+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nigel Owens is a bluebird

Re: Nigel Owens is a bluebird

Anyone who's played football knows what a physical game it is.
    Makes me laugh when Rugby people dismiss it as wendyball, spoken out of pure ignorance.
    They'd have a rude awakening if they ever played it competitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Anyone who's played football knows what a physical game it is.
    Makes me laugh when Rugby people dismiss it as wendyball, spoken out of pure ignorance.
    They'd have a rude awakening if they ever played it competitively.
    In fairness it has become something like wendyball in the professional game the last few years though you are right at grass roots level.
    Some are probably on a wind up because there are a few rugby players I know who know how tough it can be.

Edit: also I know a few failed footballers turned to rugby

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Come on, it's not as if he's sh1t on a table or something.
    Id like to see him ref that one. 'Penalty! pushing too early, come on now boys its not soccer'. 'On my mark boys' and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    In fairness it has become something like wendyball in the professional game the last few years though you are right at grass roots level.
    Some are probably on a wind up because there are a few rugby players I know who know how tough it can be.

Edit: also I know a few failed footballers turned to rugby
    It has turned a lot softer in recent years of, at least on the face of it, and grass roots football is by nature more scrappy etc but I think the sheer physicality of most top level footballers means that they're stronger and fitter than ever before, so many aspects of the modern game are more physical I would guess. It's just the heavy/dangerous tackles that have gone out of the game for the most part and the handful of divers/cheats that give it a bad rep for being a soft sport.

And yes, agree that a lot of rugby players would have a shock if they were put in a professional game, especially when they realise they can't just throw their weight around and need to use thier bodies in a far more skillful way.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    I don’t like him, so there. Especially when he penalises someone and says in the most ridiculous welshiest accent possible “stop it now, it’s not soccer” grrrrrrrrrr

What's commonly known as rugby to most is actually Rugby Football.

Assuming that in his mind the game he is involved in is important to him I suppose its easier and quicker to differentiate between the games by calling it soccer. Seeing as it seems a phrase he uses on a regular basis, then I guess him saying "stop it, this is rugby football not association football" and then having to explain what he means to players from many countries, which could possibly add another 10 mins to a game.

Or maybe he should just find a new favorite witty coment.

I need an eye test. I read that as Nigel Owens is a bender.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Did you really

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Well he’s certainly not a Bluebird.