+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st penalty decision at Anfield.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

1st penalty decision at Anfield.

I thought I knew the offside rule.

Something must have changed.

Kane clearly in offside position when ball played forward by Spurs player.

Lovren made contact and, according to the officials and pundits, played Kane onside.

However Kane's initial offside a split second earlier should have been penalised.

Justice done with pen save.

Re: 1st penalty decision at Anfield.

Same here. How can he not be active when the initial ball was played through?!?!

A case of officials not knowing the rules - as it was when Hoilett had a goal chalked off at QPR. Complete opposite situations with two wrong decisions.

I thought it was the correct decision because
    1 loveren made a **** of himself
    2 Liverpool are scum

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    I wasn't expecting that

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    I thought I knew the offside rule.

Something must have changed.

Kane clearly in offside position when ball played forward by Spurs player.

Lovren made contact and, according to the officials and pundits, played Kane onside.

However Kane's initial offside a split second earlier should have been penalised.

Justice done with pen save.
    It was an interesting one. Here are the offside laws.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...w-11---offside

As I understand it, the three rules affecting this incident are

1) Being in an offside position is not an offence

2) Kane doesn't make 'an obvious attempt to clearly impact on the ability of the opponent to play the ball'

3) Lovren 'deliberately plays the ball'

That's why the decision was correct by the letter of the law, I think, but I still agree with you.

Even though Kane doesn't affect Lovren's ability to play the ball, the fact that he is standing so close to him means it affects how Lovren can play it. He can't take a touch then clear it in case Kane jumps on the touch, he can't leave it for the keeper because he doesn't know if Kane is offside or not so he's forced to take a swing at it which leads to the penalty.

There was an incident earlier when the linesman didn't put his flag up till the last second which led to a collision between the striker and the keeper. Football's got some odd rules.

I don't care as long as the Scousers drop points and never win a raffle

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It was an interesting one. Here are the offside laws.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...w-11---offside

As I understand it, the three rules affecting this incident are

1) Being in an offside position is not an offence

2) Kane doesn't make 'an obvious attempt to clearly impact on the ability of the opponent to play the ball'

3) Lovren 'deliberately plays the ball'

That's why the decision was correct by the letter of the law, I think, but I still agree with you.

Even though Kane doesn't affect Lovren's ability to play the ball, the fact that he is standing so close to him means it affects how Lovren can play it. He can't take a touch then clear it in case Kane jumps on the touch, he can't leave it for the keeper because he doesn't know if Kane is offside or not so he's forced to take a swing at it which leads to the penalty.

There was an incident earlier when the linesman didn't put his flag up till the last second which led to a collision between the striker and the keeper. Football's got some odd rules.
    I've had a look at the FA rules as well.

Kane is influencing whether Lovren plays the ball.

Maybe further debate will be held at the FA about the fact that Kane was 'active' when the ball was played.

I've had a look at the FA rules as well.

Kane is influencing whether Lovren plays the ball.

Maybe further debate will be held at the FA about the fact that Kane was 'active' when the ball was played.
    Common sense tells you that Kane is affecting play by being there but the rules don't seem to cover the advantage he's gaining, unless I've missed something. The fact that he doesn't move towards Lovren or the ball (or obstruct his view) seems to make it ok.

They should go back to offside being offside. If I wanted complicated rules and interpretation I’d watch rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    They should go back to offside being offside. If I wanted complicated rules and interpretation I’d watch rugby.
    What's complicated about rules in rugby? I think you may be confusing complicated with not understanding

Klopp has made 96 changes to his starting eleven .

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    What's complicated about rules in rugby? I think you may be confusing complicated with not understanding
    Yeah, I don’t understand them because they are complicated. On telly they explain decisions on the screen. Even the players on the pitch have to be told what the f•ck is going on by the ref FFS

Yeah, I don’t understand them because they are complicated. On telly they explain decisions on the screen. Even the players on the pitch have to be told what the f•ck is going on by the ref FFS
    They're trying a new rule to stop the scrum half throwing the ball straight to the back row. I think the refs in rugby are a lot better and will explain his decision. I understand the rules so I must be super intelligent

Common sense tells you that Kane is affecting play by being there but the rules don't seem to cover the advantage he's gaining, unless I've missed something. The fact that he doesn't move towards Lovren or the ball (or obstruct his view) seems to make it ok.
    Wasn't it Cloughie who said "if he's not interfering with play he shouldn't be on the pitch"?

Bizarre decision of why Kane wasn't deemed offside made worse by Dermot Gallagher's explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Wasn't it Cloughie who said "if he's not interfering with play he shouldn't be on the pitch"?

Bizarre decision of why Kane wasn't deemed offside made worse by Dermot Gallagher's explanation.
    I assume that the 'interfering with play' thing was so vague that they brought in laws to clarify it but, as the Kane incident showed, the laws don't quite make sense. Gallagher was only explaining what the rules are and that the officials got it right, even though we could all see that the law is an ass in this case.

The second penalty was a definite one, quite funny too. Klopp was an ass afterwards.

I assume that the 'interfering with play' thing was so vague that they brought in laws to clarify it but, as the Kane incident showed, the laws don't quite make sense. Gallagher was only explaining what the rules are and that the officials got it right, even though we could all see that the law is an ass in this case.

The second penalty was a definite one, quite funny too. Klopp was an ass afterwards.
    If what Gallagher says is correct and is now the rule then firstly, I did not know that and secondly, the law is ridiculous mun!

Going the same way as rugby union. Too many rules but worse, overcomplicating a simple game!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Klopp has made 96 changes to his starting eleven .
    I thought you were only allowed to make 3 subs!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I don't care as long as the Scousers drop points and never win a raffle
    They play some good football at the moment though. I'd rather Liverpool and spurs both got champions league football, at the expense of Chelsea or Man U

The ref used the 4th offical in this incident,He pointed to the spot seconds after asking if the 4th offical could help.
    I cant' remember where but away under dave jones a 4th offical ruled out a goal from 50 yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    The ref used the 4th offical in this incident,He pointed to the spot seconds after asking if the 4th offical could help.
    I cant' remember where but away under dave jones a 4th offical ruled out a goal from 50 yards away.
    I think we had a goal disallowed at Millwall due to 4th official getting involved.

I think we had a goal disallowed at Millwall due to 4th official getting involved.
    Thanks you've got a better memory than me