+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testimonials

Re: Testimonials

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Onto the topic itself Whitts is my favourite player in 27 years supporting the club, and it would have been nice for him to have a proper send off but Warnock ballsed that up. Double subbed him in a meaningless game for the team, but probably Whitts last home game, was a bit crass for my liking. Whitts knew it was his last home game, Warnock knew it and all this will he / wont he sign a new reduced contract in the media was just a front but hey worst things happen in the world.

Fast forward nearly 12 months, Whitts is now signed with another club, is currently injured, and we as a club are right in the mix for the play-offs and automatics so have bigger fish to fry this season. Therefore, not the right time to be campaigning for a testimonial, or reminding the club / player that one is on the table.
    Agree with all of that, and Whitts was uncharacteristically showing his annoyance at Warnock's treatment. Maybe Whitts doesn't want a testimonial.

In 2001 Ryan Giggs made a tax free sum of a million quid from his testimonial against Celtic. I have no idea if it went to charity. I'm not singling out Giggs, but the testimonial should be reserved for players who need the cash.

Alternatives to testimonials? Why not have a "Peter Whittingham man of the match' award? Or a player of the season award in his name? Or, more apt, a goal of the season award. He can present it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes of course, it was just to open debate, and not to have a dig at a certain individual, especially when one of only two paragraphs were dedicated to him.

"I wonder what the real motives for this campaign actually are, especially when we consider the leader is campaigning for an event he has little interest in attending"

Thats a bit rich coming from you when you have no interest in attending yourself.
    No present interest. Slade resulted in you losing interest, Tan is the reason I have no current interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    FFS my posts have been deleted again!

Will someone have the courtesy to be grown up enough to explain why??
    urgh... mods being ultra petty

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The proceeds go to charity nowadays, I think.
    That's very laudable.

So we are not left out.

PWT gif.jpg

Why should testimonials be reserved for people who need money?

****ing nonsense.

Plenty of United fans would have wanted to see Giggs in a testimonial.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I never realised that he was here for ten years
    130 apps 7 goals ledge, nqat Gav don't need ten year shite

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Why should testimonials be reserved for people who need money?

****ing nonsense.

Plenty of United fans would have wanted to see Giggs in a testimonial.
    Why should players who earn more in a week than many people earn in 5 years get a tax-free pay day? The thing is, Giggs' testimonial happened whilst he was still playing - and he had many more years ahead of him. Plenty of United fans would have had plenty of opportunities to see him (unless they only attended Welsh friendlies).

There are more appropriate ways to honour wealthy players, and indeed, managers. Wouldn't it be better to have a Q&A session at CCS with Whittingham where he can give anyone interested a warts 'n' all account of his time at Cardiff? I think that would be far more interesting than seeing a cameo appearance.

I think a brutally honest public speaking engagement would be ideal for someone with Whitts' character.

I think a brutally honest public speaking engagement would be ideal for someone with Whitts' character.
    I'm sure he has some stories to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I'm sure he has some stories to tell.
    And he's just the outspoken controversial type who would relish the opportunity to air them, I think you're on the money here mate.

And he's just the outspoken controversial type who would relish the opportunity to air them, I think you're on the money here mate.
    Why does it have to be controversial?

Why does it have to be controversial?
    Hold on! We're both getting Bellamy and whittingham mixed up!

Whittingham is the guy who doesn't even like people looking at him when he's just scored a goal. I'm not so sure that him doing a Q&A, even a really boring one, is quite right for him.

Maybe a nice game of football?

Hold on! We're both getting Bellamy and whittingham mixed up!

Whittingham is the guy who doesn't even like people looking at him when he's just scored a goal. I'm not so sure that him doing a Q&A, even a really boring one, is quite right for him.

Maybe a nice game of football?
    Well, maybe he doesn't want that attention either? However, this campaign has obviously been started because Whittingham has expressed disappointment that there has been no testimonial to date, and that the club are refusing him one.... oh hang on, I'm getting Whittingham confused with Social Media.

Why should players who earn more in a week than many people earn in 5 years get a tax-free pay day? The thing is, Giggs' testimonial happened whilst he was still playing - and he had many more years ahead of him. Plenty of United fans would have had plenty of opportunities to see him (unless they only attended Welsh friendlies).

There are more appropriate ways to honour wealthy players, and indeed, managers. Wouldn't it be better to have a Q&A session at CCS with Whittingham where he can give anyone interested a warts 'n' all account of his time at Cardiff? I think that would be far more interesting than seeing a cameo appearance.
    Giggs was an example.

I wasn't saying these high profile players should do them for the cash, point I was making was fans would like to see it happen, Not just to see him play but for whatbthe occasion is.