+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st penalty decision at Anfield.

Re: 1st penalty decision at Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Thanks you've got a better memory than me
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._1/9426549.stm

Almost correct - He ruled out a penalty decision.

Still unclear, for example if a player is standing in an offside position when a shot is taken (not interfering with play) and then that shot rebounds of the keeper and the offside player is able to score, guarantee 100% of the time that goal will not stand.

There was a similar incident in the Southampton game on Saturday (?), albeit the player missed but the flag had already gone up.

Lovren can't let the ball run through to Kane, because he might be able to score. With stuff like this, you're going to get defenders letting balls run through if they think a player is offside so this doesn't happen.

The rule is about as clear as mud. Surprise, surprise Dermot defending the officials on his Ref Watch on Monday. Total waste of a programme, and why VAR will never work.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The rule is about as clear as mud. Surprise, surprise Dermot defending the officials on his Ref Watch on Monday. Total waste of a programme, and why VAR will never work.
    Webb has defended them as well, while Hackett and Clattenburg who have axes to grind have said it was the wrong call. Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Still unclear, for example if a player is standing in an offside position when a shot is taken (not interfering with play) and then that shot rebounds of the keeper and the offside player is able to score, guarantee 100% of the time that goal will not stand.

There was a similar incident in the Southampton game on Saturday (?), albeit the player missed but the flag had already gone up.
    That's the exception. A save doesn't play an offside player back onside, any other deliberate playing of the ball by an opponent does.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    That's the exception. A save doesn't play an offside player back onside, any other deliberate playing of the ball by an opponent does.
    Is this actually written anywhere?

What about a clearance off the line if the keeper has gone walkies?

So what about if Lovren hooks it off the line?

I've watched the second penalty many times. I still can't decide if it was a penalty. To me, it looks as if he pulled out of the challenge at the last second.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    So what about if Lovren hooks it off the line?
    That counts as a save. For the purposes of the offside rule 'a save is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body apart from the hands/arms (unless a goalkeeper within the penalty area).'

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...w-11---offside

To be honest, I don't think the offside laws are that complicated. The problem is that they're unfair on defenders in situations like Sunday. It has to be nonsense to claim that forward players aren't active (interfering with play) when it's clear that they are affecting how a defender deals with a pass or cross. Kane was standing within a yard or two of Lovren yet wasn't 'active'. Crazy.

Back and fore, back and fore, we can all debate as much as we like, it comes back to, "within the laws of the game it was a pelenty" (I don't agree with it) BUT

It still comes back to MOSS guessed,he did not know for sure, that any Liverpool defender touched the ball

The arrogant tw^t GUESSED

That counts as a save. For the purposes of the offside rule 'a save is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body apart from the hands/arms (unless a goalkeeper within the penalty area).'

To be honest, I don't think the offside laws are that complicated. The problem is that they're unfair on defenders in situations like Sunday. It has to be nonsense to claim that forward players aren't active (interfering with play) when it's clear that they are affecting how a defender deals with a pass or cross. Kane was standing within a yard or two of Lovren yet wasn't 'active'. Crazy.
    Thanks, make sense why they are always flagged then.

I think the second part of what you say is correct. I've seen strikers be offside, wait for defenders to cut the ball out and then nick it off them and go through. It's becoming a joke and we need tighter laws on who is active.

I don't like it when a striker starts offside, and then trundles into the box to score from the cross.