+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chinese Super League

Chinese Super League

If only clubs could curb their spending back home, too....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42954937

Interesting to read about Freddie Kanoute's time there. I was in Beijing during his time there and went to watch a CSL match on a whim. His was the only name that I recognised.

It ended up as a turgid 0-0 draw, and it was before most of the big names were there, but the atmosphere was incredible. The section we were sat in was full of noise and they were bouncing and chanting for the whole match.

I even bought a replica shirt for my collection which is at home somewhere. I think it was made in China so it's probably dissolved by now.

Re: Chinese Super League

I always think of this now when thinking of the Chinese league

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42700690

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    If only clubs could curb their spending back home, too....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42954937

Interesting to read about Freddie Kanoute's time there. I was in Beijing during his time there and went to watch a CSL match on a whim. His was the only name that I recognised.

It ended up as a turgid 0-0 draw, and it was before most of the big names were there, but the atmosphere was incredible. The section we were sat in was full of noise and they were bouncing and chanting for the whole match.

I even bought a replica shirt for my collection which is at home somewhere. I think it was made in China so it's probably dissolved by now.
    Ni Hao! This is actually my line of industry. Originated from Cardiff but now a football consultant in Guangzhou for Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao. You would not believe the amount of money the goverment is throwing at football at the moment. Every single person in schools is now playing soccer and its being forced on them. All schools are getting state of the art pitches and facilities too.

Quote Originally Posted by guangzhoublue View Post
    Ni Hao! This is actually my line of industry. Originated from Cardiff but now a football consultant in Guangzhou for Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao. You would not believe the amount of money the goverment is throwing at football at the moment. Every single person in schools is now playing soccer and its being forced on them. All schools are getting state of the art pitches and facilities too.

That's quite a sweeping statement there.

That might be the case in some of the more prestigious schools in first tier cities, such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. However, the reality is still far removed from that.
    Most Chinese cities are heavily built up areas, where land is at a premium ... why have a football pitch when investors could develop yet another shopping centre or a high-rise apartment complex? - China is all about profit!

I don't see those small playground areas being stripped of their obligatory basketball courts and replaced by football pitches any time soon.

When would students in China ever find the time to practice football anyway?

Take high school students, for example ... they usually start their first lesson at around 7.30am and will finish school at about 6pm and then return after they've had evening dinner at around 7.30pm to do self-study classes until 10pm. If they haven't managed to finish their homework during this time they will usually to do it when they get home.
    Weekends are usually taken up with private lessons in maths, English, Chinese etc. that their parents push them into.

I don't know of any primary or middle school where football is part of the curriculum in the city where I live (albeit a small city, with just 3 million people!).

So to say that every single person in school is playing football simply is not true. It might be China's goal (excuse the pun) but at this moment they've barely scratched the surface.