+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Ramsey

Re: Aaron Ramsey

I blame Dave Moans

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I blame Dave Moans
    Good at getting wayward players to perform though-I wonder if Jones would've had more luck with Tomlin than Warnock has.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good at getting wayward players to perform though-I wonder if Jones would've had more luck with Tomlin than Warnock has.
    Jones wouldn't have signed him in the first place.

Not sure how anyone can knock Rambo

He contribution to Wales has normally been massive

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Not as good as Warnock....He would have stopped Bothroyd spending half of his games on his arse

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

You’ve been here long enough to know this is a home for scarred supporters who can no longer recognise talent. In their world the only good players all play for a very few clubs who win everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Great to see Mkhitaryan with the shackles off too, completely ruined in that man u side
    Good point and relevant to this thread. Ramsey has been brought up by Wenger in his systems. They ended up trying to accommodate Sanchez (hard not to I guess with his goals) but I honestly don’t think I he played Wengers way and I’d argue that they’ve been this erratic team ever since Sanchez joined. Mkhitaryan is much more them and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them really start to gel. Ramsey is at his best being involved in the build up and making great moves into space. His positioning and awareness today were those of a top class premier league player. I think he can do it consistently as well

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

It really hasn't. He's undoubtably one of Wales' best players. But he can't win a game on his own like Bale can. In fact, when Bale isn't playing, Ramsey often panics. I'm not knocking him. I'm just saying he's not as good as some make him out to be. He's not influential. He's not Lampard. He's not Gerrard.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It really hasn't. He's undoubtably one of Wales' best players. But he can't win a game on his own like Bale can. In fact, when Bale isn't playing, Ramsey often panics. I'm not knocking him. I'm just saying he's not as good as some make him out to be. He's not influential. He's not Lampard. He's not Gerrard.
    The Euro semi final showed Ramsey's importance to Wales, we were more or less completely ineffective without him. In fact Bale panicked, he was smashing shots from 40 yards. We couldn't break down Georgia at home in this past qualifying campaign without him either

No Ramsey and Wales almost definitely don't qualify for Euro 2016, so his contribution has been massive

Decent player. Not an elite one. Certainly not world class.

I disagree on your last point. He had a season where he was just as influential as the English lads you mention when he was played in the middle.
    For some reason he was mismanaged by Wenger by playing him in a wide role instead of pulling the strings when he brought in the already established world stars.

Rather than all sit here pretending we have any idea clue about football (and for Tuerto, a window into Aaron Ramsey's most secret thoughts and desires...) why don't we doing something productive like guess at the 3 poor ****s that are going to be no more by tomorrow evening.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Decent player. Not an elite one. Certainly not world class.
    Well, everyone will have a different criteria that they judge to be elite or world class, so that could be seen as a fairly meaningless statement.

As he's been an important player at one of the top clubs in one of the big 5 leagues for years, personally I'd say that alone puts him in the elite category.
    Looking at his stats output, he does appear to be in the elite bracket - although he is a bit of an enigma. Some aspects of his game aren't that good - he underperforms his xG practically every year, which must be an indication that his finishing is not good.

I don't think Arsene Wenger has been a very good manager for about five years now and I use the fact that good players have got worse under him lately as evidence of that. I'd say Koscielny, Gibbs, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Wilshire and Ramsey are among a host of players this could apply to and, although I believe the player himself isn't entirely blameless in this case I think Rambo would be a better performer now if he was not playing under his current club manager.

I can remember a preview of the 2014/15 Premier League season in which a majority of the five or six pundits asked said that Aaron Ramsey would be the best player in the division over the coming campaign - they were proved to be pretty spectacularly wrong, but it does show the standard he had been playing to before another one of those injuries which have dogged his career about halfway through the 13/14 season.

However, I believe Wenger's failure to get the best out of Ramsey was proven by how he performed on the biggest stage he has featured on in his career so far - Ramsey's deserved selection in the team of best performers in Euro 16 shows that the ability is still there if his manager/coach picks him in his best position.

If you play Aaron Ramsey in his best position and actually give him the ball, he is world class.

The problem is Arsenal had Sanchez for ages and it was pretty clear him and Ramsey didn't really click on the pitch. Take Sanchez out and put a playmaker like Mkhitaryan in there and voila, a world class goal scoring midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't think Arsene Wenger has been a very good manager for about five years now and I use the fact that good players have got worse under him lately as evidence of that. I'd say Koscielny, Gibbs, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Wilshire and Ramsey are among a host of players this could apply to and, although I believe the player himself isn't entirely blameless in this case I think Rambo would be a better performer now if he was not playing under his current club manager.

I can remember a preview of the 2014/15 Premier League season in which a majority of the five or six pundits asked said that Aaron Ramsey would be the best player in the division over the coming campaign - they were proved to be pretty spectacularly wrong, but it does show the standard he had been playing to before another one of those injuries which have dogged his career about halfway through the 13/14 season.

However, I believe Wenger's failure to get the best out of Ramsey was proven by how he performed on the biggest stage he has featured on in his career so far - Ramsey's deserved selection in the team of best performers in Euro 16 shows that the ability is still there if his manager/coach picks him in his best position.
    It is easy to read too much onto an international tournament though- ultimately its only a handful of games.
    Moussa Sissoko had an excellent euro 2016, and it earned him a big money move to Spurs, but he's been crap there and was crap at Newcastle before

It is easy to read too much onto an international tournament though- ultimately its only a handful of games.
    Moussa Sissoko had an excellent euro 2016, and it earned him a big money move to Spurs, but he's been crap there and was crap at Newcastle before
    Sissoko had a few good games, he didn't even have a good tournament. Ramsey was outstanding in the Euros in all 5 games.

All you can do is perform well at a major international tournament and Ramsey did that. The critics thought he was the best player of his type in the competition so that'll do for me - the fact that his club manager has been unable to utilise that talent and Ramsey at times looks like a "typical" Arsenal player (a description that mainly conveys a negative impression these days) is an indictment on him, but moreso on Wenger in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

He played in his best position today

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    If you play Aaron Ramsey in his best position and actually give him the ball, he is world class.

The problem is Arsenal had Sanchez for ages and it was pretty clear him and Ramsey didn't really click on the pitch. Take Sanchez out and put a playmaker like Mkhitaryan in there and voila, a world class goal scoring midfielder.
    You make a similar point to my earlier one. The potential for Arsenal without Sanchez is much improved

They played some beautiful stuff today - in the past few years they’ve lost their easiness on the eye. If they play like today though then there’s only Man City who play a better brand of football.

You're a ****ing idiot if you knock Ramsey. He's class

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    You're a ****ing idiot if you knock Ramsey. He's class
    Just not world class.

I agree with Bob that Wenger certainly haven't helped him progress and he should've left arsenal a while ago given the medical situation at arsenal that hasn't helped as it is to often to just be bad luck or coincidence. I honestly think Rambo could be one of the best midfielders in the world

Just not world class.
    I disagree, I think he is.

I don't particularly want to go down the route of giving Wenger a verbal kicking (like some have) as I think he rates Ramsey, proving that by playing him as much as he could. He also looked after him after his horrendous leg break where some managers might not have.
    I just think that in trying to live up to expectation Wenger has brought people in and Ramsey has been the victim of being a "jack of all trades".

Possibly Ramsey's mistake was accepting this instead of fighting his corner but knowing young Aaron (not that I do!) he just trusted his manager, as most would, especially considering what Wenger had achieved prior to Ramsey signing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and with the benefit of it, many of us would be doing a lot better for ourselves.

No, he hasn't won as many things on a European level as some, as has been mentioned, but how many "top professionals" fall in the same bracket?
    Alan Shearer for example. One Championship wasn't it with Blackburn