+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Watch

Re: Tomlin Watch

He has only scored twice this season. Both times against us. Shocking from Gunter in the build up to their goal. Totally out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    They’re not mutually exclusive.
    Yes I’m sure the Karanka would just let him walk around not trying for the other 70 minutes whilst he was blowing out of his arse

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes I’m sure the Karanka would just let him walk around not trying for the other 70 minutes whilst he was blowing out of his arse
    Or perhaps with the makeup of their squad Karanka sees Tomlin as their best hope of a goal regardless of his physical state so perseveres. Our squad is different, i think we have options and goals from a larger pool of fitter players. Warnock obviously feels the same and our situation against forrests sort of demonstrates it.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1927 View Post
    Or perhaps with the makeup of their squad Karanka sees Tomlin as their best hope of a goal regardless of his physical state so perseveres. Our squad is different, i think we have options and goals from a larger pool of fitter players. Warnock obviously feels the same and our situation against forrests sort of demonstrates it.
    Or perhaps, Tomlin does not have the fitness of a parks player as some on here would have you believe

Or perhaps, Tomlin does not have the fitness of a parks player as some on here would have you believe
    It's reasonable that some managers will tolerate a less mobile midfielder for the other skills he brings while others need other qualities from their players.

Nothing unusual about Tomlin playing a full game for Forest in that respect. I just don't expect he's been that quick during the match.

Will be interesting to hear some Forest fans view on how he's playing. I'd love him to come back here much fitter and able to contribute.

Or the rest of the team are doing all the donkey work for him.

There’s no doubt he’s a cracking player but we need everyone giving everything 100% of the time to go up automatically

I wouldn't suggest that Tomlin isn't a fit footballer. However, there are levels, and i don't think Warnock trusts his fitness or his attitude enough to put in a full shift as he does others. Things are obviously different with Katanka and Forrest. Good luck to the guy, he is a talent, just not a talent our club and management are willing to indulge in. Shame in some ways but i wouldn't swap what we have and where we are with our team or league position to see a trick in and out when the player fancies it.

Perhaps he just likes scoring against Reading

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Perhaps he just likes scoring against Reading
    The **** has cost us four points this season

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    It's reasonable that some managers will tolerate a less mobile midfielder for the other skills he brings while others need other qualities from their players.

Nothing unusual about Tomlin playing a full game for Forest in that respect. I just don't expect he's been that quick during the match.

Will be interesting to hear some Forest fans view on how he's playing. I'd love him to come back here much fitter and able to contribute.
    Totally understand that which makes Warnock signing him in the first place an odd one as he’s not going to charge around for 90 minutes, and isn’t a Warnock type player.

However, he’s been rubbished on here as someone who’s about 4 stone overweight and can’t play more than 20 minutes.

Whilst he might not be expected to do as much running for Forest as he would for us if he was as disgraceful as people are saying he wouldn’t have just played 2 full matches in 4 days at championship level.

Even if he gets fitter as long as Warnock is here I don’t see any way back for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The **** has cost us four points this season
    A drop in the ocean of points your defence has cost you 😂 but i understand the sentiment.

Apparently played good tonight.

Totally understand that which makes Warnock signing him in the first place an odd one as he’s not going to charge around for 90 minutes, and isn’t a Warnock type player.

However, he’s been rubbished on here as someone who’s about 4 stone overweight and can’t play more than 20 minutes.

Whilst he might not be expected to do as much running for Forest as he would for us if he was as disgraceful as people are saying he wouldn’t have just played 2 full matches in 4 days at championship level.

Even if he gets fitter as long as Warnock is here I don’t see any way back for him.
    In hindsight the signing may seem strange now. I think Tomlin was Warnocks stab at a Taarabt style figurehead for the team. Our stardust. It hasnt worked out. Hoillet and NML (initially) provided the team that magic. We have not needed Tomlin. Maybe it's as simple as that. His QPR team would not have been promoted without that little sprinkle of stardust in my opinion. I think we can go up almost in spite of it!

Just saw the goal. Composed finish from Tomlin tonight and took up a very good position in order to receive the chance.

Just watched the highlights on Sky. He was involved in everything positive Forest did. Created a few chances, few dribbles, some lovely passes and took his goal very well.

It’s a shame we never got to see that here apart from the odd glimpse off the bench.

Pearcey you were lucky to get a point based on the highlights!!

Just watched the highlights on Sky. He was involved in everything positive Forest did. Created a few chances, few dribbles, some lovely passes and took his goal very well.

It’s a shame we never got to see that here apart from the odd glimpse off the bench.
    He fed off scraps largely when with us. Forest seem to be actually playing the ball to his feet.

If Tomlin would've played for us at the start of the season before all this hoofball nonsense he would've done a LOT better imo. That being said I doubt he would've been better than Damour, Ralls & Gunnarson going by the form they were in back then. But that's besides the point.

In hindsight the signing may seem strange now. I think Tomlin was Warnocks stab at a Taarabt style figurehead for the team. Our stardust. It hasnt worked out. Hoillet and NML (initially) provided the team that magic. We have not needed Tomlin. Maybe it's as simple as that. His QPR team would not have been promoted without that little sprinkle of stardust in my opinion. I think we can go up almost in spite of it!
    I agree with most of that, although I think Hoilett is providing a fair bit of the stardust that Warnock previously had with Taarabt and maybe hoped to get with Tomlin.

It's possible Tomlin will come good for us next year if we are still in the Championship and Warnock is still manager - but that doesn't look likely at the moment. The court case and community service, the travelling (why wasn't a move to Cardiff from Leicester a contract requirement?) and the fitness issues, combined with the form of others has made the Tomlin signing a rare mistake by Warnock.

I wouldn't suggest that Tomlin isn't a fit footballer. However, there are levels, and i don't think Warnock trusts his fitness or his attitude enough to put in a full shift as he does others. Things are obviously different with Katanka and Forrest. Good luck to the guy, he is a talent, just not a talent our club and management are willing to indulge in. Shame in some ways but i wouldn't swap what we have and where we are with our team or league position to see a trick in and out when the player fancies it.
    There is also the possibility that he is putting in the work in training at Forest that he may not have been putting in here - I think most players would probably be prepared to do that bit more if they are playing for someone who they feel appreciates them more than some other managers do.

For me, Tomlin definitely looked off the pace when he played during the first three months or so of the season (possibly because of his impending court case?), but it was not so apparent in the games he played for us after that.

A lot of love for Tomlin on social media. Wonder whether he's eligible to play against us in April? Could be interesting if he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    A lot of love for Tomlin on social media. Wonder whether he's eligible to play against us in April? Could be interesting if he is.
    He can't, FL terms state players can't play against their parent clubs. Hopefully they build the team around him and then that affects them when they play us. Best case scenario is he does really well for Forest and we can get a nice fee for him.

Cheers. I thought the parent club was given the choice.

This has already been covered in other threads, but for the sake of continuity.....our intrepid loanee was the star attraction at Loftus Road on Saturday as Forest won 5-2. He scored twice - the second of which was a beauty - and set up a third, as well as getting booked and substituted with 20 minutes left.

Apologies if this has been covered in other posts, but his Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/Leetomlin10) makes for interesting reading. As well as celebrating our win and trolling the Wurzles beautifully, he also makes reference to Warnock and his departure. Tomlin seems to be the Brexit of this board in terms of dividing opinion, but for those of us who'd love to see him back in a blue shirt (like me), it offers some hope that we might not have seen the last of him. Tomlin to star in the Premier League for City.....?

Another assist for tomlin but can't play 20 mins here

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Another assist for tomlin but can't play 20 mins here
    Different styles suit different players. He clearly needed games and NW didn't think he'd use him here as he wasn't fit enough for our system when he left. I hope he continues to play brilliantly for Forest and either comes back to us a fitter player, or we get a large transfer fee for him if that's best for both parties.