+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Squad Numbers

Squad Numbers

It was always strange last season looking at the back of the programme and seeing Peltier as our first player listed. I think it will be even more strange if we go the rest of this season without a number 7.

Re: Squad Numbers

Number 7 should be retired by the club like they do in the US with a big banner of whitts

I could cope with Tomlin getting the shirt, but hope they don't give it to Jamie Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Number 7 should be retired by the club like they do in the US with a big banner of whitts
    yes...he deserves it for all his loyalty.............. ROFLCOPTER LOL LOL LOL

Why have numbers in the first place? It would be easier to identify players with a combination of two letters linked to their name. Radical, man..

Why should only Whitts shirt number be retired ? No doubt he is a club legend but I don't think he's the greatest club legend by any means. Whilst Tom Farquharson and Fred Keenor never wore a numbered Cardiff City shirt they did more than enough for the numbers 1 and 5 to be retired especially as legend Don Murray later wore the latter with more than distinction. Full backs Alf Sherwood, Ron Stitfall and Alan Harrington did more than enough for the numbers 2 and 3 to be retired. The number 6 shirt could be retired in memory of Billy Hardy, 11 for Jack Evans. What about Phil Dwyer and Peter King ? More deserving causes ? I suppose cases could be made for retiring shirts 1 to 11 just to be on the safe side. Or perhaps just not retire the Whitts shirt because, in the canon of Cardiff City legends, he is not top of the list ?

What number shirt did Eddie Johnson wear?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What number shirt did Eddie Johnson wear?
    No 9

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Why should only Whitts shirt number be retired ? No doubt he is a club legend but I don't think he's the greatest club legend by any means. Whilst Tom Farquharson and Fred Keenor never wore a numbered Cardiff City shirt they did more than enough for the numbers 1 and 5 to be retired especially as legend Don Murray later wore the latter with more than distinction. Full backs Alf Sherwood, Ron Stitfall and Alan Harrington did more than enough for the numbers 2 and 3 to be retired. The number 6 shirt could be retired in memory of Billy Hardy, 11 for Jack Evans. What about Phil Dwyer and Peter King ? More deserving causes ? I suppose cases could be made for retiring shirts 1 to 11 just to be on the safe side. Or perhaps just not retire the Whitts shirt because, in the canon of Cardiff City legends, he is not top of the list ?
    Sorry mate I wasn't actually being serious

Sorry mate I wasn't actually being serious