1 viewers are petrol heads. Think you'll find most creaming themselves over the excellent technical features Sky have rather than a fleeting glimpse of a young woman for all of a second.
    Are footballers chosen by how good they look?

And if F1 viewers aren't interested in the women then why have them?

Are footballers chosen by how good they look?

And if F1 viewers aren't interested in the women then why have them?
    If you can point out any footballers who don't match the fotballer prototype these days... those overweight tend to be loaned out in the hope other clubs can get them fit.

They are there, afaik not employed directly by F1 but by local promoters to bring a bit of glamour.

The cars and drivers are the stars, the grid girls are just something that's there. No viewer tunes in to watch the grid girls ( except sludge ), no viewer tunes in to watch the ring girls in boxing or ufc ( except Sludge ) etc.

What we're seeing these days is a culture espoused that women can truly do anything they want to - except things a vocal minority don't want them to do. Which seems to me to be as anti-feminist as you can get.

If you can point out any footballers who don't match the fotballer prototype these days... those overweight tend to be loaned out in the hope other clubs can get them fit.

They are there, afaik not employed directly by F1 but by local promoters to bring a bit of glamour.

The cars and drivers are the stars, the grid girls are just something that's there. No viewer tunes in to watch the grid girls ( except sludge ), no viewer tunes in to watch the ring girls in boxing or ufc ( except Sludge ) etc.

What we're seeing these days is a culture espoused that women can truly do anything they want to - except things a vocal minority don't want them to do. Which seems to me to be as anti-feminist as you can get.
    You ask me to name a player who doesn't meet the footballer prototype then you name one. But it's a poor analogy anyway - a footballer's skill is nurtured over many years and not just a genetic gift and a hour in hair and make-up.

Then you suggest they're there to bring a bit of glamour but no-one's taking any notice. Then why have them if no-one is bothered about the glamour?

I don't think what is being espoused has changed. Feminism wants women to be judged equally and fairly like anyone else and not just as eye candy and 'glamour'.

You ask me to name a player who doesn't meet the footballer prototype then you name one. But it's a poor analogy anyway - a footballer's skill is nurtured over many years and not just a genetic gift and a hour in hair and make-up.

Then you suggest they're there to bring a bit of glamour but no-one's taking any notice. Then why have them if no-one is bothered about the glamour?

I don't think what is being espoused has changed. Feminism wants women to be judged equally and fairly like anyone else and not just as eye candy and 'glamour'.
    That's bs though. Feminists can claim that all they like but women themselves are highly judgmental on looks et al - probably moreso than men. Feminists would rail against NFL cheerleaders, I'm sure. Ok, they are highly trained, demonstrating skill in their routines and indeed virtually all are educated to degree level but damn, they aren't wearing suits.

Would you say NFL cheerleaders are just "a genetic gift and an hour in hair and make-up"? That's quite judgemental if you agree with that view.

End of the day, if a model ( part time or other ) wants to hold a sign at a grand prix event ( and they aren't hardly just stood there wearing bikinis ) then imo they are prefectly free to do so without being judged by anyone, especially "feminists".

PS,

I didn't say nobody was taking notice. What I said was that the overwhelming majority of F1 viewers are petrolheads. Do they add a bit of glamour to a sport that is testosterone on speed? Yes. Do people tune in specifically to watch them ( apart from Sludge )? Behave...

That's bs though. Feminists can claim that all they like but women themselves are highly judgmental on looks et al - probably moreso than men. Feminists would rail against NFL cheerleaders, I'm sure. Ok, they are highly trained, demonstrating skill in their routines and indeed virtually all are educated to degree level but damn, they aren't wearing suits.

Would you say NFL cheerleaders are just "a genetic gift and an hour in hair and make-up"? That's quite judgemental if you agree with that view.

End of the day, if a model ( part time or other ) wants to hold a sign at a grand prix event ( and they aren't hardly just stood there wearing bikinis ) then imo they are prefectly free to do so without being judged by anyone, especially "feminists".

PS,

I didn't say nobody was taking notice. What I said was that the overwhelming majority of F1 viewers are petrolheads. Do they add a bit of glamour to a sport that is testosterone on speed? Yes. Do people tune in specifically to watch them ( apart from Sludge )? Behave...

You've already explained the difference between cheerleaders and someone holding a sign, so no, I wouldn't make that judgment (not that I mentioned cheerleaders).

"End of the day, if a model wants to hold a sign..." Do they though? Or do they think it's just a job because that's all we can offer them? This is the worth we bestow on them which becomes their self worth - 'just stand there, don't think, don't offer any ideas, you're here just to be the sugar on the event, until we think you're not attractive enough anymore.'

And what if someone applies to be a grid girl and they're not qualified i.e. not hot enough? Maybe (some) women are judgmental about each other because this is how society values them. Also, everyone can be quite snooty about each other in particular ways; it doesn't mean they want that in a societal framework.

Glamour is shallow and a facade; I think it's good we're moving away from such a mindset.

You've already explained the difference between cheerleaders and someone holding a sign, so no, I wouldn't make that judgment (not that I mentioned cheerleaders).

"End of the day, if a model wants to hold a sign..." Do they though? Or do they think it's just a job because that's all we can offer them? This is the worth we bestow on them which becomes their self worth - 'just stand there, don't think, don't offer any ideas, you're here just to be the sugar on the event, until we think you're not attractive enough anymore.'

And what if someone applies to be a grid girl and they're not qualified i.e. not hot enough? Maybe (some) women are judgmental about each other because this is how society values them. Also, everyone can be quite snooty about each other in particular ways; it doesn't mean they want that in a societal framework.

Glamour is shallow and a facade; I think it's good we're moving away from such a mindset.
    That's all we can offer them? Good grief - it's one days work. One day. Models are self-employed after all...

Shallow, facade are terms that can be used at the faux outrage on behalf of such downtrodden women...