+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mendez-Laing was dropped on Saturday

Mendez-Laing was dropped on Saturday

According to Warnock "Like Pilkington, Feeney has been a revelation in training and I felt with Madine, if I needed a winger to get crosses in with 20 minutes to go, he would get more crosses in than Mendez."

That's interesting to hear that. I'd previously considered that Mendez-Laing was untouchable in our starting line-up. Now Zohore has been dropped to the bench as well. Clearly Neil Warnock has seen what he feels are problems and dealt with them. He's admitted previously this season that he's wanted to make changes but hadn't.

Re: Mendez-Laing was dropped on Saturday

nice to have the options, hopefully NML and Zohore now have to fight for their places back

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    According to Warnock "Like Pilkington, Feeney has been a revelation in training and I felt with Madine, if I needed a winger to get crosses in with 20 minutes to go, he would get more crosses in than Mendez."

That's interesting to hear that. I'd previously considered that Mendez-Laing was untouchable in our starting line-up. Now Zohore has been dropped to the bench as well. Clearly Neil Warnock has seen what he feels are problems and dealt with them. He's admitted previously this season that he's wanted to make changes but hadn't.
    I read that as Feeney would get crosses in and NM-L would not. In fairness Mendez-Lang isn't that kind of player.
    Kind of horses for courses so I wouldnt say he was 'dropped' but 'less preferred' to do a certain job.
    Agree he hasn't been firing as early on but he had that medication problem.
    Hopefully like big Ken he will still play a big part in our run-in.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I read that as Feeney would get crosses in and NM-L would not. In fairness Mendez-Lang isn't that kind of player.
    Kind of horses for courses so I wouldnt say he was 'dropped' but 'less preferred' to do a certain job.
    Agree he hasn't been firing as early on but he had that medication problem.
    Hopefully like big Ken he will still play a big part in our run-in.
    If Madine continues up front for us, then Feeney will likely be more important to us than NML. Agreed that he needs to be a big part of our run in with Zohore. Hopefully the competition will inspire everyone!

I can see Feeney making an impact. We now have a pretty potent aerial attack with Madine and Patterson, let alone our defenders being top quality and his crossing ability will be needed if matches are tight towards the end.

Nice to see options. Every forward position seems to have competition. NML can still be important. If he needs any inspiration then he only need look at Pilkington to see that its a long season and chances come again as long as you got the right attitude.

Feeney came on against Man City and showed he can make a good impact, getting crosses in. Maybe this is what Warnock has been working towards afterall and Mendez Laings good steak at the start of the season was just a stroke of luck?

Rochdale fans told us Mendez-Laing blows very hot and cold. I think he's particularly "cold" at the moment, so maybe a bit of time out of the firing line could do him good. I know a few fans that follow League One teams and they each said he was class so I think he just needs to find his feet again.

No NML, Richards, Bryson, Gunnarson, Bennett, Peltier, Connolly, D.Ward, Harris, Healey (& others I've forgotten) in the 18. Probably the most in depth squad we've had.

Both him and Zohore look knackered anyway