+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testimonials

Testimonials

There's a campaign on another forum to give an ex-footballer a testimonial. The odd thing is that the footballer in question has been promised a testimonial by the club, and they are awaiting a response from him.

I wonder what the real motives for this campaign actually are, especially when we consider the leader is campaigning for an event he has little interest in attending.

Re: Testimonials

As I seem to have said relatively recently:

This is almost guaranteed to be another **** up by the club whereby Peter Whittingham is given a testimonial in the March international break, where a number of our fans are away following Wales and so will be unable to attend (as with Kevin McNaughton's enjoyable yet lowly-attended testimonial last year).

Gavin Rae needs a biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    There's a campaign on another forum to give an ex-footballer a testimonial. The odd thing is that the footballer in question has been promised a testimonial by the club, and they are awaiting a response from him.

I wonder what the real motives for this campaign actually are, especially when we consider the leader is campaigning for an event he has little interest in attending.
    He may not attend (for reasons he made clear some time back) but at least he still supports Cardiff City and he has consistently stated that Whitts was one of his favourite players. I wonder what your agenda is in criticising his campaign when you don't support us any more?

This thread should just be pulled. Serves no purpose except to cause childish tit for tat with the other forum.

I wasn’t the Colonels biggest fan but you seem to have a serious problem with him.

Why don’t you go over there and ask him if you’re so concerned instead of doing your mouthing from here?

FFS my posts have been deleted again!

Will someone have the courtesy to be grown up enough to explain why??

Are testimonials that necessary in an era when footballers earn such gargantuan salaries? If such things take place merely as a sign of respect that's no bad thing - but I thought they were originally organised in less lucrative times in order to send off players (usually into retirement) with a few bob in their pocket.

I believe testimonials are getting less and less of a thing as the years move on.

Assumed this post was aimed at another person until I seen the post by JR.

I had one massive row in one thread with the poster, can't really say I've mentioned him since, bit silly to hold any sort of grudge on the internet isn't it.
    If i had their type of humour I'd consider using that place as a second board, I get bored working nights.... As it is im happy with the one..

Probably best to leave threads like this in the bin. Bit childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    FFS my posts have been deleted again!

Will someone have the courtesy to be grown up enough to explain why??
    Just applying a little logic, you barely posted on here in the 5 years you were a member, you only come on here to post links to the other place, which Mike has explained his reasons fir not wanting, and then you’ve been running back and forth all night crying about the modding on this place giving updates on what you’ve posted, what’s been deleted etc like you are some kind of martyr 😂

And you are asking the mods to give you a grown up explanation ffs?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Are testimonials that necessary in an era when footballers earn such gargantuan salaries? If such things take place merely as a sign of respect that's no bad thing - but I thought they were originally organised in less lucrative times in order to send off players (usually into retirement) with a few bob in their pocket.
    The proceeds go to charity nowadays, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    This thread should just be pulled. Serves no purpose except to cause childish tit for tat with the other forum.

I wasn’t the Colonels biggest fan but you seem to have a serious problem with him.

Why don’t you go over there and ask him if you’re so concerned instead of doing your mouthing from here?
    The purpose of the thread is to highlight that the club have already promised Whittingham a testimonial. We have Gloucester Blue complaining that his threads were being pulled - he hasn't received an explanation. So, I thought I'd try opening a debate by giving my view which is the the campaign only works if the club are refusing a testimonial. They're not. He left less than 12 months ago.- give the club a chance.

As for testimonials, Whittingham earnt more in a week than some fans earn a year. I think there are better ways to recognize long service - especially when players are so well rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    My view is they are a way to show gratitude to our best/ favourite players. Most of the players tend to give the money to charity these days, which is certainly what Super Kev did. For me it was a good day out, a chance to thank Kev for his service to us fans, and I even got to see Damon Searle score a goal!

The purpose of the thread is to highlight that the club have already promised Whittingham a testimonial. We have Gloucester Blue complaining that his threads were being pulled - he hasn't received an explanation. So, I thought I'd try opening a debate by giving my view which is the the campaign only works if the club are refusing a testimonial. They're not. He left less than 12 months ago.- give the club a chance.

As for testimonials, Whittingham earnt more in a week than some fans earn a year. I think there are better ways to recognize long service - especially when players are so well rewarded.
    What better ways to recognise a footballer's long service than a football match?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The proceeds go to charity nowadays, I think.
    I think you are right - but it's not that simple. Some testimonials have seen the player(s) given an appearance fee.

I went to Graham Moseley's testimonial v West Ham - that was because his career was cut short by a car crash. I also went to Perry's testimonial because we know him quite well and he wasn't earning a fortune.

Whitts will get a testimonial if he wants one - however I wouldn't be at all surprised if he isn't interested. Although, maybe I have missed something in the press where he has expressed disappointment at not getting one?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What better ways to recognise a footballer's long service than a football match?
    With free entry - I agree.

Yes of course, it was just to open debate, and not to have a dig at a certain individual, especially when one of only two paragraphs were dedicated to him.

"I wonder what the real motives for this campaign actually are, especially when we consider the leader is campaigning for an event he has little interest in attending"

Thats a bit rich coming from you when you have no interest in attending yourself.

I might look for an ironing forum, I've no interest in ironing and haven't actually ironed for over two years, but I might like to start discussing ironing again.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Onto the topic itself Whitts is my favourite player in 27 years supporting the club, and it would have been nice for him to have a proper send off but Warnock ballsed that up. Double subbed him in a meaningless game for the team, but probably Whitts last home game, was a bit crass for my liking. Whitts knew it was his last home game, Warnock knew it and all this will he / wont he sign a new reduced contract in the media was just a front but hey worst things happen in the world.

Fast forward nearly 12 months, Whitts is now signed with another club, is currently injured, and we as a club are right in the mix for the play-offs and automatics so have bigger fish to fry this season. Therefore, not the right time to be campaigning for a testimonial, or reminding the club / player that one is on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Onto the topic itself Whitts is my favourite player in 27 years supporting the club, and it would have been nice for him to have a proper send off but Warnock ballsed that up. Double subbed him in a meaningless game for the club, but probably Whitts last home game, was a bit crass for my liking. Whitts knew it was his last home game, Warnock knew it and all this will he / wont he sign a new reduced contract in the media was just a front but worst things in the world.

Fast forward nearly 12 months, Whitts is now signed with another club, is currently injured, and we as a club are right in the mix for the play-offs and automatics so have bigger fish to fry this season. Therefore, not the right time to be campaigning for a testimonial, or reminding the club / player that one is on the table.
    Went to a few games before we got half season tickets this year my daughter likes it..

Didn't realise how much she took in for a girl until she said "dad where is Bamba why isn't he playing" at the man city game..she's getting to know the players.

I'd love to be able to take her to the ccs to watch Whitts play so she can see one of my favourite players spray the ball about.

Need to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I might look for an ironing forum, I've no interest in ironing and haven't actually ironed for over two years, but I might like to start discussing ironing again.

Anyone point me in the right direction?
    http://www.kumb.com/forum/index.php

Went to a few games before we got half season tickets this year my daughter likes it..

Didn't realise how much she took in for a girl until she said "dad where is Bamba why isn't he playing" at the man city game..she's getting to know the players.

I'd love to be able to take her to the ccs to watch Whitts play so she can see one of my favourite players spray the ball about.

Need to happen.
    Should have happened at the end of last season IMO. Instead of having one for Kev the day after a Wales word cup qualifier then at the end of the season a Kev XI v Whitts XI. Double celebration of two fans favourites.

I certainly dont think the club need to be bothering themselves with such a campaign now in the business end of a possible promotion season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    Nothing there about squirting fabreze over a shirt before ironing, or whether to put it inside the iron.

Load of fecking football posts.

Time for bed..been a long old night shift.

Nothing there about squirting fabreze over a shirt before ironing, or whether to put it inside the iron.
    Load of fecking football posts.
    Just a load of old irons, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Gavin Rae needs a biggie
    I never realised that he was here for ten years

While your at it ask them when Peter King and Don Murray testimonials are